How Do You Punish Your Pup

Kyra

I would never have survived Zig's puppy-hood and teen years without a crate.....and he probably wouldn't have either :o

Zig's never been left unattended with washing on the line, in the house alone or even in the backyard alone. If I couldn't watch him (and I never trusted him with visitors because they were vague and he was very inventive!!!) he was in his crate - even if it was for 5 minutes. It probably sounds a little extreme but it's turned a potentially destructive, intense, hyper puppy into a young dog who happily rests inside and then switches into overdrive when he free runs at the beach or does some training. I actually can't believe what a pleasure he is to live with now :rofl:

Good luck - it does get easier if you persist!

Yes, just a baby!! I agree with keeping the pup safe and secure, a crate is handy. Mine still sleep in their crates and when I am not home, they are in 'their' room which is empty except for their crates, door closed, can't get out. The human has to be responsible and just keep everything out of the dog's way, or the dog out of the way when unsupervised. I'm a big believer of Out of sight = IN trouble. I've never smacked a dog, but have let out a loud NO!!! which tends to distract them quickly, then you just put their attention elsewhere. (In theory :rofl: ).Spotted devil, I thoroughly agree, I spent over 2 years doing the same, with 2 pups 12 months apart (yes, CRAZY), and still cannot trust the younger one, Basically it's up to us. :o

I remember my parents shoving the noses of dogs into holes, wee poo etc and belting them with rolled up newspapers. Makes me cringe now and scared the hell out of me as a kid. They thought that was how you trained a dog. No-one ever told them different and they never looked for better answers. It was what their parents did I suppose.

Sadly there are still many, many dog owners out there that still do the same thing.

Makes you wanna take the paper and wack them over the head with it, then push their nose in the dirt..

Just like little humans they respond really well to praise - praise good behaviour, ignore bad behaviour and remove whatever they are not supposed to have.

I remember my parents shoving the noses of dogs into holes, wee poo etc and belting them with rolled up newspapers. Makes me cringe now and scared the hell out of me as a kid. They thought that was how you trained a dog. No-one ever told them different and they never looked for better answers. It was what their parents did I suppose.

Sadly there are still many, many dog owners out there that still do the same thing.

Makes you wanna take the paper and wack them over the head with it, then push their nose in the dirt..

Just like little humans they respond really well to praise - praise good behaviour, ignore bad behaviour and remove whatever they are not supposed to have.

Yes I would like to do the same to those owners!

I'm one to train using positive methods. I have at times had to go and stand in the bathroom and count to 1000000000000 then come out and clean up the mess.

kristin e102

you should not allow your pup to get to 'repeating the behavior' then smacking him. Thats bad management on your behalf. If he jump jump jump jump jump then SMACK what have you taught him? You can have a few jumps then I'll hit you.

You can see when a puppy is going to launch. Either move out of the way or when he jumps up grab him by the scruff and loudly "GRRRR NO", then walk away. Dogs do not learn or associate how we do - you have not taught your puppy NO means stop the behavior so you should smack yourself instead of the dog. Also never give a dog a known command more then once before following up the action - you teach the dog the command is to be ignored until you give it enough times or he listens when he wants.

Another trick with pups that run at you is have some food and throw a rather large treat at their face when they run at you, attach a command 'FIND IT COME ON!!!!". Most will stop in their tracks and snuffle around for it then forget their initial run up. Then teach the pup if it wants physical attention it should sit. Great way for food driven breeds to learn not to bowl you over.

ETA Smacking does one of two things - teaches hand shyness and dogs tend to just run off if they think they're getting a smack for no reason (well no reason the dog sees) or they learn to fight violence with violence. Yes the smacked dog who one day has enough balls to turn around and give YOU a physical correction because you taught it punish with pain. Don't laugh it does happen. I've found verbal (when taught from an early age) is enough with my lot. You dont smack Belgians they crumble and the mastiff breeds tend to go 'you know what ... I'm 60kg of entire male - who the %&*( do you think you are hitting me'. So no. I dont like smacking PUPPIES

Edited by Nekhbet

Yes I agree I HATE smacking dogs, especially when they are so young. HOWEVER, I have tried everything! He knows the word NO to an extent and if he is in a relatively good mood than he will obey me but all the other times (and believe me, with labs if he wants to do something he WILL do it) he doesnt listen to a thing I say. The biting and nipping is the worst of his behaviour because as far as a Lab pup goes he's good (compared to some stories I have heard). I have tried crossing my arms and ignoring him, yelping like a pup would, replacing my hand, body or clothes with something he is allowed to chew like one of his many toys, giving him ice cubes to distract him and every other thing that is mentioned on this forum - nothing works! The only thing I have had success with, which I hate using so will only use it when in extreme situations is smacking. If I put him outside, its not really time out because thats where he is all day so he likes it. I smack then put him outside so he knows I dont wanna play anymore. Or sometimes I just smack and ignore him and he gets the message.

He has been to puppy school and I have continued to practice the commands with him but until we start obediance in two weeks I think Im just going to have to put up with him. He is a pup and I knew all this was going to happen so Im not complaining at all. I was simply sharing what works with my pup when he is naughty.

