Calling All Ud Trainers/competitors

Seita

How do you guys teach the send away to the box. I have no probs with the directed jumping but I'm trying to decide how to train the send away and thought I'd see what different methods you guys all use. I'm particularly interested in methods that don't use food and use toys instead as that's generally how I train but I'm open to all ideas.

why not shape your dog to do the box... if there is enough value in the box then the distance part becomes easy... as long as you do not go for distance before there is lots of value in the box....

Toys could be used.. but initially i would use food... when there is value in the box you could play a tug in position game where your dog has to stay in position whilst tugging(even in a drop)dog musn't move untill released... you could play the send to the box...release then tug game...

hope this gives you something to work on.. others may do it differently

Hello, I've recently achieved my UD title with my dog (who happens to be very toy motivated as well!). I used the following steps to teach him the send away:

1. Put him in a stand-stay about 1m away from the box. Put toy in middle of box with him watching, then returned back to him. Told him 'box' while pointing to the area and praised him enthusiastically when he got the toy. I would repeat this at least 20 times (not in one sitting, at various training sessions in various locations).

2. Gradually I would vary the distance, all the time doing the same step as above. Never more than about 5m though - just enough to teach him that his toy is always found in the middle of those funny white poles :-)

3. The next step was to do the above, but call out 'sit' just BEFORE he grabs the toy. This I would do from a short distance again where you are in a position to reinforce your command. Again, repeat 15-20 times. Ideally he should start to anticipate the sit command before he's allowed to play with his toy.

4. Once this is perfected, start about 1m from box again. Have ball ready in pocket but do NOT place in box this time. Give command. Ideally he should run to the box like usual. Call out 'sit'. Once he does so, release and big praise! This is where the ball comes out now. At this stage, he begins to learn that going into the box is a means to an end. Repeat over and over again (again, in different training sessions. Always end on a win and no longer than 5-8 minutes otherwise he'll get too bored).

5. Once he understands this well, you can gradually stop calling out 'sit'. Wait until he does so, then produce the reward. It should become automatic.

6. Start to increase the distance, and send him out from various directions in the one training session. Make sure to practise this in as many locations as possible! I cannot emphasise this enough.

7. Avoid joining with the directed jumping until he has solidly and thoroughly understood the box concept. Otherwise he will become very confused. They are essentially two different exercises.

I hope this works for you! In my experience, I would definately recommend that you progress through the stages as methodically and slowly as possible. If you are tempted to rush to the next stage because he has done the previous stage right a few times, then there is a danger that he doesn't fully understand the concept. Then everything tends to fall apart in high pressure situations like the trial ring. Built a house with solid foundations and it will weather every storm :-) Best of luck!!

why not shape your dog to do the box... if there is enough value in the box then the distance part becomes easy... as long as you do not go for distance before there is lots of value in the box....

Toys could be used.. but initially i would use food... when there is value in the box you could play a tug in position game where your dog has to stay in position whilst tugging(even in a drop)dog musn't move untill released... you could play the send to the box...release then tug game...

hope this gives you something to work on.. others may do it differently

I primarily use something like this to build up motivation and drive to get into the box... I also throw a toy behind the dog to get that real drive out and also have the reward off from me :thumbsup:

Food was good in the initial phases, but I much rather use toys later down the track :thumbsup:

If you are into agility - SG's one jump game has some great ideas for the 'pause table' which I then incorporated to the box :thumbsup:

How do you guys teach the send away to the box. I have no probs with the directed jumping but I'm trying to decide how to train the send away and thought I'd see what different methods you guys all use. I'm particularly interested in methods that don't use food and use toys instead as that's generally how I train but I'm open to all ideas.

Retriever trainers train their dogs to retrieve hidden articles, so going to a short distance box is comparatively simple. Start with a place board with a box surround. We certainly do not use food in the place box, as we do not wish our dogs to eat the reward/retrieve.

But then again, if a hot dog was placed in situ/box, the REAL fun would begin.

Retriever trainers train their dogs to retrieve hidden articles, so going to a short distance box is comparatively simple. Start with a place board with a box surround. We certainly do not use food in the place box, as we do not wish our dogs to eat the reward/retrieve.

Hi LL, how do you get the dog to go to the place board? I was contemplating a similar method.

Hi LL, how do you get the dog to go to the place board? I was contemplating a similar method.

We start SHORT!!!!! The (WHITE!!) board is higher (obvious to the dog) to achieve focus, remember bumpers/dummies are in place. I certainly observe attitude and use a turn on cue.

I may start with food rewards/feeding meals, if a youngster is crazy to retrieve, to settle the dog. Too much drive may not be best. We possibly balance attitude with seen retrieves to maintain good momentum. Game playing also, is very important as our attitude. Setting up training for the baby puppy to win/for success, even going as far as a hallway. Whatever works. Dogs do not "lie" a poor figure of speech, but really look at our dog and what they do naturally.

On flat featureless areas with little or no distractions.

Gawd, I hope I make sense, we move on to long distances (starting with HOT/known areas up to 100 yards with factors,wind,water, obstancles, diversions) so quickly, basics can sometimes be forgotten. Eventually moving to further distances, across rivers, going straight along shorelines blah blah blah.

Am I making sense???????????? Gawd I am hopeless with drill/exercise explanations. Also our 15 year old labrador may need to be let go tomorrow, so I am more than a little stressed.

I can find you some retriever links, if you like?

even going as far as a hallway/and then generalise in other areas.

Added. Generalise/proof in other areas.

See hopeless. LOL. YET ANOTHER THOUGHT!!!!! Trying to remember obedience requirements- forgive me, do not mix/have them close at first, directed jumping etc with the box/send outs. Including seek back requirements.

Edited by Lablover

We start SHORT!!!!! The (WHITE!!) board is higher (obvious to the dog) to achieve focus, remember bumpers/dummies are in place. I certainly observe attitude and use a turn on cue.

I may start with food rewards/feeding meals, if a youngster is crazy to retrieve, to settle the dog. Too much drive may not be best. We possibly balance attitude with seen retrieves to maintain good momentum. Game playing also, is very important as our attitude. Setting up training for the baby puppy to win/for success, even going as far as a hallway. Whatever works. Dogs do not "lie" a poor figure of speech, but really look at our dog and what they do naturally.

On flat featureless areas with little or no distractions.

Gawd, I hope I make sense, we move on to long distances (starting with HOT/known areas up to 100 yards with factors,wind,water, obstancles, diversions) so quickly, basics can sometimes be forgotten. Eventually moving to further distances, across rivers, going straight along shorelines blah blah blah.

Am I making sense???????????? Gawd I am hopeless with drill/exercise explanations. Also our 15 year old labrador may need to be let go tomorrow, so I am more than a little stressed.

I can find you some retriever links, if you like?

I think you make sense... your placing the retrieve item on the board so dog can easily see it, then increase distance and distraction until the dog no longer needs the target of the board and just goes by your direction? Am I on the right track?

You're saying I can use the same principle to send a dog to the box, by first teaching the dog to go to a marker/board from close. Then increase distance, and ultimately remove the marker but leave the box???

Sorry to hear about your old dog, my old boy just passed away a few weeks ago too.