Barking

Does anybody have any good ideas for controlling a dog that is driving us crazy barking (and howling when the mood strikes)?

I have tried teaching quiet, rewarding my other dog for being quiet and ignoring the barking machine, purchased a "stop bark", but nothing is working. She is driving us (and the neighbours) crazy. She gets lots of attention, has another to keep her company and is regularly exercised.

She has become much worse in the last few days. She will bark at anything at all - people opening their back door, dropping their keys, you name it. Her breeder reckons we should debark her, but I'm not a fan.

I could cheerfully throttle her at the moment :)

have you tried the innotek stop bark collar? I have the BC-200 model and it still stop even stubborn barkers. It works by starting on a low level (which you can modify) then increasing the level as the dog continues to bark. So if the dog persists the correction increases. The dog soon learns to weigh out if the barking is really worth it or not.

Thanks K9 - an interesting article. Some good points on the de-barking option. She really is in the nuisance category, barking when the neighbour turns his back light on :laugh: although sometimes I think her reaction seems to be more fright/fear related (she is on the anxious side). Today it is raining, which means a quiet day for the neighbourhood :(

although sometimes I think her reaction seems to be more fright/fear related (she is on the anxious side).

In which case I would NOT suggest using an aversive to stop her barking :laugh:

If she is already anxious/fearful- then anything else is yet another stressor for her to handle.

Have you had professional one-to-one advice on her fear/barking issues?

K9: your welcome, as I said its a fine line, it would be best each & every time to have the dog assessed by an expert, but when that option is weighed up against costs, waiting time, complaining neighbours, council orders its a tough call on what is best.

Some times we just post out a collar with the option of returning it & observe the dog, video if possible.

We haven't got to the complaint level yet,and I hope that we don't, I would like to work with her to avoid that happening.

May be the best course is professional assessment first - she is a sensitive soul and can get easily upset eg she constantly "talks" when in the car. She is generally fine if she sits in the front seat, however, if she is tethered in back seat or in the back of the wagon (with my other dog), she will complain constantly (this can go on forever if it's a long trip). Generally on the way home she is exhausted and sleeps - but that state of mind is impossible to get on the forward journey.

I agree that a professional consult would be better.

But just to address a couple of basics :-

• Leadership/heirarchy status (your dog's perception)
  • Inadvertent reinforcement

I'd be looking at each of these in combination with barking deterrent methods.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny, 0n the leadership/hierarchy - there are certainly times when she tests the boundaries - she is quickly reminded of her place in the pack, however she does keep trying! My other dog (another bitch) is very easy going and doesn't seem to fuss too much about the pecking order, but the younger one likes to think she runs the house. They are both pretty much treated equally, although the other dog is always given her food first.