Saving Photos

rugerfly

Im trying to edit a photo (put my name on it) and when I save as, it reduces the size of the file. Why and how do i fix that?

And if Im resaving for a print or publication, what size should it be? its around 1.2 meg at the moment.

Edited by rugerfly

Im trying to edit a photo (put my name on it) and when I save as, it reduces the size of the file. Why and how do i fix that?

And if Im resaving for a print or publication, what size should it be? its around 1.2 meg at the moment.

Bascially, you need a file that is the final print dimensions and at least 240dpi (we could discuss this particular value forever, it's a basll park figure, higher is usually better, lower is usually worse).

So if it's 6in x 4in in the magazine, you'd need an image that is at least 1440x960 pixels.

You should save it at the highest level JPG.

I'd like a nice blow up size photo of something i've done. you were saying that you should have it at the size you want to print. Its 300dpi and 18.5m pixel dimensions the size is currently 2830 w and 2287 h

Im trying to do this on ps elements im trying or do i leave full size and crop at print out...

I'd like a nice blow up size photo of something i've done. you were saying that you should have it at the size you want to print. Its 300dpi and 18.5m pixel dimensions the size is currently 2830 w and 2287 h

Im trying to do this on ps elements im trying or do i leave full size and crop at print out...

Tutorial here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...ternalId=331327

Say you want an image that's 18in x 12in.

You need to resize the image so that it's 18in by 12in and 300dpi.

You will see the pixel counts change - that's 'interpolation'. Photoshop 'makes up' the extra pixels needed based on the adjacent pixels. Note: Photyoshop can only 'make up' so many pixels befor ethe image starts to look degraded.

How big do you want to print (in inches or mm wide) ?

Cool ta, I worked out how to save it too. :eek:

All my photos come off my camera in RAW format - which for Nikon is as a NEF.

It goes through Photoshop or ACDSee first and is saved straight to TIFF format.

These are much bigger files, but are in a lossless format and do not do any compression. Much better than JPEG and means I can blow them up using the whole 10 megapixels of my camera.

At 1.2MB you are not going to get more than a 7x5 photo.