Cheers,

Kristin

Oh and I forgot to ask - I have a crate but have only ever used it at nighttime for him to sleep in, should I start using it while Im at home hanging around the house? I feel mean locking him in there though when Im home because I feel that he should be running around... but perhaps this is better than the smacking because I agree with everyone - it sucks and I hate it!

Sorry for stealing the thread Kyra!

Cheers,

Kristin

The crate is a good idea, even if you are at home, just for short periods, maybe for a nap etc. Please do not ever use the crate as as 'punishment', eg. when he's 'naughty' tell him off and put him in there. It is a pleasant place for him, his very own little spot. Mine really do love their crates and go there every night at 9.30pm whether I'm ready to go to bed or not! :mad Really, if you are home, try just having him with you all the time so you can watch him, if you are showering or something, put him in his crate with a treat and he will get used to going in there. Perseverance really does pay off eventually, although it can seem like forever :rolleyes: :confused: Please do not ever smack, he may end up not trusting you at all, and that's no good for either of you.

Up until very recently I'd never punished Martha at all. But if I catch her in the act of doing something I don't want her to do (like weeing inside, before she was house trained), I clap really loudly. This startles her so she stops what she's doing, then I can redirect and praise.

Like others, I keep her in a puppy-proofed room (the bathroom) when I go out, or even if I need to do something without her around for a while. I put her kong and all her other toys in there. (A great distracting tip — empty toilet rolls filled with just a few bits of kibble. She has great fun ripping them apart.)

However, just recently, I've felt the need to step up the anti-nipping campaign. While she's not as bad as she used to be, she still nips. She never responded to the yelping technique (it just revved her up) so our technique is to turn our backs and/or walk out of the room. This does work, but not well enough. She also goes crazy when we're on the phone — all bite inhibition seems to go out the window and she just manically, and with her teeth, tries to get our attention. (I can put her in her room before I make a call, but not if someone rings.)

So I bit the bullet and filled a spray bottle with water. I have it on mist, and it certainly doesn't hurt her, but she doesn't like it. I have used it a total of thrice — now I just have to pick it up and she stops biting!

I hate doing it though, because she does shy away from it. So if others have thoughts I'd be grateful to hear them.

Kirsten dont think I have no working experience - I have 2 security dogs, one being a Belgian - they dont call them Maligators for nothing when they are babies.

You give a command and do not immediately follow through - you are inconsistent so your dogs behavior is inconsistent. You give him chance after chance to disobey then you smack him - that is not helping your dog or teaching him long term. If you are having to resort to hitting your puppy then call in a trainer or his breeder to help you NOW not wait till he goes to training.

If he bites you grab his scruff and growl NO.

If he has your hand put your thumb under his tongue and apply some pressure till he gets the idea that mouthing is bad

As for a mouthy breed like I said I own and have trained a lot pushier, mouthier and stubborn then a lab and still not had to resort to smacking. I have posted in the other 2/3 'puppy biting' threads go have a look

If he has your hand put your thumb under his tongue and apply some pressure till he gets the idea that mouthing is bad

I tried this too, but Martha just thinks it's a game. I've done it as hard as I can and she seems to quite enjoy it!

Another trick with pups that run at you is have some food and throw a rather large treat at their face when they run at you, attach a command 'FIND IT COME ON!!!!". Most will stop in their tracks and snuffle around for it then forget their initial run up. Then teach the pup if it wants physical attention it should sit. Great way for food driven breeds to learn not to bowl you over.

This is a great idea. Will try it out.

Edited by botheration

Kirsten dont think I have no working experience - I have 2 security dogs, one being a Belgian - they dont call them Maligators for nothing when they are babies.

You give a command and do not immediately follow through - you are inconsistent so your dogs behavior is inconsistent. You give him chance after chance to disobey then you smack him - that is not helping your dog or teaching him long term. If you are having to resort to hitting your puppy then call in a trainer or his breeder to help you NOW not wait till he goes to training.

If he bites you grab his scruff and growl NO.

As for a mouthy breed like I said I own and have trained a lot pushier, mouthier and stubborn then a lab and still not had to resort to smacking. I have posted in the other 2/3 'puppy biting' threads go have a look

That is great advice. I would like to add another option to the mouthing since I definately own a mouthing breed *LOL* (I have also done the tuumb under the tongue, works for me) but you can also redirect the mouthing to a toy, but you must be CONSISTENT that is the key to training a dog to do anything, without consistency the training is pointless.

There is no 2nd 'chance' after a dog disobeys you. You give a command once... FIDO COME, he doesn't come, go get him - dont give him the option of disobeying you. FIDO SIT, he doesn't sit, place him in the sit position 'gently' like a sea-saw rocking motion (right hand at chest level, left hand at tail area) but GENTLE. He will soon understand that when you issue a command he will obey, but you have to TEACH him, they are not born knowing how to sit, how to drop, etc, we have to educate them and make it fun. You start hitting the puppy for not sitting and sitting will not be fun it will be associated with hitting.

That's just my opinion and how I've trained my rotty's over the past 15 years. I am not a dog trainer, nor do I claim to be one, I actually have a dog trainer and think that its the best investment $$$$$ can buy when owning a dog.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to stop the smacking as it really doesnt do him or I any favours. I have also told my partner to stop it too. Will start putting him outside I think when he is being naughty (if I can catch him, as he tends to run and think Im playing then he will forget that he is being punished!).

Cheers,

Kristin