Gsd Royal Canin.. Anyone Use It?

charli73

4 Paws has a sale on RC today (in Melbourne)

Thanks, Ive been looking at their web page for the last couple of days and its "under construction".. Will have another looky look!

Doh! too late..

Edited by charli73

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, Zoe is now on Royal Canin German Shepherd and she is doing great..

She no longer has the incessant itching or dandruff and her coat feels smooth and looks great...

Very happy with this food....

Edited by charli73

Guest june.andnovas

I started on RC GSD adult for Ivy and she loved it! But stupid me thought I would give GSD junor a go and didn't think to look at the shop but it was 40% protien, is this too high? This is a mix of animal and vegetable protiens.

If I give her a bowl mixed with both she goes to the adult first. Should I put her back in GDS adult or keep with the junor? She doesn't get RC everyday , prolly every second day. Trying to keep up the raw too.

I bought a huge bag of the GDS junor too!!

I would put Ivy on the large breed RC not the GSD. She's not a GSD she's a Belgian and there are differences in the breeds.

Keep the diet even. Dont bounce it around otherwise there is no way you are providing steady nutrition especially if she is allowed to chose what she eats. She should be getting 2 meals a day any way so what I did was dry in the AM and fresh in the afternoon.

Guest june.andnovas

I choose the GDS as it has the least amount of wheat and fillers in it. Will check out the large breed. I was only mixing the dry so she could slowly change over to the other type I bought and not switch her over in one big hit.

She does get two meals a day ... morning and early evening.

Edited by june.andnovas

RC doesnt put wheat in its food. There is a RC Maxi in the blue bag (oddly enough with a GSD on the front :o)

This is the Junior 32 for large breed pups up to 15 months old

Ingredients: Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, L.I.P* vegetable protein

isolate, maize gluten, animal fats, L.I.P* animal proteins, maize flour,

hydrolysed animal proteins, minerals, beet pulp, soya oil, fish oil, fructo-oligosaccharides,

psyllium husks and seeds, egg powder, L-lysine, hydrolysed

yeast extract (rich in mannan-oligo-saccharides), DL-methionine, taurine,

hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), hydrolysed cartilage (source

of chondroitin), marigold extract (rich in lutein).

ETA The GSD formula is made for dogs with a 7pH level. The reps told me its not a good idea to raise other breeds on this diet as it may be detrimental to their skin.

GSD junior is only 30% protein, GSD adult is 24%. That is not too much for a dog of that breed.

Edited by Nekhbet

Guest june.andnovas
RC doesnt put wheat in its food. There is a RC Maxi in the blue bag (oddly enough with a GSD on the front :()

This is the Junior 32 for large breed pups up to 15 months old

Ingredients: Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, L.I.P* vegetable protein

isolate, maize gluten, animal fats, L.I.P* animal proteins, maize flour,

hydrolysed animal proteins, minerals, beet pulp, soya oil, fish oil, fructo-oligosaccharides,

psyllium husks and seeds, egg powder, L-lysine, hydrolysed

yeast extract (rich in mannan-oligo-saccharides), DL-methionine, taurine,

hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), hydrolysed cartilage (source

of chondroitin), marigold extract (rich in lutein).

ETA The GSD formula is made for dogs with a 7pH level. The reps told me its not a good idea to raise other breeds on this diet as it may be detrimental to their skin.

GSD junior is only 30% protein, GSD adult is 24%. That is not too much for a dog of that breed.

Must have read maize as wheat. Similar? I'm pretty sure that the GDS junior I have has 40% protien. Annoyed I spent money on food I don't need!!

Does your Belgian get RC? What is his main diet if you don't mind me asking :o

Maize is corn and no they are totally different.

My Belgian was on Eagle Pack when she was a puppy, but she has been on RC Maxi for a couple of years now. I love the stuff I have all my dogs on it (well not at the mo because I'm a bit pov) but that is her breakfast then a chicken carcass for dinner.

I prefer that diet but she is on chicken carcasses, meat offcuts, rice and veges. She looks good but the muscle tone is better on the RC.

Take a look at the RC website. RC has a money back guarentee take the bag back you will get a refund.

Guest june.andnovas

"This product would be suitable for a Belgian Shep as they suffer a lot of the same problems as German sheps do"

Wrote RC an email about returning the food and they replied including the above quote. Interesting! Kinda why I bought to GDS in the first place, they're similar dogs just differently built.

Same as the lab food is fine for GR's etc GSD food is fine for BSD's as well - same as the Boxer food is often suggested for many other breeds. The foods are breed specific - but you can still use the stuff for other breeds depending on those breeds and their needs.

Depending on the age of the dog i'd not be too worried about the amount of protien - you might just have to lessen the amount you feed is all. The protien is all very high quality and still balanced which is more the issue then the amount.