Desexing

WarKu

Hi i have a staffie x lab, and was thinking about desexing her at christmas time.

shes just over 5 months atm, i was just wondering what does it actually do to them apart from not being able to have pups.

does it change there personilaty, ect?

I watched an Ian Dunbar seminar DVD ages ago and he was asked the question...(not verbatim)...If I desex my dog will it stop him from running out the door to get to the park?

His answer was..."Only if he uses his ba&*s to get there". :eek:

Well I found it funny!!

they wont try and get out to mate

they wont fight other dogs (especially bitches) when in season

they wont bleed all over your house

they wont get the hormonal crankies and either shred everything in sight, or sook up to you something chronic

oh you are SO better off desexing her :cry:

they wont bleed all over your house

Having had quite a few pugs come into rescue when they were on heat I can tell you I am sure as hell glad I desexed my girl when she was young. Having to put doggy undies on and off (when they wanted to go outside and when they came back inside) and change pads for three weeks is bloodyhard work if not a bit yucky.

If your pup is anything like mine, she will bounce back to normal SO quickly!

My 8 month old puppy Tilly got desexed 1 week ago and her personality has not changed.

Its day surgery, so she was dropped off in the morning and we picked her up in the evening. She was pleased to see us when we picked her up at the vet, with her tail still wagging, she even managed to jump in the car. She was just a little bit wobbly on her legs for about an hour or so after we picked her up and she was tired, so she had a good sleep. She was allowed 1/3 to 1/2 of her regular dinner, and perked up as soon as she saw it.

From the next morning onwards she was completely normal. Her stitches have not bothered her at all, she is only a little itchy from where her tummy was shaved.

Stitches come out 10 days after the surgery, so I have not let Tilly play off the leash at the dog park and she is not allowed to get wet. She has been getting walked on the lead instead, so I will continue to do this until her stitches are out later in the week.

Tilly didn't seem the slightest bit bothered by getting desexed. The only challenge has been trying to get her to slow down!

Edited by fainty_girl

Tilly didn't seem the slightest bit bothered by getting desexed. The only challenge has been trying to get her to slow down!

Same. My Lab Martha was spayed a week ago now. She only slowed down on the first evening when she was still sleeping off the general anesthetic.

I researched it a lot, including when to do it, but eventually decided to get in quick and do it before her first season. I couldn't find any evidence that it would change her personality at all. Of course, you won't see the heat behaviour. And it does reduce the risk of certain cancers.

There are many different and very valid opinions about desexing, but for a pet my belief is that it's best to do it before their first season.

Thanx everyone for replying. i just heard that it makes them calm down some. but then shes just a pup.

i dont think shes hypo not with me anywho apart from when i play with her. shes a bit jumpy with the misses tho.

tho of course thats not the reason for desexing her

It'll lower the dogs drive which is a personality change.

Really ? please explain

Thought the dog was a male, but I assume bitches lose drive when desexed as well. Tis' the reason working dogs are entire, after all.

Not entirely sure how I explain it. Remove the dogs balls or girly bits and the dogs drive drops. Do you need a diagram?

Rubbish - my girls are the same huntresses be they entire or speyed.

I have vet nursed at a rural practice - the working dogs that were desexed (usually for med reasons!) stayed good workers.

fifi

Midol it doesnt change the intrinsic personality of the dog

it doesnt lower prey drive as that is something that is encouraged through training and the lines of the dog

A working dog requires more then just prey drive - if thats all the dog is basing its behaviors on you have a sport dog, not a working security dog

working dogs are kept entire because of the hormonal maturity. When you leave a dog entire it will display hormone driven 'punchiness' as I call it (not all will, but you have a better chance) Basically you want the dog to display macho man, testosterone driven attitude. Saying that my entire bitch got better after every season (and being in season too you realise why they called them bitches :thumbsup:) Look at what we want to eliminate from a basic pet dog - hormone driven dominance, exacerbated fear periods, hormone driven posturing and territoriality etc. In a working dog we want this at the natural levels the dog would display, not slightly muted after removing the majority of hormones.

keeping a dog entire will not guarentee a working dog at all, but desexing at 2 will not necessarily destroy a good dog either. My rottweiler is desexed, he was at about 9 months of age. He has heaps of prey drive, a strong will, stubborn streak, will join in guarding if someone comes round to the back fence and yesterday the little bugger pushed himself to go for an 1 1/2 hr hike around the city. Desexing destroyed nothing of his personality at all but he doesnt have masses of testosterone pushing him to fight with my other entire male.

Then we disagree on what encompasses personality.

maybe you need to read up a little more and see some more dogs before just disagreeing for the sake of it

behavior of a dog is not 100% based on its hormone levels. Its genetics, environment and learned behaviors - is it not?

common misconception is desex a dog it will fix its aggression - no it wont. It can help in making the dog more biddable as it is not hormonally charged BUT the dog will still exhibit the old personality traits it had before.

There is a difference between prey drive, civil and defense drive. A desexed dog can still work perfectly well as a security dog IF it has it in its breeding and training to be that way and i have not seen desexing diminish prey drive :thumbsup: hormones sexually mature a dog, they dont completely shape its personality. Plus people want working dogs by 18 months-2 years how are you going to achieve that if you remove the hormones that push it through puberty and the 12/18 month maturity period.

I have never seen any temperament (or personality or character or whatever you wish to call it) changes whatsoever in a bitch following desexing and unlike some my opinion is based on experience. I've desexed many bitches ranging in age from 1 to 9 years and the only things that change are their ability to produce and their coat quality (I have long coated dogs).

Then we disagree on what encompasses personality.

behavior of a dog is not 100% based on its hormone levels. Its genetics, environment and learned behaviors - is it not?

Yes. Personality however, is not simply "behaviour".

I don't really give a toss if a dog can still "work" once desexed. Desexing CHANGES the dogs behaviour. Whether it is by a lot, or a little, changes occur.

Hell, the main reason most desex is to alter SEXUAL DRIVE. That's reducing a drive, and modifying a personality.

Desexing alters personality and behaviour, good luck convincing me otherwise. If it didn't change anything then we wouldn't get it done.

per·son·al·i·ty (pûr'sə-nāl'ĭ-tē) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. per·son·al·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being a person.

2. The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.

3. The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.

4. Distinctive qualities of a person, especially those distinguishing personal characteristics that make one socially appealing: won the election more on personality than on capability. See Synonyms at disposition.

1. A person as the embodiment of distinctive traits of mind and behavior.

2. A person of prominence or notoriety: television personalities.

6. An offensively personal remark. Often used in the plural: Let's not engage in personalities.

7. The distinctive characteristics of a place or situation: furnishings that give a room personality.

Edited by Lord Midol

Midol:

Desexing alters personality and behaviour, good luck convincing me otherwise. If it didn't change anything then we wouldn't get it done.

It changes the dogs ability to reproduce Midol - that's why we get it done.

It also changes sexually motivated behaviour. Gee, what a bummer - no more phantom pregnancies, no more escapes to seek out mates.. just damn shameful.

Its the pervading myth that a dog will somehow be less of a dog desexed that keeps so many unwanted pups being born. It doesn't' alter any behaviour other than sexual ones.

Defence, prey, food etc.. where's the sexual motive for that?