Medication Query

smallfella

hi smallfella here I'm new so hope i'm respecting the rules etc. but my two little fellas shitzuxmaltese are ageing and have just been put on meds, a real shock at the prices. I've searched the net and can't find any cheaper options other than buying thru the vet, someone said that human inflammateries can be used for the pooches and are cheaper and are over the counter is this so, also are there any other avenues for cheaper prescription meds?

hi smallfella here I'm new so hope i'm respecting the rules etc. but my two little fellas shitzuxmaltese are ageing and have just been put on meds, a real shock at the prices. I've searched the net and can't find any cheaper options other than buying thru the vet, someone said that human inflammateries can be used for the pooches and are cheaper and are over the counter is this so, also are there any other avenues for cheaper prescription meds?

What are they being given?

eta: oops missed the name of the meds in the title

Edited by Luke W

I know that Mobic is the human equivalant to Metacam. Not sure that it would work out any cheaper as it is quite expensive if not on PBS which of course we can't get for our animals.

Vetmedin is Pimobendan but I think the same goes that it is expensive.

They are both not over the counter and you would need your vet to write up a script to take to your chemist to make up.

Additionally it would be very difficult to break down a pill meant for a 80kg plus person for a tiny 5kg dog and the result of getting it wrong are very serious

Good point. I know the Mobic tablets are quite small.

Mobic also comes in capsules - you can cut the powder into doses. I used 1/3 of a 7.5mg capsule for a dog needing 2.5mg per day.