Command Repetition

My 10 month Weim is becoming better with her offlead heeling - I use the command steady and point at my side.

I am not looking for obedience level heeling with focus, I just want it so that I can have her walk beside me when I need her to.

The problem I am having is that she needs me to repeat the command ALOT. Otherwise she will wander away or think that I have released her.

How can I break this repetition of the command so that I only need to say it one or two (?) times when she is heeling.

Not sure- but I do things ON lead until they are solid- then try offlead. If they don't work offlead- then it's back ON lead again.

Commands are given once- the second time the dog is 'helped' into position. There is no third time.

Trouble is, if she obeys on the 10th time, for example- this is what she is trained to do :rofl:

So- onlead again, maybe.

At her age, too- I would NOT expect her to be at an age where she would be 100% reliable- she is still a pup...

I train using a release word. The behaviour does not get rewarded until that release word is given. Using a clicker, I will ask for the behaviour, get given it, wait however long I'm asking for and then click, give the release word and then treat.

I'm only beginning with this, but what I am aiming for is that, no matter what behaviour I have asked for, he should continue it until that release word is given. So for heeling, it would continue until I give that release word, no 'reminders' given, right from the beginning.

Might be worth a try? You can adapt a release word to any method of training :rofl:

are you SURE she completely understands what the behaviour is?

Perhaps she thinks "steady' means check in to that area and poof - now we are right to go again.

To teach these types of behaviour the dog needs to know position, duration and be able to complete it in different areas.

It needs to be worthwhile and REWARDING to stay there, given that you are competing with the equivalent of "disneyland"

I'm a firm believer that you don't need a lead to teach it - if you rely too much on the lead... it usually crumbles when the lead is gone. All puppies that I've trained (even adults) are trained off lead from the get go... the key is making it worthwhile for them to work and stay with you.

JMHO

You need to take a step back and work on building the duration of focus and obedience to the cue. If you're not in a position to hold that focus then don't ask for it.

With duration, you build time or distance seperately, not together. For example with a stay, you start close and build up the length of time. For more distance, you ask for less time and build up again.

With heeling, go right back and ask for the minimum amount of time of totally focussed heeling you can get. Build from there and jackpot any improved duration. A lot of people training heeling look like they're in a funeral parade... change speed, direction etc.

Don't forget that verbal encouragement is useful while building duration.. NOT THE CUE. You can wean off the encouragement in the same manner as decreasing reward frequencies.. start with the minimum amount of heeling you can do silently and build from there.

Oh, the answer to how many time for the cue is ONCE. If she's blowing you off and you're using it repeatedly, you may have poisoned the cue and may need to reteach the exercise with a fresh one.

Edited by poodlefan

I agree with poodlefan - go back and try to get a short period of focused heeling. Even if it is only a few steps to begin with. This is what I've been doing with Diesel - just really short periods of really good heeling then release and reward. I've built it up to about oh, 12-15 steps so far :) but really good steps :rofl:

Thanks for the great tips.. I think I'm just too boring for her. LOL

I usually say Ah-Ah when she moves out of line and this will steady her. I'll work on some of the things you have told me and see how this goes with it. I will try building up the focused heeling hopefully it will be excellent in no time at all!

thanks guys..