What Distance Is Your Dog Swimming?

We don't have a pool at all near us within basically 2hrs drive,so ours use a port.Roughly what distance do you swim your large breeds.Not in terms of laps but actual distance? Just curious to work out if I'm going enough.

Thanks. :cheer:

Edited to ad,

Distance wise 450-500 metres for one of ours twice weekly.

Edited by Delkerabo

We have GSD's.

After working them up to it, eventually ours will do 500 meters each. I do it in two sessions, with a short (3-4 min) break in between. We do this 2-3 times per week.

These are adult dogs. I would not recommend any where near that distance for youngsters.

I start regular swimming at about 10months of age, but for much shorter distance.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Wow that would be great for you dogs.

My Rottwieller x Staffy used to swim a great deal but its hard to say exactly how much. He would retrieve a ball from the river, and id throw it in not more than 30-40m at a time a I guess. That worked well because everytime he brought it back I could make a judgement on whether or not I thought he looked like he was ready for more. The problem with him was due to his tenacity I knew he would never stop regardless of fatigue, stress, ect, so I had to make that judgement for him.

Edited by calsonic350z

My viz and spin swim around an hour a day, pretty much non stop except when on the pool step to bring back a ball. I don't know how long the pool is, but they would swim back and forth (photo) the length of the pool for the whole hour or so, a LONG way, around 60 or more lengths, actually more, it's around a minute up and back, but have to allow for step stops, about 3 or 4 seconds each time. I'll work it out later as now I'm curious :):mad The viz stops when she's had enough and I can tell when the spin is tired, we don't overdo it.

Often the spin will do another hour on her own, she's a swimaholic :o

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

OK, pool is 10 metres, I timed the spin today, it takes average of 1 minute to do 2 and half laps inc. step breaks of about 2 seconds while I throw the ball. I used 8 metres as a guide although she often swims around on the way back. So, average 40 metres a minute for 30 minutes = 1200 metres which I downgraded to 1000 for times when the ball did not go as far. The next 30 mins she only did about a lap and half a minute. I did not take notes on that half hour. I did not worry about the viz, my brain hurt :mad The spin has been doing an hour or more swimming every day for around 12 months. less before that. She's very fit and a very very strong swimmer, much more than the viz. She also had enormous paws and webbed feet, so made for swimming. :o It's great as it keeps her weight right down and she's such a pig! :)

Wow that would be great for you dogs.

My Rottwieller x Staffy used to swim a great deal but its hard to say exactly how much. He would retrieve a ball from the river, and id throw it in not more than 30-40m at a time a I guess. That worked well because everytime he brought it back I could make a judgement on whether or not I thought he looked like he was ready for more. The problem with him was due to his tenacity I knew he would never stop regardless of fatigue, stress, ect, so I had to make that judgement for him.

I have that problem with Cody. He would swim all day if I let him. Last week I took him swimming and threw a stick, he couldn't find the stick but kept searching because he knew it was there somewhere. Ten minutes later I had to go find a new stick and throw it so he'd chase it and come out of the water because he was going around and around and crying while he was still trying to find this damn stick.

So to answer the OP's question, I don't know the distance. It varies anyway, by the end of summer he'll be a super swimmer again.

Our pool is about 10m and I swim my Newfs for about 45min at a time. This is fast swimming, fetching a ball, out of the pool, dive in and fetch again. I stop after 45 mins but they would keep going if I let them :)

Hey Delk, no idea on how far mine swim, but Piper was doing around 50 + laps at the old pool in Rowville and no set laps at the new one in Narre Warren. Before Maddy left she was swimming for a good 30 minutes and Piper was about an hour with rests and pee breaks. Both swim without being led around and Maddy was swimming her own laps and she was getting out when she needed a rest. Once Piper has finished with her maternity leave she will be going back to the pool and work her way up to 60 - 80 + laps as this pool is not a big as the old one that closed down. I usually swim them 2 - 3 times a week.