Cant Stop Scratching.........

Hi

My lovely 3 year old Border Collie male, has a terrible itch.

I usually feed him a tin of sardines, three times a week and he has the most beautiful coat, but......... if I stop the sardines, he starts to itch, constantly scratching and even resorting to using the fence palings !!!!!

Any suggestions before we go to the vets :rofl:

Many Thanks

post-17978-1218602461_thumb.jpg

Just keep feeding sardines! :rofl: They are an excellent source of omega oil and these oils aid people and even dogs with skin conditions that make the skin dry, flaky and itchy.

If you are after what the cause could be to this - there are several as there are in the human world - dermatitis atopic or inhalent, dandruff etc, etc. The main thing is that the sardines help you gorgeous BC so just keep feeding him them 3 times a wk!

What else are you feeding him?

I have found that most dogs with generalised itching are fed commercial kibble or tinned food.

Commercial foods are filled with crap. Switch to a natural and raw diet and see if things change.

Hi

He is fed Coprice kibble and usually chicken necks/ backs etc

Thanks for the comment regarding sardines, I was hoping they wouldnt do him any harm

I have on the odd occasion, giving him some Pal kibble or super coat, but we have suffered for it afterwards ( itching) so I find Coprice helps keep things a bay

I have found that most dogs with generalised itching are fed commercial kibble or tinned food.

Commercial foods are filled with crap. Switch to a natural and raw diet and see if things change.

I have the same problem but I feed barf and still get the scratching. I've got her on an omega oil blend and find that the itching only really becomes a problem when she's not getting some extra oil in her diet. Just wanted to comment because it may not neccessarily be the kibble that causes it and if the sardines stop it then keep feeding the sardines!

Stop feeding the kibble for 4-8 weeks to test if it is this. Even the 'best' brands contain preservatives and wheat products of some description.

I have always said that kibble is the worst you can give and wont feed my dogs that. I would go with Puggles suggestion.

Personally i think you will find the diet simply lacks essential fatty acids & you need to add a some more needed foods.

Every diet is different & what works for one doesnt for another BARF isnt for every dog either.

• 6 years later...

Hi

My lovely 3 year old Border Collie male, has a terrible itch.

I usually feed him a tin of sardines, three times a week and he has the most beautiful coat, but......... if I stop the sardines, he starts to itch, constantly scratching and even resorting to using the fence palings !!!!!

Any suggestions before we go to the vets :rofl:

Many Thanks

My boy suffers from skin allergies from food & the enviornment, Vet said to bath him in "Malaseb" medicated shampoo this is excellent as soon as they start to scratch which is about 5-7 days now spring is here, this stops his itch straight away & releaves his itch, since spring has come he is more itchy, vet said seasonal allergies but I did an elimination diet & found he cant eat potates, sweet potatoes, peas, wheat anything with starch he starts to scratch real bad he also gets diarrhea from potatoes..Malasab shampoo is sold at Pet Barn & most pet stores, it kills the bacteria but doesnt strip the good oils like some shampoos do, dont put him on any drugs, some vets will put the dog on a steriod but as soon as you stop the steriod ur back to where you are now scratching again, Holistic Select Anchovy,Sardines & Salmon kibble is suppost to be real good a few ladies at the dog park feed the Holistic Select & their dogs have stopped their scatching & rubbing & look real shiney...

Hi

He is fed Coprice kibble and usually chicken necks/ backs etc

Thanks for the comment regarding sardines, I was hoping they wouldnt do him any harm

I have on the odd occasion, giving him some Pal kibble or super coat, but we have suffered for it afterwards ( itching) so I find Coprice helps keep things a bay

Coprice is a real low grade kibble,all supermaket kibbles are also low grade kibbles got to Pet Barn & have a look in the Holistic Section.....read the ingredients in the Coprice that's why ur boy is itching its full of crap wheat corn fillers it may cost more for a Holistic kibble but you'll save on vet bills in the end & have a happy healthy dog on the inside & outside...