Non Fatty Diet

Kyra

I need some help with something - I recently adopted an 8 year old Shih Tzu with arthritis in his back legs and I was wondering what I should stick to feeding him so he doesn't put on too much weight - he's under weight at the moment so needs to be fed up but not too much.

I obviously want a complete and healthy diet but not anything that will stack weight on him.

underweight or too thin? If he's just underweight as in low fat but healthy muscle tone then I wouldnt put weight on him, whack on a coat when it gets cold.

If he is lacking muscle tone then swimming and a raw diet using lean parts/novel protein sources or something like RC light, Eagle pack light

the easiest and best way to ensure he doesn't become overweight is to feed him a balanced diet in the correct quantities. the main thing which causes overweight is too much food. No matter what it is.

underweight or too thin? If he's just underweight as in low fat but healthy muscle tone then I wouldnt put weight on him, whack on a coat when it gets cold.

You can feel his spine..it pokes out, I'm guessing underweight? :thumbsup:

If I was to buy a bag of RC would I need to buy the senior or adult version?

I fed him a 150g sachet of fresh kangaroo meat with some Super coat Biscuits tonight. He seemed to love it and ate the lot.

feel him all over, if the ribs and hips are poking out as well and he has minimal muscle tone then he needs to gain some weight plus have gentle exercise so it doesnt go straight into fat.

you can get away with the adult for now as it is not as calorie restricted as the senior