Low Light Question

ruthless

Hrm....yes bumping up the ISO is one way Ruthy, do you have a 50mm lens? They are great for low light. Depending on how steady you are, you will have to have a steady hand, lower the shutter speed right down, Appeture etc. Depending on the quality of your camera, you photos may be lower quality when you blow them up on a high ISO. Whats the highest setting?

You could also buy a flash, they take a bit of practice too.

I've a 50mm 1.8 on the way, my other 50mm is a bit slow to focus and frustrates the shit out of me :)

Inside portraits of the dogs. Not fully static as they'll be breathing :p

I shoot most of my indoor stuff with a flash (or two) bounced off the ceiling.

All the indoor shots (including the 'studio' shots) in Barkly's blog were shot with flash (or two) bounced off the ceiling.

What kind of flash? How would you use two :) Studio lights?

One flash can 'trigger' the other.

One goes on the camera hotshoe and points up at the ceiling (this one is called Master). One goes on a nearby bench (or stand, or held in your hand, whatever) and is triggered almost immediately when the Master goes off (the second flash is called a Slave).

Alternatively, you can buy a ST-E2 transmitter which will trigger both (or more) flashes. That way, you have the ST-E2 transmitter on the camera hotshoe and 2 (or 3 or 4..) flashes 'off camera'.

strobist.blogspot.com has lots of info !!

I use bounce flash inside too sometimes. I have the Canon 580, stick it on the camera and point it up or at a wall etc - not at the subject. It's fun to practice. I've got all the triggers and remotes and stands etc, but that's far too much effort for shooting the doggies in the evenings LOL

You can also shoot at 1.8 when that lens arrives and bump your ISO up up up and your shutter down. Remember you'll have very very narrow DOF so take more than one frame each time!

You'll have to experiment as things will vary from room to room.

I bought a flash when I was in college that can either go on top of the camera or off to the side. I'm pretty sure I left batteries in it for a long time and they corroded, but if I could get it fixed up would it be worth my while? What's so good about the Speedlites? How does one flash differ from another?

The Canon speedlites let you do tricksy things like fire other speedlites without extra remote bits and use ettl etc.

There are lots of people using other brands and remote triggers - Sunpaks are popular and lots cheaper.

As with everything photo it seems, the costs go up for brand names and more functions/features...which may or may not get used LOL

It's a Cobra700AF. I couldn't find much on Google except they were on Ebay for $15 at some point :kissbetter: I put batteries in and it actually works :rofl:

I'm off to try out my new secondhand lens and very old flash! If my camera's charged that is :hug:

I don't know that flash, it's probably a manual one that you will need to adjust yourself.

Hit Google and see if your camera model will run that flash in ettl mode - if it won't, your camera will not talk to the flash so you'll have to choose the settings.