50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

Definitely still learning how to use it, the shallow depth of field is something I have to watch out for! Missed a few great portraits today because an eye wasnt in focus etc. Anyone got some fool-proof tips?

Here's one I liked, just a street candid:

4228076424_7fcf6894f4.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks JS :hug: That's a great idea, I might follow suit! I also picked up another lens today but that can always be February :rofl:

ETA: Just thought I'd test the low light capabilities of the lens. Took these tonight with only a lamp on in the room, 1/25 f/1.8. Nothing special, just a sleepy cav!

17858_106679726011927_100000097007927_172833_1527229_n.jpg

17858_106679686011931_100000097007927_172831_5000428_n.jpg

Edited by Snap

I got one today :( Canon 50mm f/1.8 at JB Hi-Fi, got it for $120 ;)

oo oo oo - so did I!!!!

I am blaming this thread too.

I was looking at the f1.4 but wondered whether for an amateur like me it was going to be worth the extra amount. When I found out that there weren't any in adelaide (well a second hand one at the photo wholesalers...) kinda made me lean toward the 1.8.

I will need lessons I think. Am trying to manage the focal point thing. Took a few of my nieces today but don't like any of them.

Definitely still learning how to use it, the shallow depth of field is something I have to watch out for! Missed a few great portraits today because an eye wasnt in focus etc. Anyone got some fool-proof tips?

Here's one I liked, just a street candid:

I would love some tips too - (canon eos users especially).

OK, I succumbed and bought the 1.8. Would have liked the 1.4 but as I shouldn't have even bought the 1.8 after my Christmas sales splurge on a fridge, I thought I'd better not :)

First go

4230276684_545ff042da.jpg

4230277058_ff6efa531e.jpg

4229509069_c66f53d861.jpg

Rogan is less than thrilled at yet more reason to shove a camera in his face!

4229510603_436c038c44.jpg

4230275700_7a6263551d.jpg

So many fabulous photos here, I havent been in here for a long time so last night waded through about 15 pages to see all the more recent pics and it inspired me to have a little shoot today with my lot. Its so hot here and they are all looking a but lack lustre but we have a play anyway!! Heres some of the shots.

Lacy

DSC_0144-2.jpg

Tully

DSC_0204-2.jpg

DSC_0205-2.jpg

Cooper with the big sad eyes :)

DSC_0232-2.jpg

DSC_0234-2.jpg

DSC_0254-2.jpg

playing funny buggers with his ears!

DSC_0280-2.jpg

DSC_0281-2.jpg

It is amazing how many people have beem insired by this thread to go out and buy the nifty 50, My OH got mine for me online it was only $99 and I am amazed at the pics it takes, it does take a little while to get used to the fact you cant zoom and also the focus depending on what setting your using but all i can say is play and have fun!!

OK, I succumbed and bought the 1.8. Would have liked the 1.4 but as I shouldn't have even bought the 1.8 after my Christmas sales splurge on a fridge, I thought I'd better not :)

;)

and are you happy you bought it??

I hope so, if not you're very hard to please.

tlc they're gorgeous....................as usual.

Edited by Kirislin

Ok I looked online at Dirtcheap cameras and they have listed the lenses at 140 and 480? Only place I could find them sooooooo how far away are you all shooting from please and are the above prices about right?

Hubbys going OS so not only going to get him to check out the flash but these aswell although 140 isnt alot for over here and neither is 480

Ok I looked online at Dirtcheap cameras and they have listed the lenses at 140 and 480? Only place I could find them sooooooo how far away are you all shooting from please and are the above prices about right?

Hubbys going OS so not only going to get him to check out the flash but these aswell although 140 isnt alot for over here and neither is 480

Are you a Canon or Nikon person? I dont know about Nikon prices but you should be able to get a Canon 1.8 cheaper than that online and even retail.

DWI: http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=63

here's the 1.4 http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=62

Cameras Direct: https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index.php/....8-ii-lens.html

although you still have to add postage on top.

Beeb got one retail from JB hi fi for $120!

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks Kirislin,

JS, I just cant get a happy shot of CJ inside, he just always looks so sad. But outside is a different matter especailly if we are out and about he always looks like he is smiling!!

Are you a Canon or Nikon person? I dont know about Nikon prices but you should be able to get a Canon 1.8 cheaper than that online and even retail.

DWI: http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=63

here's the 1.4 http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=62

Cameras Direct: https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index.php/....8-ii-lens.html

although you still have to add postage on top.

Beeb got one retail from JB hi fi for $120!

Oops forgot to say canon 40D

Thanks for the links