Best Diet For A Puppy?

~Aimee~

We have a almost 10 week old cavalier king charles spaniel and was wondering what the best diet was to feed her? At the moment we are giving her advance puppy plus. Is this all she needs? At what age will she need more that just simply dry food? When do you introduce meat, rice & vegies?

Hello Aimee ;)

I introduced Lucy to raw chicken breasts and chicken necks when she was 10 weeks. I only gave it for dinner and would cut the necks up into small pieces. I probably do this every second night. I also grate some carrot on top of the chicken breast. Im endulging her with the breast fillets, i might have to get some thigh! hehe

In the puppy care pack we got from our breeder it says to contine with the Advance Puppy Plus. This is what she was being fed at the breeders. It also said to give her puppy milk which we did for the first 2 weeks. We have stopped the milk now as I don't really think she needs it. It doesn't say how long to continue this diet for though.

I didn't know you could give dogs raw chicken. I thought it needed to be cooked first to avoid salmonela?

I think it would be good to do a bit of research, and decide what you feel is best for your puppy.

I have 8 & 9 week olds here & they are eating a variety of things liek raw chicken necks, lamb hearts,raw kidneys, human grade beef mince, pet grade chicken mince, raw eggs with crushed shells, mashed cooked pumpkin, wing tips, rolled oats,goats milk, yoghurt..........I think that is all.........I dont feed any commercial foods to my dogs.

In my care packs I suggest to those new owners that dont want to feed a raw diet to feed a holistic brand like Eagle Pack, Orijen, Ziwi Peak.........and feed some raw foods & bones with it.......

Thanks cavandra, do you have any links to information I could read? We want to continue with the dry food but just add some extras every now and then. What meat and vegies would be best to add? Is there anything I shouldn't be giving her?

Bellatrix, how much raw chicken breast are you giving Lucy at one time? I'm a bit scared to give Ruby chicken necks in case she chokes. How do you cut through the bone to chop them into smaller pieces? I didn't think you could cut through bone?

What is everyone else feeding their small breed puppies?

I have Paps.

I have never cut up chicken necks for them they get given them whole and have done since they were brought here or were born.

They get a small amount of kibble however they eat chicken frames, lambs hearts (cut in half) and any bones beef pork or lamb that my bigger dogs get.

They are treated the same as the big kids but may get smaller offerings.

I have attached a pic of Dream who carried a whole chicken carcass into her bed which she had decided was hers and not one of the big kids.

post-2231-1220363441_thumb.jpg

Edited by wylie