Mega Has An Ear Infection Again

Okay guys, is there anything I can get at the chemist or pet supplies shop to help her until monday when I can get her to my vet or should I take her to another vet today.

she is shaking her head heaps and not her happy self. she has had numerous ear infections since I got her and they clear up well with drops and antibiotics.

I was going to take her friday afternoon when I came home and she was rubbing her ears but my vet was closed friday (reason unknow).

You would try cleaner her ears with an ear cleaner - I haven't found a petshop with anything useful. Start by putting some of the solution on a cotton pad and wipe the area you can easierly get too. Then squirt some in the ear and give it a bit of a massage and allow to shake out. Then wipe again with the cotton pad and solution to clean up again. I use Bayers Ear Cleaner because it doesn't contain Alcohol. Alcohol can hurt if the ear is already sore.

Alternatively you could try finding a vet open on Sundays ... this place is open on Sundays if you wanted to drive to the Southside of Brisbane

Calamvale Vet Clinic

Cnr Beaudesert & Compton Rds

Calamvale

Ph: (07) 3272 6844

Edited by Tilly

Greencross at Chermside is open till 2pm, you could try them - Phone: (07) 3350 1333

OPENING HOURS

Mon - Fri .. 7.30am-8pm

Sat ............ 8am-4pm

Sun ........... 8am-2pm

Or the one at Woolloongabba is open as well - Phone: (07) 3891 5555

OPENING HOURS

Mon - Fri .... 7am-8pm

Sat ............ 7am-6pm

Sun ........... 8am-4pm

thanks guys I found one open at clayfield.

she has been and has a yeast infection in both ears. we have topical drops, that should settle it down. weighed her while we were there and now need to find a diet plan for her. :) she weighed 76.5 kg :cry: so her and Caesar are going on diets :shakehead:

Yeast thrives on sugar..if there is no sugar it cant grow......

Carbohydrates convert to sugars in the body........This is why things like grains, rice, pasta etc cause bad skin & ears.

thanks not sure if you saw my other thread about Mega's weight but am going to cut out her kibble add vege and change meat to lower fat type hope this all helps with her ears and weight.

she has had her drops and is resting quietly in the air con as it is so hot here today.

ok here I go again... recurrant ear infections and weight gain.. I would insist on having thyroid levels tested.

My Casper had constant ear and eye infections and weight gain..... by the time his thyroid levels were tested he had almost none.

It is well worth the effort and not just T4 and it is possible for there to be adequate levels of T4 and the body is unable to use it.

seek out any thyroid articles by Dr Jean Dodds..

cheers

Helen

I had a foster westie/malt cross (for 2.5 yrs until she passed away), her ears were chronic and she had 3 surgeries in the 2.5 years.

However, when I first got her my vet thought if she couldn't have ablation (removal of eardrums) which I wouldn't do to an old dog, she would end up having to be pts because of her ears.

I tried several diets and nothing worked against the yeasty ear infections (she was also on antibiotics) and then I read about the Natural Balance diet from www.pricelesspets.com.au and it may be sold elsewhere but I haven't seen it.

Anyhow, after a few weeks on that, my vet was amazed at how well her ears looked. It is a biscuit but specially formulated for ear/skin problems, she had both and both got better.

The ears needed constant medication for the 2.5 years, due to so many years of neglect previously but she was kept comfortable and I didn't see her rubbing them again once it got better.

It's not expensive and I'd tried Hills and other diets before going to that. She didn't have too many teeth so some things just weren't an option.

ok here I go again... recurrant ear infections and weight gain.. I would insist on having thyroid levels tested.

My Casper had constant ear and eye infections and weight gain..... by the time his thyroid levels were tested he had almost none.

It is well worth the effort and not just T4 and it is possible for there to be adequate levels of T4 and the body is unable to use it.

seek out any thyroid articles by Dr Jean Dodds..

cheers

Helen

Have to agree with Helen on this - Ollie had recurrent ear and eye infections after his chemo and when they finally tested his thyroid levels they were almost non existent.

Also the veges in a raw diet won't be a problem, it is mainly the grains that people add to diets that cause these yeast infections.

Good luck I hope you get it all worked out.