Plaqueoff.

pebbles

As the heading says - PlaqueOff apparently good for keeping dogs teeth clean, has anyone used it?

I have trouble with a couple of mine with bones, they just break bits off and swallow them, chicken necks go down in one piece, chicken wings scare me with all the pointy bits 'cause they still swallow them and bigger bones get broken and swallowed as soon as the pieces fit in the mouth. Apparently this is just sprinkled on food, supposedly natural ingredients so could be a life saver.

chicken carcasses? They have to work for that one :p

how about the t/d or just brush their teeth a couple of times a week. Eating food from a bowl doesnt really exercise the incisors and canine teeth a lot especially in smaller dogs, the brush is the best way to get around that problem.

never heard of PlaqueOff, I hear Aquadent is alright

One of mine is a bit the same with bones. I use dentastix and find that helps. I also just gets a toothbrush and brush his teeth a bit form time to time. I can't believe a powder you sprinkle on would really work. If it did why don't we use the same thing for our teeth. I imagine there are broadly two ways of getting plaque off. 1. mechanical - ie by brushing or chewing something. 2. by chemical eg. antibacterial mouthwashes (except a dog would just swallow this which wouldn't be good.

Ok so I'm being difficult (or my dogs are lol) - any type of bone or tooth aid, ie dentastix etc, just get swallowed as soon as there's a piece which will fit in the mouth. I've held bones/necks while they have a chew but they soon lose interest when they can't have them themselves and they just seem to pull at the meat with the front teeth not actually chew on the bone. Toothbrushes:- these are Min Pins, small mouths, it's nearly impossible to get to the side and back teeth to really do any good. My old girl has had hers cleaned at the Vets a few times but at 14+ years I don't want to put her through that. Her teeth are still good but tartar is building on the molars and needs to come off so I thought this stuff might be a good alternative. I'll do a bit more searching about it and maybe give it a try.

pebbles- give your dogs meals which they will have to chew harder!

If you give them a lambshank with meat attached, they will use that sideways chewing motion to remove the meat... helping to clean their teeth.

Large chunks (at least 15cm long) chunks of roo tail with meat left intact will be an excellent toothbrush- and there are no splintery bits, as such.

You can remove the bare bones once meat is removed- then there is not a problem :rolleyes:

AFAIK- it is that sideways chewing and chewing to remove meat/sinew which rubs against the sides of the molars- hence cleaning them...- not the 'crunching' of bits of bone :laugh:

Edited by persephone

nekhbet - shows how old I am - didn't know there were small toothbrushes, never saw any when my kids were small so I'll have a look next time I'm shopping.

persephone, I'll see if I can get some roo tail bones, tried the large type bones and the two 'swallowers' weren't interested when they couldn't get lumps off maybe the roo might tempt them.

Unlike other methods of plaque control ProDen PlaqueOff™ is swallowed and works systemically through the blood stream. It is thought to exert an effect through the saliva by affecting the ability of plaque to "stick" to oral surfaces, and by softening hard tartar (calculus) deposits. Improvements are normally seen within 5 - 8 weeks.

well this is the human one in capsule form I assume the animal one is the same ...

sticking to carcasses :) not a yellow tooth in the house

I have used a variation of plaque off for a while now and it does work for my dogs, the variation I use is http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPr...mp;idproduct=76 but due to legal matters they are not allowed to make any claims that this product works for cleaning the teeth (plaque off have a world patent on the claim).

I have found this works better then plaque off, maybe due to it's slightly more gritty texture??

It cannot be used on bitches who maybe pregnant.