Too Harsh A Punishment

The fact that she did not settle before OH put her in her crate tells you something is not right with her.

I suggested he put her in her crate cause I knew she was looking for trouble. IMO she didn't need to go to the toilet, she was just being a brat cause she didn't get her way.

I do give her lots of praise when she pees outside. This has been going on for over 2 years now. Clearly we're doing something wrong, but hopefully some consistency with NILIF will help matters.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Thats the sort of logic that a child would understand. The dog has no clue why its sleeping on the floor :laugh:

I dont really know what to do. I have never really had the need to correct a dog from eliminating in the house. Iv always just - Well I dont really know ! Iv just got them in a habit of knowing where to eliminate, I dont really know how. Sorry no help here :laugh:

But seriously apart from what the husband is doing which obviously isnt going to work I dont think there is a need for any kind of correction just gentle persuasion. Outsmart it its only a puppy !

Edited by calsonic350z

is she :laugh:

Maybe you see if you can identify a pattern to her behaviour to try and work out why she sometimes pees in the house. Is it always in the same spot ? Could it be something messing up her routine that triggers it ? Stuff like that see if you can run down the list and maybe isolate a reason.

They're protest wees!!! She does them when things haven't gone her way!

She's a rescue, we got her at 1.5 or 2yo. The first thing she did when we brought her home was go into the living room and take a piss on the carpet :laugh: While we were finding something to clean it up she did a pooh :laugh:

Sometimes the reason for peeing in the house is cause she wouldn't go out in the rain to pee, but it's generally a protest thing.

We watch her like a hawk, but sometimes we drop our guard and don't realise she's tiptoed into another room :laugh:

This is the dog that looks over her shoulder and laughs at me when she's running away and I'm telling her to "come" :laugh:

ETA I shouldn't laugh, clearly she's no respect for me, but I'm working on it :laugh:

Edited by ruthless

LMAO I just noticed the "no" in your sig next to Angel's name. :laugh:

Jarrah's was protest wees too, I think I posted it in another thread, the OH & I went to Tonga and left Jarrah at home with OH's two sisters to mind her. We hadn't had Jarrah very long - about a month or 2 I think, but we had house trained her. One night SIL was in bed, having a very realistic dream about a warm shower, and woke up to Jarrah squatting next to her in the bed providing her with aforementioned shower. :laugh: :laugh:

She was just awful when we got back, widdling in front of the spare room where the girls were sleeping. I'd never catch her in the act, so I just started scolding the wet spots - I read it here - it seemed better than doing nothing, maybe it just helped me to think I was taking action or maybe it worked. I dunno, but she did stop weeing in the house.

Agree with command for toilet - I am working on that now. I say "toilet... ....good" ("good" being secondary reinforcer denoting impending treat) just as she's finishing up and give her a treat when she's finished. I've only been doing it in the back yard though, I should probably do the same on walks as well. Will be very handy to have a dog who wees on command for car trips and visiting people etc.

They're protest wees!!! She does them when things haven't gone her way!

I'm curious....do dogs really do that? If so....that's pretty hilarious!

The experts say no, but Jake weeing on my sofa when I was late home and he definitely wouldn't have needed to go- I reckon so. :laugh: Mind you he soon learnt no point in doing protest pees and gave up!

I make Jake go outside to wee before I go to bed, he has go to out even if it is raining, if he tries to come back in I go out there with him. We used to stay out there until he did something. Now he knows.

But I agree it's difficult if she is doing it as attention seeking or being naughty. If I get on the telephone, Jake will find a shoe to run around with or a rubber ball to chew up. Just like a toddler or small child!

I agree about the stafford comment above btw, nothing so funny as watching Jake walk around in frost when we went down the Southern Highlands - he seemed to think it was going to kill him :laugh: He loves chasing the hose, swimming, but, if he is not after the ball and it is raining - oh no that's going to kill him too. Stafford logic, very special!!!

The fact that she did not settle before OH put her in her crate tells you something is not right with her.

I suggested he put her in her crate cause I knew she was looking for trouble. IMO she didn't need to go to the toilet, she was just being a brat cause she didn't get her way.

I do give her lots of praise when she pees outside. This has been going on for over 2 years now. Clearly we're doing something wrong, but hopefully some consistency with NILIF will help matters.

I think you're going to nmeed more than NILF if you think that she pees inside because 'she was just being a brat cause she didn't get her way.' !!!!

They just don't do that - at least that's what all the experts say!

I think you're going to nmeed more than NILF if you think that she pees inside because 'she was just being a brat cause she didn't get her way.' !!!!

