Nutrigel

Howdy All.

I am sorry if this has been address, but couldn't find anything conclusive to answer my questions - so here goes!

I talked to my breeder yesterday and saw the litter-mate of my puppy. She has reccomended that I try Nutrigel to get my little papillon to EAT more and also help him to get all of those vitamins and minerals into him.

I guess what I really want to know (first up) is how do you suggest I feed it to him? It says (somewhere) they they readily want to eat it (does this mean you should be able to hand feed it to them) I offered to him, but he just sniffed and ran away - then I mixed it in with his food.... but I must say it didn't really provoke much interest.

ANY ADVICE on how to help my pap get up to weight would be great!

More often than not it can be tonsillitis, and even when they arent suffering a bout of it at that time they get in a routine of not eating as it hurts........

If it isnt tonsils (it is recurring) or any other medical condition..........you can try to increase appetite...........Periactin tablets over the counter at chemist, given 30 min before dinner will get him hungry, & hopefully break the "habit" of not eating..quater-a half tab should work, but it is a safe drug to use, but you will need to shove it down the throat :happydance:

Every non eater I have had come thorugh my doors have been tonsil sufferers though

I just called my vet and discussed the Periactin option with her. She was loath to give him the periactin. She was saying that I should just find something that he LIKES to eat - the problem is that I know what he likes RAW FOOD - but the problem with that it that he was on that but I don't think it is a "balanced" diet and i think it may have caused him to have anal gland problems.

So I am going to try him on the Billinghurst BARF (I was leaving this to last as I am not sure if he will eat it and it's not specifically for puppies) and also keep on with the Nutrigel. It is really hard to get it INTO him!!

I just called my vet and discussed the Periactin option with her. She was loath to give him the periactin. She was saying that I should just find something that he LIKES to eat - the problem is that I know what he likes RAW FOOD - but the problem with that it that he was on that but I don't think it is a "balanced" diet and i think it may have caused him to have anal gland problems.

So I am going to try him on the Billinghurst BARF (I was leaving this to last as I am not sure if he will eat it and it's not specifically for puppies) and also keep on with the Nutrigel. It is really hard to get it INTO him!!

If I were you, I would do more research about dog foods, raw diets, and 'balanced diets'. Also learn what it the difference between puppy and adult food.

I would not add anything like Nutigel or Pericathin but solve the diet problems first.

A healthy puppy will not starve itself, so pick a diet and stick to it (without adding anything extra to it, like Nutrigel or whatever).

One thing I am sure about is that adding raw chicken wings will definitely help with his anal glands problems.

MY SUPER TINY tenterfield who is now ten , was born dead she was down for a while b4 i got her back she suffered some brain damage and just wouldnt eat had almost no appetite and just wasnt concerned about food...The first two years of her life i had to hand feed her nutrigel its the only reason she is alive today....Tne years on she acts like a 3 year old and will probably live to a very ripe old age...

I used to get it from my vet and i would smear it onto her tongue after about 12 months she started licking it off biscuits and then gradually she started to eat the biscuit with the gel etc etc...

Good luck.

Nutrigel is an appetite stimulant and almost a complete food in a paste form. Its balanced vitamins, minerals and high calorie to keep the littlies alive. I hand fed a clients dying lorikeet once for 3 days on this stuff and he bounced back like a pinball, my own blue tongue was on it for over 6 months with anorexia. Sometimes its the only thing that keeps animals healthy and alive.

vet clinics and pet supplies sell it

Papi Searcher-

earlier in one of your posts, you said that your boy loved raw food- but you didn't want to feed it, as it wasn't a complete diet.....

Now, you have a pup who you have to force-feed a vitamin/protein supplement, and who you are buying all sorts of things for :laugh:

Why not feed him a variety of meats, bones suitable for his size, and some fish, eggs,yogurt in small amounts- plus a side serve of some vegetable matter?

Dogs are designed to get everything they need from a meat-based diet, so don't worry...

here is a sample of what can be done...

24th Jul 2008 - 01:32 PM

Post #7

Slave to two pugs & numerous foster pugs

Member No.: 22,218

Here's my feeding plan for my pugs. I do offal once a week and just chop it up and add it to their other food. They get 2 to 3 tablespoons of the veggie slops with their meat/bones. I actually cut the chicken necks up so that the pugs don't swallow them whole and choke. They still crunch the pieces a few times before they swallow them.

BARF FEEDING ROUTINE

MONDAY -Chicken Necks & Slops

TUESDAY- Fish & Slops

WEDNESDAY - Chicken Necks & Yoghurt & Slops

THURSDAY- Kangaroo & Slops

FRIDAY- Chicken Necks & Offal & Slops

SATURDAY - Lamb bones & Slops

SUNDAY- Beef or Lamb or Kangaroo & Slops

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin (seeds removed)

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- bunch of silverbeet

- turnip

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

+Quote Post

puggy_puggy

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

post 24th Jul 2008 - 01:35 PM

Post #8

Slave to two pugs & numerous foster pugs

Member No.: 22,218

QUOTE (PandaGirl @ 24th Jul 2008 - 12:56 PM) *

She's getting her necks frozen and it's just not slowing her down anymore, she's been getting beef soup bones daily. My biggest problem is getting my parents to respect my feeding decisions...

Get some chicken carcusses. Also beef bones are very hard. Does she manage to consume the whole bone or just rip the meat and fat off them? Dogs need to actually eat the whole of the bone not just the meat off it for them to have a balanced ratio of calcium and meat. If she is not eating the whole bone then I would change her to lamb

earlier in one of your posts, you said that your boy loved raw food- but you didn't want to feed it, as it wasn't a complete diet.....

Now, you have a pup who you have to force-feed a vitamin/protein supplement, and who you are buying all sorts of things for :laugh:

Why not feed him a variety of meats, bones suitable for his size, and some fish, eggs,yogurt in small amounts- plus a side serve of some vegetable matter?

Dogs are designed to get everything they need from a meat-based diet, so don't worry...

Hi Persephone, thanks for this! This is great!! I realise the benefits of a proper BARF diet, but the raw meat (lambs hearts) was not a balanced meal. The things is I want to do the right thing for him as he is so small and is a PUPPY, so am worries that a BARF diet might be good for a fully grown dog, but can't find anything about the benefits for a TINY breed.

In related news, I got some Royal Canin for TINY breeds, which he has decided (for today) is YUM! But I will watch this space. Also managed to mixed the nutrigel with warm water and get him to drink some from a syringe - so very happy mum.

When is an adult I want him to eat the Billinghurst BARF patties and / or even better the recipe you posted ... Thanks again!!

royal canin has a high palatability. what would happen, of he starts being fussy on that too, to mix some minced heart in with the dry and feed a tinyer meal. He will be hungry and may even beg for more :laugh:

Yeah did this - he picks out the heart and leave the kibble.... and then doesn't eat (much) until the next day!