My Little Girl

Reddii

After all the heavy threads in the section of late (I do like them) I thought I'd post one of our lighter training moments of recent times.

We were at a jumping work shop the other week (Susan Salo jumping run by Cathy Slot - HIGHLY recommended BTW) and Xena was on the start line of one jumping grid when she got bitten by a March Fly. The poor little girl knows that you don't move your feet when you are on a start line so she decided to bend right around and chew at her rump without moving her front feet. :happydance: Looked most odd and took a minute to work out what she was actually doing.

I didn't know whether to laugh at her or cry for her or reward her for being such a good girl.

Has anyone else caught their dogs being good like this lately?

Aww, what a cute story. I have another one where I couldn't decide whether it was good or not :(

We've just finished the intermediate class at our local club so nothing particularly advanced.

I mentioned to the trainer that we were having some problems with recalls as he especially loves to do the "fly by". So she comes over with me to watch as I put him in a stay, walk to the end of the long line, say "come"... he bolts to me so fast he can't stop in time, crashes into me, sits ON my feet and rests his head on my tummy, looking up at me.

"What's wrong with that?" says the trainer.

He'd never done it before and he's never done it since, are we sure dogs don't do things just to embarrass us? :p

Edited by wuffles

My GSD also loves the fast recall to heal ... unfortunately one day it was particularly wet and muddy so as he came flying up to me, he just couldn't stop in time and skidded into me sending me flying onto my back. He couldn't understand why he was healing beautifully and I was laying on my back ... so he then sat on me. Needless to say we went home absolutely covered in mud (good thing I didn't have to get into the car but could walk home).

Mine was Jazz getting her PT back in October. I have done very little work with her for herding and did not think she knew her side comands.

We got to the pen and were having a few hassles (stupid handler!) and I gave her a command and then thought darn she doesn't know them properly as she moved the "wrong" way only to realise she had actually moved exactly where I had told her to and I had said the wrong thing. After that I gave her a few more commands and she took the correct direction every time.

They do make you proud at times, even though the penning looked disastrous I was thrilled as she did exactly what I asked of her (after I had already put myself in a stupid spot)