Tummy Woe's 4.5mth Old Staffie

Rockafella

My nearly 5 month old staffie eats his poo's... he leaves the nice firm poo's alone.. but when they are runny... he feels the need to clean it up.. and it's normally in the evening. He also has another issue that if he does eat it that night it comes out again while he's sleeping - making for quite a mess on his rear end and his bedding.

I can normally tell if he's eaten his poo's on his breath (OMG SOOO YUK) and the next day if his bedding and bum are nice and clean or a disaster!! Oh yeah and his wind can clear a room at any time of day!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

I'm currently feeding him Orijin but he has as many firm poos as runny so I'm thinking of changing him to Royal Canin due to the expense - and the fact that it hasn't cleared up his tummy issues. I'm also only giving him rawhide chews to chew on all day as I don't want the extra protein from bones making his tummy more upset/fragile. Is this ok - or should I at least give him a couple of chicken bones a week? He is starting to teeth and nip/chew everything in site.

Sorry for all the questions - but I was hoping that a good clean up of the yard and Orijen would fix his problems but it hasn't. :banghead:

when he poos, pick it up ASAP. As for food, if he is having problems with runny poos, something isnt working

I feed Nutrience, Holistic and Active, my boss had dogs who also had runny poo problems, she put them on Nutrience Derma (skin problems as well) and they havent looked back.

I would not be feeding rawhide, would go back to basics and see what works for my dog.

thats an aweful lot of protein and he's probably not digesting it hence the up and down poo, plus eating it again.

Well digested poo is inedible, small, firm and little smell.

Try the RC medium breed puppy for him he will probably do better. I am still iffy on Orijen I think its not wise for solidly built and large-giant breed pups. Just IMO though

Cheers Nekhbet. And you're right, the well digested poo's aren't the ones he's interested in which is why I'm suss about why he's so up and down (well put!!!) They are fantastic and I'm sooo glad to see them!

In a typical day he does 3-4 good ones :cry: - and at least 2 runnies :banghead:

Cut the dry altogether and switch him over to raw foods like chicken frame, wings, lamb flap ( trimmed ) roo tail ( but make sure he's tolerant and feed smaller amounts ) and other raw meaty bones. Give him half a can of sardines a couple of times a week and a couple of hard boiled eggs with the shells on, a dollop or natural yogurt every few days.

Keep it simple and no fuss

ETA: If you have no luck on an all raw diet ( and that means no treats from packets etc ) then you might need to investigate further for an intolerance, be it beef, chicken or whatever

Edited by PPS

I have to agree with the suggestion of raw feeding.

My staffy had tummy problems too (not eating poo though..yuck!) and switching to raw was the best thing I did for him. When I got my new pup she went straight on to raw as well and she has never had a problem :)

jeezus 2 cups a day of Orijen for a 10kg dog no wonder he's having stomach troubles! My OHs adult staffy ate not even 2 cups of RC a day!

there is nothing wrong with RC it is based on corn and real meat. I'd give it a try while he is at least growing so you know exactly how much is going in and you can monitor it accordingly.

thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I might just give the raw diet a try.

And as for the amount of dry he's getting - it's what's reccommended on the packaging... It's Origin Puppy... 16-26 weeks, 5-10kg - 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 cups per day.. So I'm just doing what's advised.

Once again thanks!!!!

thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I might just give the raw diet a try.

And as for the amount of dry he's getting - it's what's reccommended on the packaging... It's Origin Puppy... 16-26 weeks, 5-10kg - 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 cups per day.. So I'm just doing what's advised.

Once again thanks!!!!

I was feeding 6-7 cups of Orijien a day to a 75kg dog!

Update - he's now on a raw diet.. and no longer eats his poos at all... his rear end has cleared up and he doesnt have wind either.

So I guess the Orijen is great... but not for all dogs... it truly is what's best for YOUR dog is the best!!!!

Update - he's now on a raw diet.. and no longer eats his poos at all... his rear end has cleared up and he doesnt have wind either.

So I guess the Orijen is great... but not for all dogs... it truly is what's best for YOUR dog is the best!!!!

Excellent :)

I bet he feels a million dollars too :)

he's going really, really well.

He loves everything we feed him and he's looking really healthy and happy!

You're advice was spot on and now I'm only ever picking up small hard white poos with NO smell at all.. even the fresh ones don't have a smell which is fantastic!

Thanks so much for the great advice!!