Leg Lifting - Submission

post-3337-1217591088_thumb.jpg

I dont think that this lifted leg shows submission

That's exactly how my boy stands when he thinks he's spotted Leila in the park.

What was your girl looking at when the photo was taken?

There was a fence, behind the fence there was a very dense bush, behind the bush there were some teenagers with sticks hitting the bush and each other, screaming.

I would suggest "uncertainty" was involved.

Yeah, personally I think it would be more correct to refer to lifting a leg or paw as a distance reducing signal or something similar in some cases rather than a 'sign of submission.'

Haven, to be technically correct, leg/paw lifting (alone) can be an appeasing signal. Coupled with other behaviours/signals it indicates submission (no threat) and to appease the threat. As mentioned, it must be read in conjuction with signal clusters - not on it's own!

Off Topic:

Have you had bubs yet???

Monelite, I don't think it was this type of leg lifting the OP was referring to. Your dog looks like he/she is ready for some sort of action....standing position with upright body as well as being slightly forward, ears forward, intense facial expression..these are the clusters you must be reading IN CONJUCTION WITH the leg lift.

Edited by Kelpie-i

Haven ... Off Topic:

Have you had bubs yet???

Edited .... 'cause I see by Haven's babyometer that I was wrong!

Now - that doesn't happen often ...... :( (not)

Thinking of you Haven! Aunty Erny is looking forward to news of your baby's arrival!

Edited by Erny

Yeah, personally I think it would be more correct to refer to lifting a leg or paw as a distance reducing signal or something similar in some cases rather than a 'sign of submission.'

Haven, to be technically correct, leg/paw lifting (alone) can be an appeasing signal. Coupled with other behaviours/signals it indicates submission (no threat) and to appease the threat. As mentioned, it must be read in conjuction with signal clusters - not on it's own!

Off Topic:

Have you had bubs yet???

Monelite, I don't think it was this type of leg lifting the OP was referring to. Your dog looks like he/she is ready for some sort of action....standing position with upright body as well as being slightly forward, ears forward, intense facial expression..these are the clusters you must be reading IN CONJUCTION WITH the leg lift.

No bubs yet, soon I really really hope, I'm not too comfortable lately :(

I realise how leg lifting can indicate various levels of appeasement and submission, however it is something that is used on situations where this is not what I believe is being communicated. Perhaps this is because I'm refering to the kind of leg or paw lifting that Monelite has posted, where the dog is simply showing interest in or excitement about something that is out of reach, say another dog at a distance, that it wants to interact with.

No bubs yet, soon I really really hope, I'm not too comfortable lately

Like squeezing a watermelon through an exhaust pipe.....piece of cake Haven!! :(

Seriously, I know exactly how you feel. Put your feet up and relax as much as you can.

Take a look at this video - great protection work BTW, but check out the leg lift at 3:50, would you apply the above statement to this situation?