Tent Or Gazebo

Ok well after getting drenched at the last show I went to (would have if we didn't have friends there!) I am now looking for a tent/ gazebo to take to shows/ trials to provide me with protection.

What do you use? Tent or Gazebo?

I want something versatile for dog shows/ trials and also to hold C-crate, Trolley and myself in there!! LOL!

Is there a particular reason to use one over the other?

It is usually just me going to shows/ trials, so the thought of lugging a gazebo (when I don't take my trolley) and making 10 trips to the car, makes the whole ordeal frightening! However, it does seem much more user friendly compared to the tent....

tent:

http://www.spinifexcamping.com/Product.asp?p=41

or this gazebo:

http://www.oztrail.com.au/gazebos-and-shad...s/MPG-G24-A.php

Any thoughts?!

The advantage of a tent is its built in floor and walls - but they do tend to take a fair bit to put up and take down and the head height is often not great.

I use a Gazebo.. it has solid walls or mesh I can use and I have the plastic chinese mats for flooring.

Buy a collapsible trolley - makes moving stuff a breeze if you don't have a show trolley with you.

W

We have an oztrail gazebo and find it wonderful, if its raining the sides go up and we have one of those great little mats for the ground, having said that I have no idea where the mat has gotten too :)

Its not too heavy and my OH and I can get it put up really quickly which is great. I love it. If I am on my own I need a little bit of help to get it up.

Edited by Wolfsong

I'm in QLD so it's not often cold so i definitely prefer the gazebos - I try to avoid competing when it's cold, I tend to hibernate instead!

If you are going to get a gazebo definitely go with a quality brand like oztrail. I bought a cheapie (actually not that cheap but cheaper than the oztrails) and after 6 uses it's broken. I can fix it up but it would have been nice for it to last longer.

I've been using one of these:

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product...=311&page=3

which is fantastic for most of the year but gets too warm in hot weather. I have a fly which isn't made for it but pretty much fits it and it is great when raining and even survived that lovely windstorm on the Sunday of the Agility Nationals. I can set it up alone in about 10 mins and can camp in it if needed, and it is tall enough to stand up in. Fly was about $90.

Just invested in an Oztrail Compact for summer trials for shade, will give it a test run at Warringal if it's going to be warm.

My vote is for gazebo. In windy conditions big pegs and guy ropes (I think that's the correct spelling). The Oztrail you posted is very popular here, however for windy conditions I prefer my coolaroo which although a bit more involved in putting up, doesn't bend into the tanlged mess the quick up accordian style ones can.

I'm worried if I get a gazebo that it will fly away though - what do you do to prevent this - esp if you are in the ring when the wind hits?!

I share mine with or sit near a few clubmates so there is generally someone who is with it or close enough. If it is getting windy enough to be a worry then I'd drop it before I was needed in the ring as I'd be worried about it hitting someone or doing damage - I had one of the really expensive ones hit my back windscreen with some force at the Nationals, the person who seen it go said they were amazed it didn't break it.

Correctly pegged and roped they are supposed to be pretty sturdy.

Edited by Jess.

I'm worried if I get a gazebo that it will fly away though - what do you do to prevent this - esp if you are in the ring when the wind hits?!

The Oztrail I have is super sturdy. I always peg in the guy/gy (?) ropes which helps keep it stable. It would have to be a pretty strong wind to ruin my oztrail! (and if winds do come up, I take the top off, or put the sides on to prevent wind getting under the canopy)

For anyone looking at the Oztrail Deluxe gaxebo - check out Bunnings.

I was in our Bunnings today and they had a large load there of a gazebo, 3m x 3m for $169. I had a good look at it and could not see a difference to my oztrail deluxe. Same bag, pegs, frame, connectors for walls on the frame and everything. I had a good look at the connector bits where it folds and they look the same as do the button things that lock it into place. The canopy fabric felt slightly different but that could be to do with being new and mine being a bit worn. (felt stiffer)

We have a Gazebo, but don't tend to use the sides. If it rains we just put it right down to the lowest setting and wait it out. We've had it pegged down on some pretty windy days, but had no problems. (Then again we do live in Qld where it doesn't really get windy or cold.)