Help/advice On What To Feed

Heidii

I have a 15 month old Collie.

Since a baby, i have been feeding him on mainly a raw diet. His main meals are a mix of raw beef, couple of chunks of beef heart, pasta, rice, vegies, tinned fish every now and then and supercoat dry food. I have decided i want to change his diet a bit and start adding tinned dog food in replacement of the beef, pasta, veg etc. I am just wondering what the best dog tinned food would be. I gave him a bit of Pal once and he loved it as well as Optimum. I have read it's best to give your dog what they do well on but how to you know if he does well on one food over another? All i know is he just loves/goes crazy over tinned food rather than the mince meat.

any suggestion?

Thanks

Why do you want to add tinned food? just out of curiosity :hug:

I'm not really muchhelp, we've never really used tinned food, but there are wet foods that aren't necessarily tinned like 4 legs, we've used that and the dogs seem to like it...there's also one called Chunkers, you can get both of these at the supermarket. I would just stay with the raw though if I were you, less preservatives etc

Only reason for changing is cos its such a pain have to freeze raw meat in portions then unfreeze it etc (and then sometimes i forget to take it out the freezer) and my dog doesnt even really like it that much anyway.

Just thought it might be easier for me, but i still want to give him a good diet.

If you feed tinned food chances are you will have a dog that will poo ALOT more volume and more frequently. This means the dog is not getting the nutirents from the food it needs. It will stink to high heaven probably as well.

You can measure if a dog is doing well on food by their output. Smaller, less smelling, nice looking poo's are what you need. Not large, loose smelly blobs.

I have not fed tinned food for over 10 years and will never go back to it.

In an ideal world raw is best but if time is a factor a good quality dry will be better than tinned.

cheers