Arthritis And Raw Food

Kyra

Just a quick question and it's probably going to sound crazy but I was wondering if raw food could make a difference to Arthritis pain? When we first adopted our 8-10 year old Shihtzu he had heaps of trouble walking & always seemed in pain with his Arthritis, however we've had him around 8 weeks now and he only eats raw food, mainly pet mince and neck muscle bones etc.

Over the time he's been with us, his legs have got so much better and he can now run, only falling over once or twice, so basically I was wondering if it could be anything to do with what he eats? He isn't on any sort of medicine for it at the moment but we were planning on getting him the fortnightly injections and using the powder, until he started showing huge improvements.

Anyway sorry for the weird question but I'm curious. :love:

Just a quick question and it's probably going to sound crazy but I was wondering if raw food could make a difference to Arthritis pain? When we first adopted our 8-10 year old Shihtzu he had heaps of trouble walking & always seemed in pain with his Arthritis, however we've had him around 8 weeks now and he only eats raw food, mainly pet mince and neck muscle bones etc.

Over the time he's been with us, his legs have got so much better and he can now run, only falling over once or twice, so basically I was wondering if it could be anything to do with what he eats? He isn't on any sort of medicine for it at the moment but we were planning on getting him the fortnightly injections and using the powder, until he started showing huge improvements.

Anyway sorry for the weird question but I'm curious. :love:

Hi Kyra,

Not a weird question at all. A raw diet certainly will help as you have seen. Jessie my previous Bull Terrier was diagnosed with arthritis when she was 3.5 years old. I was thinking of making the change to raw and eventually did. It made a lot of difference. Then I cut out all grains and there was even more improvement :)

Yes , absolutely......

commercial foods contain high amounts of grains, cereals, corn etc.......Dogs arent meant to eat these things, they build up over time & cause problems......

Canine Candida is one of the biggest issues in dogs IMO, yeast infection that can be in the whole of the body (just like humans).....humans can suffer serious arthritis and chronic fatigue syndrome at times from yeast (Candida), and once detoxed they can become compeletely well again.......same goes for dogs.

Well well... canine candida... never occurred to me but thinking about it, it makes sense... thanks Cavandra.

Yes I think raw diets can help enormously - my old boy, now 9, has arthritis in at least one back leg (confirmed during ACL surgery), yet he seems to move really well these days - and he's been on a raw diet for almost two years now - so yes I think raw doets can be a big help.

Cheers,

Westiemum :love:

Yes , absolutely......

commercial foods contain high amounts of grains, cereals, corn etc.......Dogs arent meant to eat these things, they build up over time & cause problems......

Canine Candida is one of the biggest issues in dogs IMO, yeast infection that can be in the whole of the body (just like humans).....humans can suffer serious arthritis and chronic fatigue syndrome at times from yeast (Candida), and once detoxed they can become compeletely well again.......same goes for dogs.

Well thanks for that guys :love:

Unless he seems to go downhill I won't worry too much about the injections as he's pottering along just fine! :) when we first got him it looked like it was a "have to do" kind of thing, he was in so much pain and had trouble standing up.

I'm impressed, never thought raw would make any difference to that side of his health.

Just a quick question and it's probably going to sound crazy but I was wondering if raw food could make a difference to Arthritis pain?

When my dear old Reagan got diagnosed with arthritis at about 6 yeas of age we swapped the dogs over to a raw diet after I did some reading and research. Over about 6 weeks I noticed definite positive changes to his mobility and general attitude. He went back to being bouncy, happy and energetic. He is 13 now and it has only been the last year or 2 that he has required regular pain relief. Until then it was managed with diet, supplements and the occasional pain relief if he had over done it.

it is definaately so much better for the little one. I give Diesel a human glucosamine/chondoiten tablet and a fish oil tablet and he's doing so much better then with anti-inflammatories. I even found pentosan/cartrophen to be rubbish on him.

Keep him nice and skinny too, that will make a huge difference. A little underweight will help him and extend his life, if he's cold put a jumper on him.

Well thanks for that guys :)

Unless he seems to go downhill I won't worry too much about the injections as he's pottering along just fine! :p when we first got him it looked like it was a "have to do" kind of thing, he was in so much pain and had trouble standing up.

I'm impressed, never thought raw would make any difference to that side of his health.

If he was that bad to begin with i would also whack some joint guard or something similar in his food. It can only help not hinder.

I'm actually glad you asked this question Kyra. B was diagnosed with HD at 7 months and we recently got another set of x-rays done at 14 months. The vet said he had no degeneration ( :p ) so far (it will happen) and i did wonder if it may have been helped by his diet. After reading this it appears that way :(