Feeding Chicken Carcasses To A "scoffer" ?

Hi :laugh:

I have read that lots of people give their dogs chicken carcasses, so I have just gotten heaps of them from a mate.

I have frozen them individually, and want to give him his first one Monday morning.

I'm really nervous about it though, cos he scoffs his food, and I am worried that he may choke (I'm imagining that he may try to swallow it whole :laugh: ) He's a 14yr old bully.

Can someone give me some suggestions that may put my mind at ease?

My guys do chicken carcasses with no problems, but the only one who is big enough for it to be a potential problem (Diesel) is a careful eater. The Kelpies are faster eaters but being smaller they have to chew them well!

I am always around when they eat though in case there ever is a problem.

The first time I gave our boy a chicken frame defrosted, he ate it in two bites :laugh: Thankfully there weren't any problems despite that, yay for bendy chicken bones!

Now I feed them to him frozen and it takes him a lot longer, and he seems to chew them into tiny pieces before swallowing. Each dog will treat them differently but I'd just say what others have already said -- supervise him at first to make sure he chews.

I'll definitely be supervising that's for sure.

I think I may have read a while ago that people feed frozen?

Would this be ok to slow him down a little?

maybe not in the dead of winter :laugh: makes for a shaking puppy.

but the breeder we got Koda from recommended it for summer

maybe not in the dead of winter :laugh: makes for a shaking puppy.

but the breeder we got Koda from recommended it for summer

I guess it's different for each dog, because mine has no problems with frozen even in the Canberra winter :laugh: So I guess the coldness factor can be a part of the supervision!

Like others, I ALWAYS feed any type of bone under supervision

I have a "scoffer:( or as we call her "hoover" ) but she does not do this with bones and the chicken carcasses I get from the chicken shop( would not nuy from a pet supply place) are about the size of a small turkey :laugh:

Guest Tess32

Dogs aren't meant to chew a lot, they just crunch crunch crunch swallow.

If you're really worried, bigger the portion, less scoffing (ie, a maryland might work better).

Kenny was a scoffer & a vacuum cleaner with normal foods, but i trained him to eat some foods slowly & chew properly. Whenever he tried to scoff something, I'd take it off him & before giving it back, I say "chew it very nicely please" & he does, I know it sounds weird, but it works, because he loves his food & hates me taking it off him. Though at 14, might be hard to retrain your dog, though Bull breeds are very intelligent dogs & usually pick things up quickly.

Thank you everyone for replying :D

I will give him the first on Monday thawed and stay with him while he eats.

They are what I consider a good size, I got them from a place that supplies to top quality restaurants :laugh:

I'd take it off him & before giving it back, I say "chew it very nicely please" & he does, I know it sounds weird, but it works, because he loves his food & hates me taking it off him. Though at 14, might be hard to retrain your dog, though Bull breeds are very intelligent dogs & usually pick things up quickly.

If he starts to scoff, will take it off him, tell him to slow down, and try again. He does learn new things if HE thinks it's important :laugh:

Once it gets warmer I will try him with a frozen one.

Is that him in the pics? He's a lovely looking boy and doing well for his age ;)

Yep that is him :eek: He turns 14 in November.

He had a serious case of Nasal Aspergillosis earlier this year and lost a few kilos, I am hoping by feeding him the chicken carcasses every couple of days(as an extra) he might put a bit of the weight back on.

My Golden Retriever is a huge scoffer, yet he is great with Chicken Frames. He eats them so slowly. He used to swallow wings whole so I just hand fed him for a while until he got the gist of chewing. Now he is much better. If your dog will allow it, maybe just hold onto the frame while he eats it, and just allow him to take off a bit at a time.

Well it wasn't as bad a I thought, though not as pleasant as I would have liked..LOL

He did want to devour it, so I told him to drop it, which he did.

After telling him to "eat nicely", which is what I say when giving smaller treats, he picked it up gently at one end and then, I think, was going to try to swallow it whole :noidea:

I ended up holding it while he ate, he managed to eat it in about three or four pieces, chomping only a couple of times with each mouthful.

Hi guys, sorry to ask this in this thread, but I thought it was good place to ask. I have a 16kg (18 month old) staffy, who is walked everyday how many chicken frames a week should she be fed? Or better still does anyone just feed chicken frames everyday?

If mine get a chicken frame then they usually dont get anything else.

A frame is 250-300g which is about what Gizmo gets (he is 18kg) anyway. I just make sure over the period of a week I balance out his meat -> bone ratio.

So if I'm reading this right. When feeding a chicken frame on that day feed nothing else?

Thanks