Drive Training Question

Can anyone point me in the right direction either by link to previous threads or info?

Since attending the Drive Workshop Jake and I have been practising with our toy of choice.

We can do good, sits, down etc with the toy there both at home and in the park.

However, how do you take it to the next level ie get that level of obedience without the item of choice being there. Or am I missing the point? I thought that the whole idea (from what I understood from Steve) was eventually YOU become the focus so that it doesn't matter if you have the toy or item or not??

I remember the example where Steve said his dogs were just happy if he threw some grass in the air for them as that was good enough for them.

Have I missed something?

Can anyone help?

Don't worry, you're not the only one :laugh: I have a long way to go with drive training, I think of my current dogs as practice :laugh: Actually Kaos is getting quite good in the yard (drive building) but haven't tried out of the yard for a while, he didn't do it out of the yard last time I tried.

Diesel is strangely more consistent in this outside of the yard than Kaos, he is consistently not all that interested :laugh: though he may do it for one or two tugs. Kaos goes great guns in the yard, but just looks at me funny in the park.

Mine prefer squeaky toys that you throw than tugs when out and about, so I tend to use these in training more. At the moment I am only doing drive work in the yard to work on their drive building and my technique.

Edit to make more sense!

Edited by Kavik

Don't worry, you're not the only one :laugh: I have a long way to go with drive training, I think of my current dogs as practice :laugh: Actually Kaos is getting quite good in the yard (drive building) but haven't tried out of the yard for a while, he didn't do it out of the yard last time I tried. Diesel is strangely more consistent in this than Kaos, he is consistently not all that interested :laugh: though he may do it for one or two tugs.

Mine prefer squeaky toys that you throw than tugs when out and about.

Jake has nooooooooooooo problem going into drive, he did it at the workshop in front of all the strange dogs with a tug toy, he loves the ball, so we use that too, pretty much anything that is likely to move he likes (including skateboards unfortunately but we are seeing Steve about that paritcular issue in Oct :cry: ).

However, I think I have been getting ahead of myself forgot I need the command?!!! It's not his fault, of course, it is mine, I obviously have ADHD :)

Why not invest in a Balabanov or Leerburg drive training DVD? Or didn't Steve say he does a drive training distance learning package?

If you want to haul ass over to Horsley Park every Monday night you could come to Schutzhund club with me and Chopper! If they let another imposter dog join, that is :laugh:

Why not invest in a Balabanov or Leerburg drive training DVD? Or didn't Steve say he does a drive training distance learning package?

If you want to haul ass over to Horsley Park every Monday night you could come to Schutzhund club with me and Chopper! If they let another imposter dog join, that is :rolleyes:

Ruthless,

Where would I get my hands on a DVD?

I wish I wasn't so crap in the evenings (I am dead by about 9pm) or I would join you at Schutzhund (although I think in our case if we are imposters it should be ssshushhund!! :p

I am coming to the aggression workshop btw (not with Jake) but because I am interested. Looking forward to meeting Trixie as I have never seen her in person (dogson) - I am so funny!!! :D

Where would I get my hands on a DVD?

On the interweb! :rolleyes:

I wish I wasn't so crap in the evenings (I am dead by about 9pm) or I would join you at Schutzhund (although I think in our case if we are imposters it should be ssshushhund!! :p

Me too, but I figured I can do one night a week. If Sundays suit you better there's a club near Wollongong that train then.

I am coming to the aggression workshop btw (not with Jake) but because I am interested. Looking forward to meeting Trixie as I have never seen her in person (dogson) - I am so funny!!! :D

Yeah, I saw that. She's a sweetie. You''ll see why she's worth the effort :(

I reccomend Steves TID distance packageas well, we are in module 2 of it and going well

The Balabanov DVD's are good too

Agreed! :) I've done Steve's distance learning package and been to a workshop and just got my hands on the balabanov dvd's and still want to know more!!

Edited by Seita