They just don't do that - at least that's what all the experts say!

Have you ever owned a Stafford then? :laugh:

Even if thats not why they're doing it, they make you think it is by their expressions :laugh:

Luke W I've spoken to behaviourists and trainers about this. If they all believe that the problem is our lack of proper pack structure and leadership and the remedy is NILIF then I'll try NILIF. Me choosing to believe that she does it out of pure naughtiness has nothing to do with it really!

Your problem is lack of consistancy. NILIF if not just for this week or when you feel like putting in the effort - the point is that is the rules of the house.

nothing in life comes free. Write down the rules, stick them to the fridge and make sure everyone sticks to them.

If she doesn want to pee - then she stays outside until she does.

If she sneaks away - shut the door, get a child barrier whatever

This is the dog that looks over her shoulder and laughs at me when she's running away and I'm telling her to "come"

why do you give her opportunities for YOU to fail? You condition her not to listen?

Sounds like any punishment you do is 1) not correct for the dog 2) very mistimed.

We've started NILIF (again embarrass.gif). She was on the dog bed in the lounge and woke up. She came to me and put her head on my knee waiting to be invited up. I ignored her for a while and after a few minutes told her to get back into bed. She did, but got up again a few minutes later and started wandering around. OH got up and let her out the back. She didn't wee. When she came back in and she wouldn't settle so he put her in her crate [which is in another room, but not far from where we were sitting]. He didn't close the door though and she got out and when Ivan came into us a few minutes later I asked if Angel had gotten into his bed, cause he usually wouldn't get up otherwise! A couple of minutes later she came back in and when I put her on the bed with the others she stayed there. I went to bed shortly afterwards and left OH to put the dogs to bed.

OH has the shits cause he gave her the opportunity to pee and she didn't.

I reckon she pee'd in Ivan's bed cause she either had the shits about not being allowed on the sofa or cause she was put in her crate before bedtime.

I have the shits that OH didn't shut the door on her crate like I told him to laugh.gif

She doesn't have a weak bladder, it's definitely a behavioural thing. They're protest wees wink.gif

teach the dog that she has to wee before bed time and remove water after last wees. Keep the crate doors locked all the time and no dog can enter anothers crate. Again - no opportunity. She wee's because she's letting you know she's the boss around there and if you think you're going to be boss your wrong. If you cannot be consistant then do not expect the dogs to take you seriously. If you say something you give them one chance to comply or there is an immediate consequence to not respecting the leader.

Sometimes the reason for peeing in the house is cause she wouldn't go out in the rain to pee, but it's generally a protest thing.

Are you sure you haven't taught her not to wee in front of you? Plenty of people do by buggering up their aversives, and then they wonder why their dog is "sneaky". I agree with Poodlefan that it's tether time, and it's also stubborn time. No point saying "she won't wee" outside, you have to outstubborn the dog. After meals, waking and playing dog goes out until it wees and then you throw a liver party. If that means you sit in a garden chair for an hour, that's what it means. Just don't eyeball her, no-one likes to go in front of someone else staring at them.

So, your OH may in fact be the soft one - waiting outside isn't fun, but if you don't have the patience for it you pay in wet beds.

Are you sure you haven't taught her not to wee in front of you? Plenty of people do by buggering up their aversives, and then they wonder why their dog is "sneaky". I agree with Poodlefan that it's tether time, and it's also stubborn time. No point saying "she won't wee" outside, you have to outstubborn the dog. After meals, waking and playing dog goes out until it wees and then you throw a liver party. If that means you sit in a garden chair for an hour, that's what it means. Just don't eyeball her, no-one likes to go in front of someone else staring at them.

So, your OH may in fact be the soft one - waiting outside isn't fun, but if you don't have the patience for it you pay in wet beds.

Nice post.

Similarly for the 'running away when you say come" issue.

What is the dogs motivation for coming? Sometimes owners ruin a dogs recall inadvertantly....For example, what usually happens when the dog DOES come? For some dogs this means the lead goes on and the dog goes home or the dog gets banished outside or the dog gets punished.

Similarly for the 'running away when you say come" issue.

What is the dogs motivation for coming? Sometimes owners ruin a dogs recall inadvertantly....For example, what usually happens when the dog DOES come? For some dogs this means the lead goes on and the dog goes home or the dog gets banished outside or the dog gets punished.

This technique is designed to excite the dog into coming to you. As opposed to chasing the dog when it doesn't come which teaches it that its fun to run away from you. Every trainer I have spoken to advocates this.

I think you are assuming Ruthless is a novice and a bit clueless- which she most definitely is not.