Evo

Paganman

Guest belgian.blue

most won't go near it as it's supplied by PP. Who sell live pets. I'm personally more interested in giving my pup a good dry food.

I use California Natura (same company as Evo)l for my pup and she's doing well on it. Kibble that actually smells like real fish .. thats what I like! I really like that it has large bites that Ivy has to chew before swollowing. She eats a few pieces at a time. Most kibble is quite small and requires no chewing for larger breeds.

My cat gets the kitty type and she loves it!

Cal Nat I've found is cheaper than Evo. I use the Herring and Sweet Potato with my pup. As I want to keep her off chicken. Quite a fishy smell but it smells real :confused:

I 2nd Belg Blue on the California Natural. I feed the Chicken and Rice dry kibble to our Collies. They love it and the kibble is large enough for them to have to chew it and not just swallow it whole.

Their coats have a lovely glean to them and their poops are nice and normal

It is a great product.

I was using it as a back up food, i.e when I didn't have raw defrosted or on "junk food" nights, so about once every 10 days to 2 weeks with no issue.

Forgot to get a bag for a while and then bought a new bag back in about Oct/Nov. Not happy with the new bag as it has an almost instantaneous heating effect on my dog. It is like I have just taken her for a big run, you can clearly see the increase in her respiration.

Last time I fed it she woke me at 4.15 am absolutely desperate to go to the loo as she had a belly ache. She's never done this before and I haven't fed it since.

BTW I was using it as my dog doesn't seem to tolerate grain or preservatives.

Guest belgian.blue
I was using it as a back up food, i.e when I didn't have raw defrosted or on "junk food" nights, so about once every 10 days to 2 weeks with no issue.

Forgot to get a bag for a while and then bought a new bag back in about Oct/Nov. Not happy with the new bag as it has an almost instantaneous heating effect on my dog. It is like I have just taken her for a big run, you can clearly see the increase in her respiration.

Last time I fed it she woke me at 4.15 am absolutely desperate to go to the loo as she had a belly ache. She's never done this before and I haven't fed it since.

I've found with Ivy if she doesn't have Cal Nat every second/third day then it is like starting her fresh on the food .. if she gets her normal amount and hasn't had any for about four days she gets the runs.

Being a rich food its something you must keep in the dogs routine. Not a kibble you can feed every now and then.

So I'm giving it to her every second day now. Her poops are fantastic. Her coat gleans in the sunshine :thumbsup:

If you read my post again BB you will see I had no problem with the product originally, even being fed once every few weeks. I've never had any other product giving her a bellyache either fed in similar fashion, just the fact that she spends a week scratching herself to pieces due to the itchies.

I've found with Ivy if she doesn't have Cal Nat every second/third day then it is like starting her fresh on the food .. if she gets her normal amount and hasn't had any for about four days she gets the runs.

Being a rich food its something you must keep in the dogs routine. Not a kibble you can feed every now and then.

So I'm giving it to her every second day now. Her poops are fantastic. Her coat gleans in the sunshine :rolleyes:

whatcha feeding on the other days BB? Wasnt she going really with it daily?

Guest belgian.blue

She gets lamb meat every morning as well as lamb bones of some sort every second/third day, which she chews the meat and fat off and then plays with the bone.

I wasn't keen on having a dog on dry food every day. She needs real fat and meat too :rolleyes: Ivy got nuts over lamb meat!! Which I get at a really great price per kilo too.

Jess, understand. Were you feeding Evo or Cal Nat?

She gets lamb meat every morning as well as lamb bones of some sort every second/third day, which she chews the meat and fat off and then plays with the bone.

I wasn't keen on having a dog on dry food every day. She needs real fat and meat too :laugh: Ivy got nuts over lamb meat!! Which I get at a really great price per kilo too.

Jess, understand. Were you feeding Evo or Cal Nat?

Evo - never tried Cal Natural as I suspect it is the grain or the preservatives that make her itchy.

Just means there is no more back up food and I have to be more organised. The other night she had an apple, some yoghurt and a handful of leftover steak pieces from training for her dinner. :rolleyes: She did have an entire roo tail for brekky so it wasn't like she was starving.

Guest belgian.blue
California Natural is designed as a hypo-allergenic food with several varieties-herring and sweet potato, chicken and rice etc

Mine have it every day and they Love it

I choose the Herring and sweet potato due to it being chicken, rice and preservative free. From the amount I've looked this seems to be the only chicken free kibble you can get with ease and for a good price.

Jess, I would (as with IR) highly recommend looking out for Cal Nat :love:

Evo's probably a good product but only available through PP and its subsidiaries so I won't buy it on principle. Actually by restricting the product to PP I think they're doing themselves a disservice because it's usually breeders and show people not pet owners who tend to buy the expensive foods and a lot of them won't even consider Evo simply because it's sold by PP. This is probably why they have so many bags over their use by date. If Evo could be purchased from outlets that didn't sell live animals I think many more people would buy it.

Edited by Miranda

Guest belgian.blue
Evo's probably a good product but only available through PP and its subsidiaries so I won't buy it on principle. Actually by restricting the product to PP I think they're doing themselves a disservice because it's usually breeders and show people not pet owners who tend to buy the expensive foods and a lot of them won't even consider Evo simply because it's sold by PP. This is probably why they have so many bags over their use by date. If Evo could be purchased from outlets that didn't sell live animals I think many more people would buy it.

Obviously.

IR and myself are going to try and work on getting them to start doing this in 2009. As it's a great selection of food.

Inspector Rex .. how is your friend able to stock Cal Nat?

Edited by belgian.blue

Inspector Rex's friend works for Pet Goods Direct if I remember correctly? A company that is part of the Global group (Pets Paradise etc).

If you have some way of persuading the parent company of Evo, Cal Nat and Innova to make the food available to any other importer, then we would be delighted. Certainly our efforts, along with those of a number of other retailers, have fallen on deaf ears.

Sags

Guest belgian.blue
Inspector Rex's friend works for Pet Goods Direct if I remember correctly? A company that is part of the Global group (Pets Paradise etc).

If you have some way of persuading the parent company of Evo, Cal Nat and Innova to make the food available to any other importer, then we would be delighted. Certainly our efforts, along with those of a number of other retailers, have fallen on deaf ears.

Sags

uhuh! But she only sells goldfish .. good girl :)

Defiantly going to give it my best. No idea on how just yet but if anyone has any ideas/suggestions them share them!

I think we may all need to band together and set up a plan ...

QUOTE (belgian.blue @ 22nd Dec 2008 - 01:51 PM) *

uhuh! But she only sells goldfish .. good girl smile.gif

don't forget the bunnies smile.gif

well thats OK then. I mean its only puppies and kittens that suffer in pet stores.

If someone wanted to be ethical they would start their own store NOT go under the PP umbrella company and pretend they have nothing to do with the whole puppies and kittens in pet stores thing.

Edited by Nekhbet

Guest belgian.blue
Thanks for the info everyone I should of guessed it was one of the petfoods sold by PP. Needless to say I wont be trying it.

Do you live anywhere near Cranbourne VIC?