50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

Bumping this thread because of you guys I had to go out and get myself a 50mm 1.8 Lens this morning - now want to get home and try it out :( . The camera store guy said he had a run on 50mm lens and I said maybe its because everybody keeps saying you can't do without one. I should spend less time on DOL it hurts my pocket too much.

I have been largely influenced to spend money on lenses by seeing photographs here. I definitely bought the 50mm because of DOL.

come on then, show us!! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still at work for a little while longer although just about to jump on the bus and head home as the suspense is killing me. Hmmmm poor dogs think they will be subjected to a photo session when I get home.

Yep, the first shots in the Macro cheat thread I took by holding a 50mm lens in reverse

against one of my cameras. Was a pain having to hold the lens up all the time so

now I am using an OLD manual lens (50mm/1.8) - an adapter I paid $10 for holds

the lens in position. I took the water droplet shots with the new set up.

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh* I stopped to take a photo of a possum on the way to work one day and when i got up, the strap was twisted so it spun my bag around (it wasn't sealed properly) and my 50mm fell out onto the concrete. It now looks like this:

3591154245_ce4521baae.jpg?v=0

Oh well - the photos I got of the possum were worth it (note: they weren't taken with the 50mm)!

3591152959_a17329e3f8.jpg?v=0

3591959514_8e31774b22.jpg?v=0

Had some rellies come to visit today, rellies of the furry 4 legged kind that is. Freezing cold day, so she curled up on my clean washing

3683905514_195b5d8659.jpg

That top one is so adorable....

OK for those in the know... after reading reviews I am still not sure....

50mm 1.4D or 50mm 1.4G for my D80?

OK for those in the know... after reading reviews I am still not sure....

50mm 1.4D or 50mm 1.4G for my D80?

Have you got a Nikon? I am not sure about the letters after the 1.4. I know Canon make at least 3 50mm lenses. A 1.8 which is the cheapest, it's known as the nifty fifty, then the 1.4 which is what I have and then the 1.2L which costs thousands $$ I think there might be a 50mm 1.0 but if there is it's way out of my league.

It is possible the Nikon range has something similar.

What's the prices on the two you've listed.

Have you got a Nikon? I am not sure about the letters after the 1.4. I know Canon make at least 3 50mm lenses. A 1.8 which is the cheapest, it's known as the nifty fifty, then the 1.4 which is what I have and then the 1.2L which costs thousands $$ I think there might be a 50mm 1.0 but if there is it's way out of my league.

It is possible the Nikon range has something similar.

What's the prices on the two you've listed.

There is the 50mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.4D and the new 50mm 1.4G... retailing at around $180, $450 and $800 respectively. The 1.4 is what I'd really like, and I think the G is more aimed at those cameras without the on board motor (D40 etc) as there is an AF-S motor on board, but some places say the optics are better in the G than the D, but is it worth twice the price?

• 1 month later...