Lead Lengths..

Luke W

What length leads to people prefer?

For walking their dogs?

For obedience training?

For obedience trailling?

For outside the agility rings?

Who uses fleecy tug leads? What lengths?

I'm about to order some custom leads and I'm tossing up between lengths...

Personally, a 4 foot lead (or even shorter) seems preferable for generally walking for me...the dog is next to me anyway, the lead is in the hand closest to the dog and any extra lead is simply bundled up in my hand.

For obedience training at a club...again, whats the advantage of a longer lead?

What about fleecy leads for the end of agility runs?

Why are 6 foot leads oft recommended...is it to get some distance for stays??...in which case it's not much distance is it? and I could always just drop a 4foot lead if I needed some disstance....

I'd like to hear opinions before I open the wallet for some custom leads.

Edited by Luke W

What length leads to people prefer?

I have a few leads...

General walking: 6 foot lead because I am tall and my puppies are short!! I like to be able to hold the lead in both hands at the same time so that extra length is good. I have a 4 foot lead for our new puppy coming, but that's only because I could only find the 4 foot length in the brand I wanted.

Obedience: 6 foot. I would prefer longer, because that means when you are doing on-lead stays you can get further from your dog. Often in the obedience classes early on you are not allowed to let go of the lead.

Park: 10m long line for non-off lead parks.

Edited by TerraNik

I'm tall and my dogs are on the short side. I walk them with 5 foot mountain leads (usually those leads are clipped around my body most of the time) and obedience train them on 3 foot mountain leads.

I find 4 foot a bit short to clip around me

ETA: For agility trials, I use a show lead and no collar. My dogs run nekid. :thumbsup: For training I use a 5 footer or what ever is crashing around in the car.

Edited by poodlefan

We use a really short leash for obedience work because its nice and light, but we also do off lead work so we don't need a really long lead for stays etc.

For walks I have both a 6 ft and 4 ft leather leash, I like them both - I like the 6 ft esp if I am doing some recall work or jogging because it gives the dogs a bit of room to move. If I wanted a leash purely for walking, I would go with the 4ft.

So hard to decide!

I don't usually walk him very far on-leash...just 200m to the park. Then he either goes off-leash or onto a 10m long line.

I'm leading towards..

- A 4 foot show lead (loop with sliding stopper) - for quick trips outside to the toilet.

- A 6 foot snap-hook lead for walks and obedience (unfortunately, once we get beyond the on-lead obedience, I'd probably prefer a 4 foot lead. I prefer to hold the leash in one hand).

- A 6 foot fleecy slip lead for outside the agility ring (good for tug).

The leather leads I'm looking at are over $100 each so I kinda want to get it right.

PS - Jogging isn't quite my style :thumbsup:

Edited by Luke W

So hard to decide!

I don't usually walk him very far on-leash...just 200m to the park. Then he either goes off-leash or onto a 10m long line.

I'm leading towards..

- A 4 foot show lead (loop with sliding stopper) - for quick trips outside to the toilet.

- A 6 foot snap-hook lead for walks and obedience (unfortunately, once we get beyond the on-lead obedience, I'd probably prefer a 4 foot lead. I prefer to hold the leash in one hand).

- A 6 foot fleecy slip lead for outside the agility ring (good for tug).

The leather leads I'm looking at are over $100 each so I kinda want to get it right.

PS - Jogging isn't quite my style :thumbsup:

I got mine from K9 Force for under a $100 - I have a 4ft premium and a 6ft standard and they are both great:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=leashes.html

But I just wanted a nice, strong, comfy leather leash for walks. The 4ft is a great size for just walks.

For walking, a four foot lead (I cant stand dogs sniffing to the end of the lead while exercising them) (free sniff time is off lead)

Obedience training is all off lead (they have a four footer at obedience club to keep the rule book in check)

I like the Rogz stuff.

...they have a four footer at obedience club to keep the rule book in check)

What does this mean dogdude?

Is there something about lead lengths in the 'rulebook' for Australian Obedience?

My guess is that dogdude's club rulebook requires dogs to be on lead unless they are actively obedience training.

I got mine from K9 Force for under a $100 - I have a 4ft premium and a 6ft standard and they are both great:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=leashes.html

But I just wanted a nice, strong, comfy leather leash for walks. The 4ft is a great size for just walks.

I think I'm going to get mine from here:

http://www.leashesbydesign.com/Kangaroo%20Leashes.html

I prefer rounded handles.

Edited by Luke W

Oh, they're nice Luke. I tend to prefer the thicker handles and leash, but if I wanted thinner rounded ones I'd be heading there! damn dogs, they make me spend so much money on them :thumbsup:

Tell me about it....

Mine's looking at me right now...and I just know he's thinking...

"Hey Luke, I wouldn't mind a new flash kangaroo lead or two and a nice fleecy tug lead too! Oh...and did I mention...I need some new Tuffie Toys. Can you get me the turtle and the sheep?...Thanks".

I may as well teach him how to use the internet and give him my credit card :)

I use a 6 ft for general walking but I make an effort to go places where we can walk off-lead for fitness purposes anyway.

For agility I made my own soft tug lead by plaiting polarfleece and a strip of webbing type material, it is about 1.5 metres long.

My dog also runs nude in trials/training so just a clip quick release collar with it.

For obedience I used to use the 6 footer, but it's a very soft yacht braid rope with no loop so nice and easy to hold in my hands at the correct length (was originally a horse rope which I added a clip too :thumbsup: )

This is a Stafford breeders website that makes seriously blingy leather leads and collars

NICE LEADS AND COLLARS

They do seem really nice, Dogdude and I'll be keeping that site in mind for when Mandela is ready for his 'adult' sized collar. I'd like to see some bigger pictures of the collars though so I can more easily identify the detail in the collar work, but perhaps they will accommodate me when I contact them.

I had a lovely leather collar made up for my previous (avatar) girl. It was very simple with 'coach like' rectangle brass studs spaced around the collar. Suited her - very elegant. I happened to bump into the girl who made them when I was visiting a vet one day and have since lost her contact name and details :eek:.

For general walking I prefer a long lead, I have 6foot leads. For obedience trialling with Bella I had a lead custom made from Blackdog - I worked out the length I needed allowing a good loop to show the lead is loose.

The tug leads are great too, but my dogs are more food motivated than toy motivated so that is their reward after a run.

Edited by helen