Reducing Reliance On Food

Sorry Luke. Bit grumpy. :rofl:

Kavik is wanting doggie to focus ahead for agility. I reckon it is a tad hard if you have been asking for face focus, but with Poppy I have been putting her tug out in front and waiting for her to focus on that. Marking and releasing when she does look ahead. Toss your food forwards etc

Luke don't forget Barkley is still a baby. I like to pretend I have food even if I don't, sort of with hand movements. It does take a little while to build up to a whole obedience round minus food. Don't stress you will get there.

Release is very important for agility though so make sure you have a really sound wait and release.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke don't forget Barkley is still a baby. I like to pretend I have food even if I don't, sort of with hand movements. It does take a little while to build up to a whole obedience round minus food. Don't stress you will get there.

hehe - I know what you mean. Barkly knows what a hand movement toward my pocket means!

it's so hard to be patient!

I guess one of the problems is I see these obedience/schutzhund/doggie dancing/agility dogs on YouTube and that's sets the bar pretty high!

Not sure if this helps but I was watching a video on 2o/2o contacts and they said reward the dog from the opposite side to where you are standing. So they don't start automatically turning there head back to look for you. Is that what you were having problems with? I am not particularly clear at explaining it so my apology if its not clear.

Or what about placing the reward out in front of the target and releasing the dog forward to the reward. Would be easier if you had a second person to remove the reward should your dog self release but it might still be workable. Else could you click and throw the reward forward so the dog drives ahead rather than looks back at you.

Unless you are sh!t at throwing treats like moi.....then your dog goes AWOL. :rofl: :cool:

Luke I hold my treat in my left hand, with my hand sort of a bit above my waist (to get upwards look). I might stick the treat out of my hand or I might have it in my fist. She basically doesn't know if I have it there or not.

Here you go Luke W - my pesky 9 month old BC.

This is what we spend most of our time doing.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=driDwv6CvD0

And here she is doing some training the other night:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ygufKZm1lvk

Thanks for that!!

Barkly's not quite so focused with ball.

His heel work (on a good day) is probably on par with yours.

I noticed the bark - I feel so much better now !!

Luke I hold my treat in my left hand, with my hand sort of a bit above my waist (to get upwards look). I might stick the treat out of my hand or I might have it in my fist. She basically doesn't know if I have it there or not.

Yep, that's what I'm doing too. Except Barkly knows :rofl:

I won't tell you that was Kenzie on a bad day :rofl: . Actually she is a devil because she will offer me longer and nicer heelwork when I don't ask for it. The problem I have with Kenzie is that if I push duration too hard depending on her mood she just gets jumpy and starts trying to self reward on my sleeve. She can give me 30 seconds minimum with absolutely nothing visible or hidden on me to reward. That was maybe back in November and I have been rather slack since. Spending more time working on stays now so I can start work on some of the agility type exercises which require the dog to wait at the startline - jump grids and SG's one jump work.

Jules there is nothing in there - at least not the first time. I still find it harder to reward in good position when I have the food not in my hand and as she pushes me as hard if the food/toy is in there as it is when its not there I tend to mix it up. On the whole she has more sessions with no food/toy present then she does with it in there but since she has been starting to forge ahead a bit I wanted to be able to reward better in position which mean't putting the food/toy back in the hand.

Edited by ness

I don't ask for face focus with Kaos but I do with Diesel, as they are doing different disciplines.

I can throw the food but want to build up duration first, if I click then throw food he is likely to touch the target plate and then run to where he thinks the food will be. At the moment he is touching target plate and looking at me when I click. I am rewarding by tossing food so it lands near the target plate at the moment. I could try rewarding from opposite side, haven't tried that yet. I tried putting the reward forward, but he will either self reward or be hesitant about going to it at the moment. Probably should work on that. Would be easier with another person to help!