Walking On A Lead

ClareL

Hi,

I have 2 dogs, one is terrible at walking on a lead he always pulls and if he sees another dog goes nuts trying to get at it. He is quite good when introduced to other dogs but terrible if not allowed to run over have a couple of barks and calm down he is the same with people (luckily he is only little we think maltese X jack russell so people aren't scared of him) Anyway we were wondering if there was any ideas from people on how to train him for this, he is 18 months and not had any training so he is a bit slow but has started to learn things like sit etc so i think he is trainable.

I know exactly how to train him, but am hopeless at explaining it online. send this website http://www.k9force.net/ and email saying exactly what you have written here. Steve will solve your problem :thumbsup:

Yes I highly recommend Steve's Loosh Leash Walking program. Started it on Friday with my 10 month old German Shepherd and the results were instant and amazing. Today we walked past 2 other dogs with no pulling and this is only day 4 of the program! Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help guys, im not in nsw i am in melbourne so i feel a bit bad calling a business to ask for advice when i can't use them at all. I have looked at a few other posts and am just going to try stopping when he pulls and making him walk back before i let him go forward again with a loose leash.

Thanks for the help

Hi Clare,

I know the feeling. I'm trying to train my puppy to walk on a loose leash at the mo, and she's certainly a enthusiastic puller. She's getting strong too, even though she's only four-months old. (But she's a muscly little Lab.)

The theory which I'm using is that pulling on the lead means we STOP. This should happen consistently — she only goes forward when she's got a loose leash. She has improved, but it's slow going. (Mostly because, embarrassingly enough, my consistency isn't what it should be — I walk her five ks, and by the end of it I often get slack.)

I've realised I probably need the kick-start of working with a trainer. But I just had a squizz at the K9 Force site and note that you can do loose leash program via distance learning. (I'm also in Melbourne.)

Our loose leash walking program

This is the basic program that we give to all our clients when we teach them how to cure those pulling dogs. You will be guided on how to get your leash puller to stop pulling, fast.

Very simplistic short program that is easy to understand & apply, comes with one month unlimited email support, one support phone call also.

Program runs for 1 month @ $100.00

Now I'm not sure whether to book a couple of training sessions with a live trainer (who can see my dog, and help me with other issues) or go with Steve's program if it's so good. I gather you're doing the distance training thing Kynan?

Yes I highly recommend Steve's Loosh Leash Walking program. Started it on Friday with my 10 month old German Shepherd and the results were instant and amazing. Today we walked past 2 other dogs with no pulling and this is only day 4 of the program! Thanks Steve :(

And I gather you're a big fan? Do you think the program is worth it even without a trainer on hand? Does Steve use the basic pulling = standing still method?

I dont know about the K9 force method but one method I know is, basically, whatever the direction the dog trys to pull, quickly spin and walk the other way. So if they pull forward, turn around and go back. If they veer to the left, turn and go to the right. Make sure that you dont slow down for the dog or speed up for them. They go at Your speed.

Every dog is trainable :love:!

Another really fantastic trainer is Steve Austin or his wife Vicki.

http://www.petresortsaustralia.com/

I dont know about the K9 force method but one method I know is, basically, whatever the direction the dog trys to pull, quickly spin and walk the other way. So if they pull forward, turn around and go back. If they veer to the left, turn and go to the right. Make sure that you dont slow down for the dog or speed up for them. They go at Your speed.

Every dog is trainable :eek:!

Another really fantastic trainer is Steve Austin or his wife Vicki.

http://www.petresortsaustralia.com/

This is the only method that has worked for my dog and I had been working on it for over a year.

Stopping and starting made no impact on my dog, it just made the walks longer :)

I got a trainer who showed me how to get her to heel and to correct her at the right time whilst spinning on my foot to turn away from her. (Jen has explained it above better than I can). For the first time we actually can walk nonstop. :thumbsup:

I do recommend a trainer because not all methods work on all dogs and a trainer has a breadth of experience to help you. ( ;) Listen to me, it took AAAAGES for me to get one. Silly, now I look back.)

Good luck.

Hi my problem or her problem is she wont walk at all ( 5month old staffy ) she will just sit or lay down my kids think its a big joke they get a good :scared: at me trying it in the back yard plz help

Try showing her a treat then holding it by your side to lure her along. Repeat x 1000 up and down the backyard until she understands what you want her to do.