What To Do Now?

Raven

I need some advice please.

My relationship has just ended, I'm now on my own with a 5 yr old child and a beautiful Newfie Pup.

With the ending of the relationship, the income has changed (don't worry I can still look after my fur baby)

I wanted to continue with Digi's training but will have to put that off until i'm back on my feet, I still want to give him the

best diet, what's best but economical iykwim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sharon

At moment, I'm feeding the Fluff Ball

Hills Science Large Breed Puppy Food, Chicken carcasses, Chicken wings, Sardines (once a week),

table scraps (vegies).

I have heard about Optimum Large Breed Dry Food but haven't tried him on that (it's cheaper), chicken carcasses i get for a gold coin donation same with bones,

I want the best but on a budget iykwim.

Sharon

These are the ingredients in both foods

HILLS

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

OPTIMUM

Chicken and chicken by-products; cereal protein; corn; wheat; sorghum; rice; tuna meal; beef tallow; minerals (di-calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, copper sulphate, potassium iodide, selenium); sugar beet pulp; vegetable oil; salt; chicken digest; inulin; vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E and choline); sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP); taurine; plant extracts (marigold meal, lucerne extract, tomato powder); preservative; colostrum; antioxidants; beta carotene and glucosamine hydrochloride.

I understand that the first ingredients on the list of ingredients are what there is most of in the food. So there is more chicken than cereal in optimum vs hills.

Hope that help hon and sorry to hear about your split, take care of you too k! :(

You could go total BARF or raw meaty bones.

A couple of us are using Great Barko at the moment, it is around the $30 mark for 22kgs, there is a thread on it. Then there is Bonnie or Coprice. The Coles own brand is apparently the same as Coprice. From the supermarket I prefer Purina to Optimum.

I don't really like Hills anyway and prefer Eagle Pack or Proplan.

We started feeding Lili Eagle Pack but it got too expensive so we tried some of the supermarket brands, we tried Supercoat, Purina One and Optimum and Optimum is the best by far for us. Supercoat and Purina = smelly sloppy poo. But we just buy bags of bones from the butcher for $1 and they make up a bit of her diet too, plus the cheap sardines :laugh:

Thank you everyone,

I didn't see the split coming but my son and I are doing okay.

Raz,

Eggs are really cheap lol we have our own chooks, I had to stop Digi

eating to many, I'm getting a veggie garden on the way so they will be free as well once

established, also using the home brand sardines got a few 3pks the other day for $1.55.

The chicken frames are really meaty as I get them from a butcher, i will ask them about their pet

meat as i know they don't use preservatives.

FTPO I will probably change Digi over to Optimum or Barko (If they have them in Large Breed Puppy Food)

Thank you Poodlefan I would love to hear everything I can.

JulesP I'vebeen reading the Barko thread it has been very informative.

Thank You again I really appreciate the help during this sh*tty time

Sharon

Hey Sharon, neither have large breed puppy food :laugh:

Proplan do if you can sore it in your area http://www.proplan.com/products/GiantBreed_DryPuppy.html or perhaps ask the question of other giant breed owners what supplements they give their dogs if they feed raw and then feed a food like barko + the supplement :laugh:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I think that the main thing to watch with Giant breeds is not to over feed. I don't think the super high protein puppy food is good for them. You are after slower growth. So just check out the protein levels. Don't have a giant breed so could be wrong but I did a quick google to check!