Gloves

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also do you use a seperate seekback article to your other scent articles? It says in the rules "and the dimensions are not to exceed those of a Scent Discrimination article." but the seek back article is thicker isnt it?

Where is a good place to get articles?

I know this website, are there any others? http://www.obedienceproducts.com/resources.html

Shoemonster - I just purchased two leather seekbacks from that place and I am really happy with them. I used to make my own and they were the similar - but they weren't stitched. I did think $12 was a bit pricey, but in the end just paid it anyway.

Not sure if you have a contact for Gina O'Keefe - but a friend of hers makes rolled leather ones in WA and I think they are about $4. Otherwise you can use a normal wooden or metal scent article.

And Leopuppy - YES Kinta should be starting UD exercises now and YES she does have a lazy owner who should be beaten with my wooden stick! :thumbsup:

Now I feel like I got really ripped off when I bought my articles from here. Thhough I have to say that the service is excellent and that they put up with my endless questions by email, so for service, I guess it is worth it. They are also willing to sell individual articles (ie. if you want an extra leather article for seek back).

http://www.callicoma.com.au/training1.htm#...tion%20articles

Shoemonster - I would double check the rules before for your state before you purchase a rolled seekback article. I am not sure if you can still use a rolled seek back article in NSW - I would love if someone could clarify for me. Our (NSW) rules say...

"Seek Back Article

The Seek Back article must not be white, or conspicious in colour and must be the same shape as, and the dimensions are not to exceed those of a Scent Discrimination article. It may be comprised of any material."

(emphasis mine)

Edited by squeak

Washing articles - well when I was new to the game I went through the washing phase and what cured me - I decided one day to wash the leather ones by putting them in boiling water - I wanted all those smells gones. I came back to find my leather articles were minitures - they had shrunk to next to nothing :thumbsup: so a word of advice from one who learnt the hard way - don't ever put them in boiling water.

Have to say - you need to do nothing at all to your articles - other than taking the lid off the container and leaving them outdoors to air in the container. Its best to have at least three sets though so you can rotate them, but once the dog knows the exercise I can use the same articles every night for training and it makes no difference to the dog. I think I have about 8 sets for 5 dogs.

As for the seekback rules - the rules are the same in every state as we all use the same blue rule book - and the rolled seekback is the same shape and size as the metal article. I have trialled in most states under judges from every state and my rolled article has never been questioned.

Off topic......at the Nationals, somebody from NSW came up to me and said if I ever trialled in NSW I would lose points because I played with my dog in the ring between exercises. HMmm can't wait to trial in NSW next year!

:thumbsup: about Article sets. Hmmm I was using 2 sets for 1 dog (had 3 but only liked 2). Now I have 7 sets - 5 of which are full sets which we use and the other 2 are spares for mucking around with (only cos Ness isn't a fan of them - might use them for Kenzie).

I also washed my articles - don't anymore. Somebody suggested placing them in cold water with a drop of rose water to "descent" them. My latest new sets I just left outside with lids off for a few weeks before using them.

Since when is it illegal to play in the ring - argh ok I am not going to come trial in NSW (maybe you better make it the ACT Ptolomy :wave: ).

Edited by ness

Off topic......at the Nationals, somebody from NSW came up to me and said if I ever trialled in NSW I would lose points because I played with my dog in the ring between exercises. HMmm can't wait to trial in NSW next year!

That's not true, we have the same rules between exercises. :thumbsup:

:rolleyes: Ptolomy you scare me!

Well - I did do some work the other day with the doggies - Kinta is starting to sort out her left turns (oh... hang on... I am getting my footwork right for left turns) and Leo was doing some nice work in UD... still a loooong ways to go though :mad Does that count :p

Washing articles - well when I was new to the game I went through the washing phase and what cured me - I decided one day to wash the leather ones by putting them in boiling water - I wanted all those smells gones. I came back to find my leather articles were minitures - they had shrunk to next to nothing :confused: so a word of advice from one who learnt the hard way - don't ever put them in boiling water.

ROFL! Too funny!

Well - I bought a airing tray thingy (very descriptive I know!) from Aldi and put all my articles on there for about 24 - 28hrs. Just to be sure - the articles then go in the freezer as that seemed to help. Now that Leo is getting better at it, it doesn't seem to matter as much, so a good airing on the rack seems to do well!

Really!!!! Hmm... that could be interesting :mad

Argh Leopuppy - you know I am big and scary NOT! :confused:

I did go through a stage when I first started scent articles with Lara - where I would use the articles and would then put them in a zipped undies/stocking wash bag and hang them on the washing line. Believe me - it really really isn't necessary.

Now I have never heard of putting them in the freezer. No room in my freezer due to all the dog food and icecream! :rolleyes:

Getting back to the gloves.....

We get ours from Coles/ Woolworths or Bunnings. Cotton gardening gloves - some are whiter than others. You can bleach them to make them a wee bit whiter - or to clean then when they are grotty. We usually have a training pair (which are really really dirty with dog goozie :mad ) and a trialling pair which are cleaner and I am not too embarrassed to hand to the judge. :mad

I agree with the articles. I just take off the lid and leave them on the back deck to air between uses. I usually have 2 sets per dog I am training and alternate with each training session. I have odd bits and pieces that I start them with, and these just live in a little bucket on the deck and air between uses.

No freezing or boiling here! I think these ideas may have come about with the old training methods of putting food on the "correct" article.

Geez I dunno mine probably do have food on them to some extent as I don't wash my hands before playing a scent session :rolleyes: . In fact my trial sets probably have some food smells on them as well. Ooops.

ETA. And for those who haven't met Ptolomy don't listen to what she has to say she is VERY scary :confused: .

Edited by ness

ETA. And for those who haven't met Ptolomy don't listen to what she has to say she is VERY scary :confused: .

LOL - just because I have had to use my stick on you many a time :mad

At least you know before I beat you I will start off with something positive........like you did well getting up early this morning - now HOW COME YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANY TRAINING! :rolleyes: