Point And Shoot

Pointers Rule

I am wanting to get a camera that I can point and shoot, I don't want to bother with lens and fancy stuff. I am not into photographing flowers and landscapes etc. It would only get used for dog related stuff and snapshots when we travel. I thinking about this..... http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...#ModelDetailAct

Any thoughts? It is around the $350 mark, I think, although I am only at the beginning of research on this so not sure.

The Canon compact cameras are awesome and you can't go wrong with their S, A or SD series.

Go the S if you don't mind the extra size.

Go the A if you want all of the manual controls (plus all of the auto modes so you can just totally point and shoot) in a smaller package (way smaller). There are hacks out there to add RAW to many of these models, if RAW is something that is important to you.

Go the SD if you know you don't want any manual controls, want something that is as small as can be so it slips in any bag, pocket or purse. I love the SD range for a happy snappy camera - so tiny, really nice photos and just easy.

The S5 IS is a great camera for a point and shoot, my mum got one recently before she went to Scotland. Remembering that she's a beginner, these are some of the pics it took on auto

8-7.jpg

10-5.jpg

8-6.jpg

This one was taken through the window of the bus she was travelling on, whilst the bus was in motion

7-5.jpg

Low light and moving subjects

4.jpg

The Canon compact cameras are awesome and you can't go wrong with their S, A or SD series.

Go the S if you don't mind the extra size.

A friend has an earlier version of the s51s and I actually like the size and feel of it, you can feel it in your hands, it is what prompt me to look into this one.

The S5 IS is a great camera for a point and shoot, my mum got one recently before she went to Scotland. Remembering that she's a beginner, these are some of the pics it took on auto

Lovely photos, the camera is looking better and better for what we want it for, now just got to find one in Rockhampton...

Thanks for the input!

Sorry, weren't you looking at the S5? Seems available... S5

The G9 is also a pretty capable camera that you might want to consider...

Yes, we are looking at the s5.

We are in Rockhampton, so not a huge range. Spoke to both Harvey Norman and also the large camera shop in town and was told the same thing by both, although it looks to be available online, so niot sure what is going on...

Edited by Pointers Rule

Ah, just order it online. Harvey is almost always totally overpriced and I've yet to be in one that has anyone behind the desk who has a real clue anyway :laugh:

FWIW camera models get superseded usually at least once or twice a year and many retailers will tell you that a model is no longer available once they have cleared stock so they can get in the newer, higher priced models. Newer models sometimes aren't that much better (or better at all - sometimes they aren't as good!) and you'll never keep up with the ever changing digital race. Just find a camera that suits your needs now, grab it and get out there and have fun! :dropjaw: