Clearing A 6 Foot Fence.

Bonnie N Her Aussie2

you can always extend the horizontal parts in further - yes they are based on the cat concept. Another concept is simply mesh at a 45 degree angle sloping in from the vertical but that can be trickier to build then just using huge brackets (which are about $8 from Bunnings)

I'm going to go to Mitre 10 today and see what they can sell me to help me make the fence in your photos. :hug: I've printed them out. :hug:

I'll let you all know how i go.. and hopefully as goes well. :(

Hiya,

Not sure how much help this is going to be to you immediately, but we have been investigating ways to "jump-proof" our 6 ft + high exercise runs at our boarding kennels... so far we have come up with 3 ideas:

1) Completely cover the tops of the runs - we wanted to avoid this if possible and anyways, it's not really practical for a backyard situation at all :(

2) Angle tops on the fences with cyclone wire between

post-14394-1224602151.jpg - this does work really well but tricky & time consuming to do to our existing runs as we have used kopper log poles as our posts so modifying those is going to be a pain - might be OK for your fences though - only potential issue is cost :hug:

3) Whilst surfing the net we found a link to a product available in the States called Coyote Roller, see here - this is such a fantastic idea IMO, my hubby is going to try and fabricate something similar as apparently this system is not available in OZ. Works by making it impossible for the dog to get a pawhold on the top of the fence to give itself leverage to get over - they just slip off the roller. Works on any height fence too!

WIll let you know how we go! :hug: This particular project is a little way off though, need to finish several other things on the go at the moment first.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't provide immediate help but some ideas for you to throw around anyway...

:D

[/quote)

Here is a link to Australia's answer to Coyote Roller.......

http://www.eftel.com/~oscillot/cat%20fencing%20home.htm

Found it on an American poodle list of all places. It says it for cats but I can't see why it woudn't work for dogs too.

Edited by Bronty

I've made some calls today to our hardware stores and I'm going to get our fence heightened and have the design that Nekhbet showed in pictures installed also.

I'll be working out my financial position at the moment to get this sorted out as soon as possible. In the mean time, as in probaly a week..

I think Millie will have to go to our local boarding kennels... ugh.

thanks guys. :dunce:

in order for an electric fence to work the animal has to complete the circuit to feel the zap. If the dog is in mid air and only touches the fence technically she wont feel anything. Also if your lawn is very dry you may have dead spots.

sometimes more trouble then the bloody things are worth hehehe

I've made some calls today to our hardware stores and I'm going to get our fence heightened and have the design that Nekhbet showed in pictures installed also.

Just be aware with that they she may still get through it.

We have a similar type to this attached to our fence and Kovu rips the wire at the bottom off from the fence and then goes up under it. It really depends on how determined your dog is. Kovu is one of those dogs that pretty much nothing but a fully enclosed run (including underneath and on top enclosed) will contain. He will work at the fence continually until he gets through it...I know because I have watched the bastard.

Hopefully you wont have to go as far as we did...the bloody thing cost us $1000 and that's without us fixing the roofing and bottom.

:dunce:

Edited by shekhina

my dogs really adapted well to living in a pen when i was at work

they always had the run of the backyard but early this year we moved into a friend's place whilst our place was being finished built. whilst I was at work the dogs would go into the pen, after a week they just went in there as soon as I told them too in the morning.

Now when I go stay with my friend's they still just go into their pens when required to.