Veterinary Behaviourist In Melbourne?

Hi,

We are having separation anxiety problems with our dog and are looking for a good Veterinary Behaviourist or recommended trainer with this kind of experience. Preferably in the South East suburbs of Melbourne. So if anyone knows a good contact please let us know. Because so far we haven't been able to turn anything up except for Barkbusters. I see lots of US websites talking about Veterinary Behaviourists but can't find anything about them in Australia.

Thanks.

Edited by afromaiko

There are a number of veterinary behaviourists in Melbourne- Dr Debbie Calnon and Robert Holmes to name a few- both of these people are very well respected and recommended by many.

You also have the option of qualified behavioural trainers who often have similar levels of experience with such behaviour problems but without the veterinary background.

It means that they cannot dispense medication if required (but i liase with the clients existing vet if medication is required) but i find that they often have more flexibility in terms of training techniques/ behavioural modification without the drugs- which should be a last (short term) resort if needed.

We do consult in the south eastern suburbs and see dogs with anxiety on a regular basis.

Edited by Cosmolo

I have use Debbie Calnon, and can only speak highly of her. My mini poodle (from what seemed out of nowhere) started stalling during heeling.

She seemed really patchy in her performances.

I tried several different training options that just seemed to make her worse.

What Debbie was able to see was that my mini seemed to be afraid of something outside of me, and would scan the environment looking for something and stall. It was suggested that it could be a noise phobia, and after connecting the dots with the patchy performances (they were in noisy places) we were able to de sensitise her very succesfully.. Becuase she was less attached to the training process, she was able to focus on the cause rather than leap to the way to get the result

Some people are a bit reluctant to pay the fee. I thought it was extraordinairy good value for money. I got my dog back and we are having fun together again.

Some of these problems take a lot of time and effort to resolve. I withdrew my dog form all obedience competition in Mid February, and I am just thinking that we might compete soon in obedience.She has competed succesfully in tracking since. It took a while to work out what noise it was that she feared. (Road noise).

Personally, I think there is a huge difference between the depth that a Vet Behaviourist studies at, and many non vet behaviourists. Also, in our case, some medication is required if my dog gets startled during the de sensitation process. I Also found her training suggestions thorough and sound.

Debbie Calnon would be an excellent person to see, I have been to a few of her seminars and I know she is very well respected in the industry. She travels to the South East.

I have even consulted with her in the past about my youngest dog when he was displaying some fearful behaviours that were worrying me, she was great for bouncing ideas off and for me to check that I was 'covering all bases'.

She gives a very thorough report (usually 4 pages+) and has very good follow up procedures.

Dr Debbie Calnon - Victoria, Western Australia & Tasmania

BSc BVMS MACVSc (Animal Behaviour),

Delta Canine Good Citizen Accredited Instructor

Behaviour Counselling Service

PO Box 130

OAKLEIGH SOUTH VIC 3167

Phone: (03) 9807 2751

Mobile: 0412 178 032

Email: [email protected]

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

afromaiko, please do take the recommendations on board, but please don't rule out a good behavioural trainer as they are, in many cases, just as good as a Vet behaviourist but not as expensive.

Some good ones who service your area are (and in no particular order):

Judi Buchan from ProK9 and Tamara from Underdog Training.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to take!

We've tried a few exercises that were recommended to us such as:

- mixing up our leaving home preparation pattern

- ignoring the dog for about 15 -30 mins before leaving and then again after returning, not making any eye contact

- pretending to leave and then returning when the dog becomes quiet for a moment

- putting the dog outside, disregarding any whining and only letting back in once quiet

These have seemed to only work minimally and caused the dog to be quiet for a period of up to 30 minutes after we have left, at which time she starts the usual noise. It has not helped her complaints about being separated from us when we are at home nor stopped her following us around like a shadow wherever we move to in the house or garden.

When we return home her barking is noticably panicked and she will jump at as for attention and sometimes attempt to snap at our clothes or hands. It's like she's telling us off for leaving her. We've found that totally ignoring her causes her to settle down really fast but it needs to be for 15 minutes at least and then after that no excited pats or greetings, just a casually pat or so until after 30 minutes have passed otherwise she may get barky again.

At 10 months old we are also not sure of how much of this is bratty type behaviour.

afromaiko,

At 10 months old we are also not sure of how much of this is bratty type behaviour.

Some of it is and some of it isn't. Anxiety is a true feeling that dogs feel, however what leads to this anxiety is usually a dog who has been given top spot in the home. These dogs are usually somewhat demanding of attention, even sometimes pushy. The fact that they suffer the anxiety when you leave is due to the fact that they are unable to control your movements ie. when you come and go.

The exercises you are implementing are correct and along the lines of what most behaviourists (vet or trainer based) will give you, along with other programs and tips.

Here is an interesting link to an article written by a very well respected behavioural trainer in the the States, Bill Campbell. Read the entire article, paying particular attention to the parts titled: "Applying Positive Imagery to solve 'separation anxiety'" and "The Program". This article will give you a very clear understanding of what is going on in your dog's mind.

Here is the link

ETA, This is a general basic program only and does not take the place of a private consult with a behavioural expert who can tailor a program specific to your dog's problems and requirements.

Edited by Kelpie-i