Pro Plan Selects

mmmmm still have rice then corn gluten as the second and third ingredients

will stick with EP holistic (as supplement to raw)

Eaglepack First Ingredients (Lamb)

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal.

Pro Plan First Ingredients (Turkey)

Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal.

Seem similar, corn is the only real difference and Pro Plan has 2 meats in the first few ingredients.

Its still a fine line - presumedly they are leaving the ground corn out for nutritional reasons? Does the corn by-product they are using as a main ingredient no longer have the nutritional property that was undesirable?

On the whole it looks pretty good (the analysis levels are good and the inclusion of omega EFAs and Glucosamine etc are great).

I'm not too sure about some the ingredients tho:

animal fat (what sort of animals?)

brewers rice (isn't that the lowest grade "waste" rice?)

natural flavour (what is that?)

fish meal (what sort of "fish"? shark?)

I still think Eagle Pack Holistic Select is better.

• 3 weeks later...
Eaglepack First Ingredients (Lamb)

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal.

Pro Plan First Ingredients (Turkey)

Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal.

Seem similar, corn is the only real difference and Pro Plan has 2 meats in the first few ingredients.

The main/majority ingredients are the ones listed up to the first oil/fat. So, roughly, and impossible to be exact without having the exact numbers which they never release (with the exception of Orijen and Ziwipeak)..

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice = 33%-33%-33% of the main (not total) ingredients.

Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, oat meal = 16%-16%-16%-16%-16%-16%

So they're both similar. One third meat/meal and two thirds cereal/filler comprise the main ingredients making up most of the total.

I've had my two on this for 8 weeks since Nutro is no longer available in Australia and they are doing very well on it. Their weight is fabulous, their coats blindingly shiny and they have loads of energy. I'm very happy with it. It is the base of their diet which is also supplemeted with sardines, eggs, yoghurt, raw meaty bones, chicken frames, and fish.

I buy it from Petbarn.

ETA - pics of healthy, shiny fit dogs after two months on Pro Plan Selects

360.jpg

Excuse the dodgy room, we were painting, but it shows their shiny healthy coats (they were flat out helping - NOT)

314.jpg

Edited by benny123

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a proplan rep yesterday and asked a couple of questions about this food that I thought I would pass on.

The animal fat is from what ever animal is used in the food. So for the Turkey one it is turkey fat. The fish one it is fish oil etc.

With the corn, test have been done and shown that there are only certain bits of the corn that cause allergy issues. Those bits are removed and the corn gluten is left. The corn gluten shouldn't cause problems.

A friend gave me a bag of Pro Plan Selects Lamb and Oatmeal, as her dogs can't eat lamb and she'd been given the food as a breeder trial. My dogs absolutely loved it so I have since bought a 15kg bag. Only problem is I couldn't buy it locally (Latrobe Valley) and had to go to Dandenong to get it. I'd be quite happy to base their diet on thsi food and supplement it with raw chicken and lamb, eggs, veges, sardines etc.

Pro Plan selects all have salt (sodium chloride) in the food. Brewers rice is a processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice thus reducing the quality. Corn gluten meal is a byproduct of the corn processing industry and its used as an animal food bulker - again cheap. Its also used as a herbicide believe it or not.

Blueberry and sweet potato pomace is again a byproduct but sweetens the food slightly and adds little nutrition.

Dont forget barley is a relative of wheat - watch allergic dogs.

For the price you are paying, you still get a lot of bulk fillers. Still a cheap food dressed up. Go the Eagle Pack if you want to fork out the money at least it uses whole ingredients and not industry by products

I am also feeding one of my younger Saluki's on Pro Plan Selects to try it out. He doesnt normally finish off all his food, but he is now on Pro Plan Selects

Ian

www.saluki.com.au

I have feed pp salmon for many years.

I started to feed my young pup on eagle pack but it wasnt clicking.

I won nearly 40kg of selects at a show so my boys are trialling it & thriving(turkey