Urgent Advise Needed Please

hi guys, need some help as I am not sure if I am freaking out for nothing! My one year old cocker, Jesie went to the vet on Monday and we found out she had gastro. Vet gave her two shots, first was Amoxil second was Tribrissin. He also gave me some antibiotic tablets. Four to five hours after getting home she developed a rash under her arms, rang vet he said it was a reaction to the antibiotics but to keep giving her the tablets.

Today I've come home from work to find the rash is all over her belly. It's smooth but really red.

I'm a freaking for nothing or should I take her back to the vet?

Please help me!!!!!!!!

Is the dog distressed at all?

scratching, panting, hotter to touch, lying on cool surfaces, not eating..... does there seem to be any swelling around her eyes/mouth/neck/ear flaps?

If you think she IS uncomfortable- then the emergency clinic would be able to recommend an anti histamine for her, perhaps...

If not- then put something cool on her belly...and if you have any NON/LOW acid vitamin C..give her a human dose of that . It MUST be the low or NON acid one tho- anything else may upset her tummy even more :rofl:

Vit C can act as a natural antihistamine if it is an allergy

If she is acting fine and her normal self, I wouldn't worry too much - she is obviously haviing 'some' reaction to possibly the antibiotics but no need to panic if she is otherwise fine.

If it were me, I would STOP the antibiotics (often given as a precautionary anyway) and give her an antihistamine.

Keep an eye on her and if her behaviour or habits change in any way, then contact an emergency vet.

Lastly, find another vet as your regular vet. The current one sounds a bit lazy :rofl:

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Sounds like a drug reaction. Skin rashes are a known side effect of Tribrissen, though could just as easily be an allergic reaction to the amoxil too...

also agree - strange choice of drugs. wonder why did not just use flagyl, or even clav or baytril if it was bad gastro.. Tribrissen is quite an 'old fashion' drug to use.

Edited by stormie