Obedience Dvd's

I was wondering if anyone knows of any DVD's out there for obedience but that go beyond the basics? I'm not sure if such things exist, but I always love watching things about obedience and would also love to be able to watch something being taught instead of reading about it, like scent discrimination for example. I know there are a gazillion agility DVD's out there and I can find them with ease, but trying to find the right DVD on obedience, finding it damn near impossible!!!

Also, what would be the best DVD for games and exercises for teaching a dog some good focus?

Thanks! :laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some other suggestions

Choose To Heel

Shutzhund with Gottfried Dildei (Basic Obedience, Advanced Obedience, A Modern View of Correction)

The Foundations of Competitive Working Dogs

Obedience Without Conflict - Ivan Balabanov

I don't know a lot about training in drive, only really heard about it since joining DOL forums (I'm such a noob at training and the more I read the more I realise it!) So, does anyone know if there are any DVD's that teach how to train in prey drive to assist in obedience tasks such as heeling and general focus? Probably a long shot! Or any good links to read? I'm an eager little beaver really wanting to learn all I can! :rofl:

Ivan Balabanov "Clear Communication" and "The Game"

Gotfried Dildey (8 dvd set)

Leerburg "Training drive and focus"

If you can't find the Gottfried Dildei DVDs it's because there are quite a few different spelling used around the net.

I've got one of the DVDs in fron of me and on the cover it's spelt:

Gottfried Dildei

Leerburg "Training drive and focus"

I just watched a short promo for this DVD, sounds like what I need!

Has anyone used it and can vouch for how effective it is to train some good focus? Again, very cha-ching!! :laugh: But if it's worth it...

(if you can't half tell, I'm really interested in getting the focus side of things up to scratch first and foremost! Doesn't take me long to start tearing my hair out when my girl gets bored of looking up at me when heeling :love: )

Edited by Ruby81

I just watched a short promo for this DVD, sounds like what I need!

Has anyone used it and can vouch for how effective it is to train some good focus? Again, very cha-ching!! But if it's worth it...

(if you can't half tell, I'm really interested in getting the focus side of things up to scratch first and foremost! Doesn't take me long to start tearing my hair out when my girl gets bored of looking up at me when heeling

This dvd is not worth the money. Has very little on focus anyway. It sits in the bottom of my cupboard :wink:

If you can stand watching I.Bs mullet blowing in the breeze,......you will learn heaps.

This dvd is not worth the money. Has very little on focus anyway. It sits in the bottom of my cupboard :wink:

If you can stand watching I.Bs mullet blowing in the breeze,......you will learn heaps.

:rofl::rofl::(:laugh: :p :laugh::rofl:

Thanks, I won't waste my money then ;)

For the Drive and Focus DVD you need to have a good level of prey drive in your dog built up - if you have that - it shows good techniques for getting focus and teaching self control for the toy.

Any DVDs that help enhance the prey drive?

I get little glimpses of how driven my dog can be when I get out a chicken frame, I'd like that level of drive when I pull out the tug toy or the orbee ball!

If your dog has a higher natural food drive, compared to prey drive, you are probably better off sticking with it IMO.

You can still use drive training techniques with the food, but not sure what all of the secrets are for the right technique. I was very impressed watching shoemonsters "Eddie" at FOO last month. They are on K9forces program.

He dam near tore my pocket off when I walked past him to get to a small piece of kabana I had in there. :clap::thumbsup:

If your dog has a higher natural food drive, compared to prey drive, you are probably better off sticking with it IMO.

You can still use drive training techniques with the food, but not sure what all of the secrets are for the right technique. I was very impressed watching shoemonsters "Eddie" at FOO last month. They are on K9forces program.

He dam near tore my pocket off when I walked past him to get to a small piece of kabana I had in there. :clap::thumbsup:

Does drive build naturally as a dog get's older (either food or prey drive)?

Barkly's 9mo and his drive could be better (well, except when he smells a chicken frame).