Walking Sam

I take Sam for a walk in the morning and OH usually does it after he comes home from work. Lately when I start walking Sam he just keeps sitting or turning around and looking back behind us. He 'knows' that is the direction his human friends ( and sometimes dogs) come from but most of the time there is no one coming along. :thumbsup:

Any tips how I can get him out of this habit apart from the usual "let's go Sam" and "good boy Sam" when he does start walking again. In another thread I read about 'popping the lead'. What does that mean? When Sam was younger I would take treats with me but he would deliberately jump up for them so stopped that.

When we are walking Sam is very interested in everything that is going on around him as well as trying to read the doggy mail left along the footpath. If he sees someone out in their yard he likes to look and see what they are doing and watches any vehicles or people that come along. He turns his walk into an adventure and I 'talk' to him about what is happening around us. However sometimes I get a bit envious of these people whose dogs just trot along beside them. :D

In another thread I read about 'popping the lead'. What does that mean?

That is when you give a couple of little pulls on the lead, letting the lead go slack after every "pop". It's to get your dog's attention not to pull it along.

I can empathise with your frustration, I have a dog who I must maintain very strict heeling with or she is a freight train puller :laugh: . Drives me nuts and I too envy those owners with trotting dogs.

You are going to have to decide how much of this behaviour you wish to tolerate and train accordingly - some people dont care if their dog is more interested in its surrounds, some like me feel that a walk requires the dog to listen to you and walk beside you.

Not to mention that all dogs are different- some just naturally like to walk with their owners- unfortunately not mine or yours :laugh: .