Jack Russells - What The?

Guest nikel66

dont blame the dog blame the owner! Sounds like the little ratbags are the ones in charge and no one has really put the effort in to stop them. Terriers are willful little creatures but that is no excuse. As for slow on the uptake, they probably learned that if they push a little harder they can get their own way and have for 2 1/2 years.

I would look into citronella collars, yes they can be used on Jackies. If that fails you can get a static bark collar to make them be quiet. Remember too Jackies need stimulation and the barking can be a combination of lack of discipline, territoriality and boredom. If the collars are applied they do need to have an outlet for their energy, rotated toys, a sand pit, hidden food, even build some tunnels around the backyard for them to 'hunt' in while you guys are out. Bark collars fix the symptoms not the problem.

If they are very high energy and you cannot satisfy their needs (walk wise) get a second hand treatmill and put them on it every day especially before bed time. Tired dogs are quiet dogs!

Get crates and lock them in there at night. If they chose to go during the night then they can lie in it, tough. They will soon learn to hang on, no reason a dog of that age cannot if they have a final loo break before inside at night.

As for the food bowl, give them their meals, give them time to eat it and remove the bowl straight away. Each dog has its own bowl and thats the end of it. If one tries to get the others food they both lose their meals and wait for dinner time. A trick is when one stuffs up they BOTH get in trouble.

they need to learn basic manners and I think getting a professional trainer in a couple of times is the best thing for them. Two males will take over and bond to each other more then the owners, especially if the owner does not provide good leadership.

I think both your partner AND the two JRT's would benefit from a home consult. Perhaps someone from the 'outside' providing educational information on dogs; appropriate canine communication; and leadership might be better received?

I beg to differ with Nekhbet in relation to the use of citronella collars. What I don't like is the idea that the smell of the citronella (which is a part of the aversive to the barking behaviour) remains on the dogs' coats even after the barking has stopped, so the dogs continue to receive a punishment (albeit a lesser one as the smell evaporates slowly) even when they are behaving well. Citronella is toxic and although it does depend on whether the dogs have a sensitivity to it that it might affect them, but there are known cases of severe reactions and even death from its use. I don't have the statistics on it and believe it affects the health of only a small % of dogs in any big way, but it is worth considering.

If the dogs' temperaments allow (and with the better quality anti-bark collars that have facility to set the level to suit the dog, it's ok for many) I prefer to go to the anti-bark stim collar and skip the citronella spray collars. Alternatively, there is the JetCare spray collar system, which gives off a shot of cold compressed air. Success can be attained with these latter collars, although reportedly not to the same extent as the anti-bark stim collars.

I don't like tools being used to 'fix' a problem on their own though, without being sure that any underlying cause of problem has been identified where possible, and removed. Nekhbet has touched on a couple of the aspects that could (read : not necessarily the case) be the culprits underlying the barking behaviour, but this would need to be checked out more thoroughly to be certain.

I think it's great that you are interested in helping these dogs 're-learn' better habits to replace the unwanted ones, but would your partner be willing to co-operate and perhaps change a few of her 'ways' as well, so that training the JRT's into more congenial behaviour would be consistent and therefore less confusing for the dogs?

Dog behaviour peoples, are littermates of the same sex more troublesome? I thought I heard this before, but not sure.

Also, what are the possible explanations for urinating in the food bowl?

What about walking the dogs outside on a leash before bedtime? Lots of praise when they wee on the grass, etc.