Clicker Training

:) PAX - I had just had a session with Kenzie and we had just finished cos I was out of treats and then she decides to pick up the set of keys that was on the floor by the dog door - OOOPS :confused: .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wondering about how they learn that the clicker means food you generally start by clicking and giving the food reward at exactly the same time, without asking for any behaviours. It is classical conditioning and generally takes only about 10 goes at it. The clicker is also known as a bridge, so you can 'bridge' between the behaviour and the food reward. If you see or ask for a behaviour you want, but can't get the food out of your pouch fast enough it is helpful to click so the animal knows they have done the right thing at that instant, then give the food.

Thanks to all those who replied. I've learnt heaps.

We went to puppy school for the first time last night and the trainer taught us to use a short, sharp word (like "yes") as the marker. I'm now teaching yes = treat. But I think I will train with a clicker as well. Which brings me to my next question. Where do you buy clickers?

Actually, I have another question. This may sound nutty, but I was just doing some training with Martha, and thought, while I'm waiting to buy a clicker, I may as well just click my tongue.

As long as I don't mind looking like an idiot, can I just click my tongue instead of using a clicker?

So, I bought a clicker from the pet shop about half an hour ago. We've just been practicing — I've just been clicking and treating, so she learns to make the connection. I'm pretty sure she's already got it.

Thanks to everyone who advised me. For some reason I thought it was a huge deal, but I can see it's just going to be a great aid.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of this information!

My last puppy was a lab - and we didn't know about puppy schools then - even though we had gone to two KCC puppy plays at the show grounds. Ended up waiting until sasha was 6 mths before starting basic obedience training. I REALLY like the sound of clicker trainig ( no pun intended LOL). Once we get our golden R pup in six weeks - I will be trying it out for sure.

Lisa

I think all owners must be interested in training their pups or adult dogs as they learn very fast what they're allowed to do and what not. She may be an angel now but take her outside or around another dog and she may not be listening to you and obeying your commands. Pups require training every week if possible daily to reassert the commands and imprint into their brains.

I was like you boasting about my 9 week old so obedient and learnt so many commands and even tricks but once she was out of her regular environment and setting she went nuts, playing with people, jumping, running non stop and chasing other dogs.

Now in obedience training she still requires more work, maybe for many years. Alot of the people at the clubs have been training their dogs for 4 years.

Another thing with pup sitting on your lap wanting your food is she may acquire a taste for human food and not eat dog food at all and become a picky eater telling you what she wants not what you want to give her.

But good luck I'm using the clicker too I got it from obedience school for only $5.50 but there were cheaper ones from $2.00.

;)

Thank you Tess. I actually did think there must be something more to it than that, because from what I've read some trainers are very keen on it.

Some people speak of the 'clicker' as if it is a whole system of training unto itself. It's not - as explained it is simply a 'sound' that is used to mark wanted behaviour and to signal that a reward is to follow. The word (eg) "yes" can be used instead of the clicker, however the clicker does tend to improve the timing of this 'marker' for some people, so in that it can be very good.

It is a personal thing IMO. I prefer a verbal marker. I do find dogs get to learn the subtle differences in the sounds the verbal marker can be uttered in and don't find it to slow training down any. I find the verbal marker easier as it does not tie up one hand. However some people become very adapt at using the clicker and don't find this to be an issue. That the clicker (depending on the type you get) has a 'set' sound, it can be a bit confusing for the dog if it is used in group situations (ie where other people are using same/similar sounding clicker).

Does it take the dog long to learn what the click means?

No - they pick up on it very, very quickly. In my experience, usually within the first session, but progressively more definite as training progresses.

I imagine if I tried it now Martha would find it distracting. I imagine consistency is the key...

Yes - as is required for any training.

— does that mean if you start with the clicker you're really committing to training with the clicker in the long term?

If you're asking whether once you start with the clicker you need to always and forever use it, then no. You can introduce a marker "word" to mean the same thing, although I would not do so if you are in the middle of the 'teaching' phase of an exercise.

Just thought I would also add that I find the clicker to be very good for dogs that are sensitive to tone of voice like anxious dogs. I had a bitch once that would become excited by any words spoken, no matter the tone (still attention) and would become a wriggling mess. I switched to a clicker with her and she picked it up much faster. I think the clicker can be useful to remove verbal communication in a dog that has a certain association towards it.

But in the end I think we all try out new things all the time and eventually something works for us and the dog.

Now in obedience training she still requires more work, maybe for many years. Alot of the people at the clubs have been training their dogs for 4 years.
One of the most important concepts I think for a trainer to keep in mind is that learning (dogs', ours', everybody's) is in a constant state of flux. If a particular learned behaviour's reinforcement history isn't strong (as in many reinforcements, or very good reinforcements) and recent, then there's a pretty good chance that it won't happen when it is asked for. So the training is never finished - it's always a work in progress. Which I think is lovely - it makes me very happy that my old and not very well dog continues to delight me with his ability and love of learning. Edited by WalandLibby

One of the most important concepts I think for a trainer to keep in mind is that learning (dogs', ours', everybody's) is in a constant state of flux. If a particular learned behaviour's reinforcement history isn't strong (as in many reinforcements, or very good reinforcements) and recent, then there's a pretty good chance that it won't happen when it is asked for. So the training is never finished - it's always a work in progress. Which I think is lovely - it makes me very happy that my old and not very well dog continues to delight me with his ability and love of learning.

Hi WalandLibby, it's great going to obedience school and seeing dogs that have been going for so many years and still enjoying themselves and learning new tricks. Does your doggy know many cool tricks? :rolleyes:

it's great going to obedience school and seeing dogs that have been going for so many years and still enjoying themselves and learning new tricks. Does your doggy know many cool tricks?
There are a few on our Youtube page - shutting doors, taking socks off, putting things in things (see my sig). He can do others that I haven't got around to videoing yet - our faves are 'kiss' and him unzipping my jacket, and pulling the sleeves to help me take it off. I originally heard of the behaviour as an assistance dog task, but Wal is far too intense when he does it to be much help to someone who wasn't pretty active. He'd probably injure rather than help them lol. We're working on untying shoe laces, roll over, flat on his side, crawl. And I'm thinking about body targeting too. I've tried that in the past and not had much success but now I think I know how to do it.

But I also continue to reward the thing's we've been doing for years - come when called, handling, sit, drop etc.

Edited by WalandLibby