Rimadyl Post Desexing?

I had a bitch spayed July 2007 and then again yesterday and things have gone and changed on me!

This time around the surgery site is covered in a fabric bandaid - ok, keeps it cleaner though I'm a little concerned I can't see the wound. And I've been given Rimadyl to give to her the next three days. This drug scares me and am a bit concerned about giving it. But at the same time don't want to not give what I should. I asked the vet nurse was it really nessecary and of course she said it is and that they perscribe it for every surgery. The chewable! tablets came with a brochure and a little promotional box thing - strikes me as advertising.

Does anyone elses vet do this; anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to give them or not?

I've given a bitch Rimadyl for pain relief post surgery with no issues. There are known problems with Rimadyl so you do need to be careful and guided by your vet.

But I'd rather give my bitch some pain relief, after all, a spay is a fairly major invasive procedure and they must be in severe discomfort/pain afterwards. I think vets that dont offer your bitch pain relief are callous.

We don't do it, though Pfizer are constantly visiting us telling us we should - marketing!!

Very rarely do they show signs of pain the following day, in fact most the most common concern from our clients is trying to keep them quiet!

In most cases it probably wouldn't hurt, but whether it's necessary is debatable. Obviously some feel more pain than others, but personally I think that each case should be treated individually, rather than just whacking them all on it.

eta: vets who don't send home with pain relief are callous? It's only a recent thing by Pfizer in particularly to promote a take-home dose of Rimadyl, so that would mean prior to about 12months ago, most vets are callous...

Edited by stormie

Although some dogs have problems with Rimdyl, it can be a very good drug, and it does relieve pain.

I once had to spey a lovely girl (Lab) due to bad elbows, and who is now with a very caring family. When elbow problems set in at about three years, Andrew Buchanan -- an excellent local vet -- put her on Rimdyl twice daily and a severe weight reduction program. She has been on Rimdyl now for three years. She moves normally and appears to be pain free. She's also 9 kg lighter.

Another vet I work with often uses Rimdyl when dogs have minor cuts and bruises and are generally feeling sorry for themselves. I have never seen a bad reaction.

When I take foster through vet work I may give them one that first night - depends how I see them coping.

Our vet usually gives a pain killing injectiion at the time of surgery - so I play it by ear.

Never heard of the "bandaid" though!

annieK

I am callous.

I know they have pain relief to cope with the immediate post op pain..

but I don't believe in giving any more during recovery.

Why?

because if a dog/bitch 'ouches' when they wriggle/walk/bounce... then they won't do it!

If they are a bit sore.. then they are more likely to rest and let the body heal as it should-- being still and quiet.

I am a firm believer in confinement and quiet and physical rest, for at least 5 days.

We were given Rimadyl for our girl post surgery as well - but I only gave her 1 dose! She was up and about immediately showing no sign of discomfort and, as with Persephone, I believe that if they can feel it slightly it may make them rest more. I would have given it if she was in obvious pain.

Trish :thumbsup:

I am callous.

Why?

because if a dog/bitch 'ouches' when they wriggle/walk/bounce... then they won't do it!

If they are a bit sore.. then they are more likely to rest and let the body heal as it should-- being still and quiet.

I am a firm believer in confinement and quiet and physical rest, for at least 5 days.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree, however every dog is different - and you can still give them pain relief while keeping them contained and quiet (eg crated).

To the OP - Rimadyl is far more likely to be a problem if it is given long term.

Short term, it has been a wonderful drug for my boy after each of his cruciate ops. I was very hesitant to be using it at first but it made all the difference to my boys comfort level.

Make sure you give it with food as well to lessen the likeliness of tummy upsets. :thumbsup:

Was it a particularily traumatic desexing?

I have only given Rimadyl once to a bitch after desexing because she had just come off heat so the operation was a bit more traumatic then usual.

All of the other bitches I have had spayed, and the males I have had nutered, I haven't given any extra pain killers to.

They actually get two pretty long lasting pain killing injections whilst at the vets. One either before the start cutting or after they have stitched them up and one just before they bring them out to you to take home.

I am callous.

Why?

Totally agree with what you've written persephone :thumbsup:

Some of our older bitches have been given it but usually one dose to cover the few hrs afterwards.

Its a drug i would never use like lollies especially as some breeds like Labs etc etc are well known for having the worse reactions.

