Rally Obedience

Is there Rally-O there? I know...do a search, but I don't use that feature correctly while others are amazing at it and can find things in a blink.

I'm curious IF there is rally there, is there access to rules or are any signs different?

I don't think that there are any formal competitions, like they have overseas. I think a couple of clubs in NSW (Bankstown Dog training, I think runs it as "trains"). It is really something that I would like to see get up and running to give people something as an alternative to formal obedience competitions.

Rally-O is an exciting new competition that offers an 'alternative' to more traditional obedience trials. The dog and handler compete in a course laid out by the judge, however unlike traditional competitive obedience, dogs and handlers follow signs placed on the course rather than cues called by the judge. Dogs and handlers move at their own pace through the course following the instructions laid out at each 'station'.

During the progression through the course, handlers are able to talk to their dogs, praise and encourage them, clap their hands, pat their legs or use any means of verbal encouragement. Although the handler is not allowed to physically touch to reward the dog, neither are they allowed to give corrections; loud or harsh cues or intimidating gestures will be severely penalised.

Rally-O is not yet a recognised 'dog sport' in Australia

Taken from here http://www.boroondaradogtraining.com.au/rally.htm

Sounds Like fun :thumbsup:

Edited by 4 Paws

I don't think that there are any formal competitions, like they have overseas. I think a couple of clubs in NSW (Bankstown Dog training, I think runs it as "trains"). It is really something that I would like to see get up and running to give people something as an alternative to formal obedience competitions.

Thanks! I wanted to get involved in rally-o. I will contact Bankstown Dog training when we move to Sydney and hopefully start training ;)

It's an awesome sport to which I will be acquirring my judging license in 2009. I began instructing Rally a number of years ago before CKC brought it in, or even AKC for that matter, seeing the potential of this sport to encourage others to obedience and help work with traditional obedience.

It is a ton of fun for both handler and dog and a good 'run' on a rally course is lovely to watch.

This sounds like lots of fun! I'd love to take part in this, and I know my Ruby would love it too as she works so well when I'm allowed to encourage her with lots of "good girls", you can see she really really enjoys it when I am allowed to talk to her! :(

Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club will be starting this next year. Tasmania is well into it and we will be hoping for ANKC acceptance in the future.

Just need some support to get it up and running. Any help or comments from anyone already doing Rally O would be much appreciated.

Afer all, it only took ten years to get the ANKC to accept Flyball!

Noels.

Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club will be starting this next year. Tasmania is well into it and we will be hoping for ANKC acceptance in the future.

Just need some support to get it up and running. Any help or comments from anyone already doing Rally O would be much appreciated.

Noels.

Dances With Dogs (Heelwork to Music, Freestyle) has now been formally recognised by the ANKC. Helen propsed in that thread:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=151074

that maybe we should get some tips from them in order to get Rally-O going.

Noels.

Sounds Good,can you keep us updated as to when it will start exactly or will it be on there website?.Just had a look but couldn't see anything about it yet

Probably looking at February next year - have to get the signs organised and work out a training programme.

Our club finishes up on 14 December and resumes mid January. That will give me a little time to organise. How does a "mock trial" mid year sound? Anyway, we have only just decided to do this so early days yet, but I am certainly encouraged by the amount of interest.

Let's keep the fun happening.

Noels.

Great to hear that this might be something that others can enjoy in Australia. I am very into it and will be applying for judging shortly once I finish the requirements for judging some sanction matches.

Will be curious to see if ANKC adopts the current signs or they develop new ones.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/

This is probably the best place to start but as they say, mail volume is high so you might want to be on digest or web read.

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/about/board_minute...Regulations.pdf

This is the AKC rules and regulations. (rally is towards the end of the file)

The file is the CKC signs and some basic explanations of the stations. If anyone has any specific questions on a station, just ask.

Rally_Signs___2008____Yellow.doc