Remote Coller

My mates having problems with his dogs recall. When he was younger he was ok but hes 18 months now and wont come back when he sees another dog he chases after it and was starting to annoy other owners and frighten there dogs so theyve stopped letting him off lead. Now theyve stopped letting him run at the park hes started digging in the yard and hes real hypo and restless..They go to obedience but the instructors there told him to use a long line and call him back with treats and its not working when theres other dogs around.But for the recall hes a good dog so I was telling them about the remote training Ive read about on here and hes intrested.

I told him hed need a trainer to show him how to use it and hes ok with that but when we looked at the collers theyre $750 and he carnt afford that sort of money with three kids and a mortgage and only one wage.

So can anyone tell me if you can hire them? And how long does it take to train the dog is it an ongoing thing like you must buy your own coller and use it all the time or what? If you have to buy your own can you get cheaper ones than $750.

Sorry for the stupid questions but Im not well up on this sorta training.The dogs a german shepherd malamutex and they really want to get this sorted

My advice, you need to spend

1. The time

2. The money

To get the result

He can use it to train the dog to do anything. Sounds like some behaviour issues too. Does he know stuff about pack order etc? I dont think there is any point unless he is the top dog.

Personally, I would want to proof with a long line before springing that kind of money for a remote collar, it's a lot of money to spend! My boy, Roggie is now getting really reliable on long line & our next step will be remote training.

Whether he's working with a remote collar or a long line, he should start in a low distraction environment & proof the recall there before moving on to small distractions & increasing the distractions as the dogs gets a better recall.

I agree with Rugerfly, he might need to work on his leadership with doggy, & has to be super interesting to the dogs - more interesting for doggy than getting to go sniff other dog bottoms!

I know that there has to be a period of time where the dog carries around the collar (or a dummy collar) & some trainers can lend out their dummy boxes, but I'm not too sure about hiring the remote collars themselves. Personally (again! :rolleyes: ) I'd buy one myself considering I'd be using it as a training tool for a long time rather than just a short term hire.

Thanks for the replies he carnt afford a coller so hes going to do some more work on the long line.

Hi paganman, with the dog being x bred the malamute part of him is a nomad and at any opportunity will keep on running and not look back. I found a manufacturer from the US who is selling it for US$239.00 and I think postage is free for purchasers over 150.00.

Here's a link if you wanted to find out more.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/g3.html

I may have to get one too if she still runs off. Hope it helps.

Cheers ;)

If you purchase from overseas it is very likely that the collar will be ceased by customs. You are only permitted to import the collars if you have a permit to do so.

You should also be aware of your own State laws for the use of the collars.

Edited by Erny

If you purchase from overseas it is very likely that the collar will be ceased by customs. You are only permitted to import the collars if you have a permit to do so.

You should also be aware of your own State laws for the use of the collars.

Great information Erny thank you. ;)