I have this year used it on my boy who was suffering.It was a very mild dose & not long term & did the job that was needed .We use as much natural alternatives as possible he just needed a tad more help.

I am callous.

Why?

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

I dont like it, it caused my Rottweiler stomach cramps and vomiting - common side effect apparently.

They dont need a bandage (mmmm oozing wound bound up for a couple of days is a recipe for infection to me) and we simply gave a long acting Meloxicam injection just before the animal woke up.

Every dog was happy and in little to no discomfort by the next day. Well at least no one rang complaining of requiring more pain killers :rofl:

I think its a big marketing ploy frankly.

I had a bitch spayed July 2007 and then again yesterday and things have gone and changed on me!

This time around the surgery site is covered in a fabric bandaid - ok, keeps it cleaner though I'm a little concerned I can't see the wound. And I've been given Rimadyl to give to her the next three days. This drug scares me and am a bit concerned about giving it. But at the same time don't want to not give what I should. I asked the vet nurse was it really nessecary and of course she said it is and that they perscribe it for every surgery. The chewable! tablets came with a brochure and a little promotional box thing - strikes me as advertising.

Does anyone elses vet do this; anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to give them or not?

Our clinic recently started sending all dog spays/castrates home with three days worth of Rimadyl. Six months ago it was not routine, but these days they all get it regardless. We don't charge for the Rimadyl. It's included because we want dogs to be as comfortable as possible during those initial few days post-surgery.

They actually get two pretty long lasting pain killing injections whilst at the vets. One either before the start cutting or after they have stitched them up and one just before they bring them out to you to take home.

Not sure what injections your vet gives? But we give two at the end of surgery - one anti-inflammatory, and one antibiotic. Both last around 24 hours, hence the three days worth of Rimadyl also.

I think its a big marketing ploy frankly.

We include the Rimadyl at no extra cost to the client (and no, the price of the surgery has not gone up to compensate). The clinic I work for has chosen to absorb the cost of the drug for all routine desexings. The brochure that goes home with the client is to let them know what drug their dog has been given and why. Nothing sinister there.

IMO it really depends on the bitch, have they had several litters, have they ever had a caesarian, how tight/big were the ovaries. Just as in human surgeons, some cause ALOT more trauma with their surgery technique than others.

Another big factor is - are they getting an opioid (temgesic, torbugesic, morphine) - in their premed or on induction, because Rimadyl/Metacam etc all take AT LEAST half an hour to kick in for adequate pain control, so giving it on wake-up means all surgical cases wake up in a fair amount of pain.

Literally thousands of doses are given to dogs around the world and if given according to directions, and used short-term it is generally very safe.

It's all fine to say they shouldn't have pain relief for the ensuing days post surgery but adequate pain relief speeds up healing by phenomenal amounts and it's well documented.

I've recently had abdominal surgery that included excision and cautery and 4 areas of closure with sutures, I had morphine and 1 gram of Panadol and woke up with a pain level of about 6 out of 10, so I can't imagine only having panadol and no morphine, and I have a pretty good pain tolerance.

My vet has recently changed. It has gone from a single operation breeders vet to being one of a franchise that I'm not sure is still a breeder's vet IYKWIM. I've been burnt by franchise places before so perhaps am biased but...

Bitch is young and healthy, not in season, no litters and no reports of problems with the operation. When asked, the vet nurse said that it is their routine to cover the wound and to give the meds for ANY surgery. They have also insisted we return in 3 days time. I will be doing that, as I'm hoping they use something to get the wound cover off which won't hurt her skin. Previously it has always been come back in 10 days to have the stitches removed which I do at home myself.

I'm just surprised I guess. I've had heaps of bitches spayed with my own pets and rescue bitches and this is the first time either of these things has happened.

I haven't given her the Rimadyl tonight as instructed and you honestly could not tell which of my dogs has had surgery this week. It says on her discharge sheet that she was given a Rimadyl injection when the operation was done. If people think I'm cruel then so be it but for me, it is far more of a risk to give her these drugs than not to.

Unless the bandaid on the wound is really big, you should be able to observe around the edges for signs of infection (redness) and possibly oozing through the bandaid (some would be normal).

Hope she recovers quickly. Sorry to hear that that vet has changed. It had a good reputation.