Training Treats

Both my dogs are very food driven so I get great responses from them if I use boiled chicken breast and/or sausage.

Hi huski

We have Labraodrs so it goes without saying that they are also highly food driven . However what I really liked about this liver cake was that it was dry in your pocket. It wasnt greasy/oily nor did it crumble - one could say just perfect.

Once I have had a couple of goes at the recipe posted by 4 paws I will post my results and let you know how successful it was.

Both my dogs are very food driven so I get great responses from them if I use boiled chicken breast and/or sausage.

Hi huski

We have Labraodrs so it goes without saying that they are also highly food driven . However what I really liked about this liver cake was that it was dry in your pocket. It wasnt greasy/oily nor did it crumble - one could say just perfect.

Once I have had a couple of goes at the recipe posted by 4 paws I will post my results and let you know how successful it was.

Looking forward to your reply mercedes.We've moved to a smaller house and my blender and cyclonic wizz are packed somewhere in the garage.Might have to pull everything out and find it as I'd love to try to make it.Maybe it might be easier to just buy a new blender :thumbsup:

Edited by 4 Paws

ok so tonight I made liver cakes. I started to use the recipe that was posted here but decided that I wanted to avoid mammoth amounts of garlic. Escpecially if we have to travel with them to and from a show on the weekend :thumbsup:

I used half a lambs fry, two eggs, 1/2 cup milk and about 1/2 cup s/r flour. I chopped the liver up and put it in the blender wit hthe two eggs. Wizzed them up but they didnt go very fluffy, then put them into a mixing bowl where I added the milk, a beat with a mixer. Then I added the flour and beat it in.

I cooked half the mixture in muffin tin on 180 for 15 mins. They rose beautifully but once they came out and started to cool the dropped a bit.

i cooked the balance of mixture in round tin smae temp for 15 min. Again it dropped as it cooled.

It tastes ok - well that's what the dogs indicated, but it is a little heavier than what I was trying to achieve. The one Natasha had was lighter - heavier than carrot cake but lighter than butter cake - does that make sense?

But it was certainly easy to cut into small pieces, I left the muffins whole - they would fit into a coat pocket at a show.

If someone else tries a recipe for same could they share thier results please.

I use sausages, devon, cheese, liver cooked in either the microwave of in a pot on the stove, goodo's etc., tug toys, squeaky toys. Socks, I could go on and on.

Today I made a batch of Dr Harry's dog biscuits. My dogs loved them. they consist of Parsley, Carrot, Wholemeal Flour, Unprocessed Bran, Mozerrela cheese, Olive oil and water.

I took a lot down to dog training tonight and handed them out to a lot of people asking them to see what their dogs thought of them.

"Dog Loved them" was the response. One person said it was great as you could break them up into small pieces and the biscuits didn't crumble.

They are supposed to last for at least two months stored in an air tight container.

I'm going out tomorrow to buy some doggy type cutters and make some more.

So I need to add Dr Harry's biscuits to my list

post-6277-1229005866_thumb.jpg

I use sausages, devon, cheese, liver cooked in either the microwave of in a pot on the stove, goodo's etc., tug toys, squeaky toys. Socks, I could go on and on.

Today I made a batch of Dr Harry's dog biscuits. My dogs loved them. they consist of Parsley, Carrot, Wholemeal Flour, Unprocessed Bran, Mozerrela cheese, Olive oil and water.

I remember seeing that episode. Can you please refresh my memory on quantities & how they're made.

At my obedience club we use Chunkers. Available from the fidges at Coles & Woolies. They're like little meat balls & easily break into small pieces. And the dogs love em.

Edited by luvsdogs

I remember seeing that episode. Can you please refresh my memory on quantities & how they're made.

At my obedience club we use Chunkers. Available from the fidges at Coles & Woolies. They're like little meat balls & easily break into small pieces. And the dogs love em.

This one?

Ingredients

2-3 cups finely chopped/minced fresh parsley

1/4 cup finely chopped carrot

1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese

2 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably olive)

2 3/4 cups wholemeal flour

2 tbsp unprocessed bran flakes

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 -1 cup water

Making your very own dog biscuits is fun and only requires a little effort. They make great presents for friends with any breed of dog and they are healthy to boot. With all that parsely your dog's breath will smell just great and there's a stack of Vitamin C and iron there as well!

Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or put baking paper on them. In a small bowl mix the parsley, carrots, cheese and oil. In another bowl, stir together the flour, bran and baking powder. Add the parsley mixture and stir well. Gradually add 1/2 cup water. Mix well, adding more water if needed to make the dough moist. Knead for 1 minute on a floured surface.

Step 2 Roll the dough to 1cm thickness. Using a small dog-bone cookie cutter, or even a glass if you don't have cookie cutters, cut as many shapes as you can, re-rolling the scraps. Put them on the baking sheets. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until biscuits have browned. Cool on a rack. The biscuits will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight (and dogproof) container for up to two months

We use devon lunch meat - our belgian loves it. The bredders use cooked liver, lambs fry, chicken etc Having said that our girl is far more toy motivated than food oriented! She has been known to glance at the proffered food reward then wait for toy reward! My OH family has 2 golden retrievers, kibble and dried liver treats are all it takes for them!

I agree with Kelpiechick, sometimes food preferences take a while to develop. My sheltie wasn't interested in food rewards at all as a pup, he was about 12 months old before he started to be interested in training treats, now he is an absolute chowhound as well, but up until about 12 months old he wouldnt touch training treats even if they were things like chicken & cheese that most dog would do backflips over.

We use a mixture of things, almost all soft enough to swallow easily, chopped windsor/devon roll, left over roast, VIP chunkers, cheese, left over sausage, kabana etc. Depends on what we have in the fridge at the time. One comment though, don't buy the purple VIP dog roll for training treats, I used some last weekend at a seminar & it was horrid, fell apart & was so greasy & disgusting - dog still loved it though :banghead: . I like the chunkers (we train at VIP, so Chunkers are high on our available treats list :rolleyes: ) they are very easy to break up if you buy the adult ones I ususally break them into about 4 pieces, if you can get the puppy ones they are just about the right size :) .

Edited by MrsD