Teleconverter

Ripley

I have a Canon L 1.4 teleconverter that I bought for my 70-200 L f/4 lens, which I think will give me a 280mm lens. Haven't taken a shot with it affixed yet but am packing it for our big trip in 7 weeks. You lose a stop or so of light with it on, but does the camera sense that stop of light and set the exposure accordingy or do I have to dial in some type of exposure compensation myself manually? I have a Canon 30D camera.

Sorry, that sounds a bit confusing - will my camera's sensor detect the loss of light with the teleconverted affixed to it and rectify it or do I have to do it manually?

I have a Canon L 1.4 teleconverter that I bought for my 70-200 L f/4 lens, which I think will give me a 280mm lens. Haven't taken a shot with it affixed yet but am packing it for our big trip in 7 weeks. You lose a stop or so of light with it on, but does the camera sense that stop of light and set the exposure accordingy or do I have to dial in some type of exposure compensation myself manually? I have a Canon 30D camera.

Sorry, that sounds a bit confusing - will my camera's sensor detect the loss of light with the teleconverted affixed to it and rectify it or do I have to do it manually?

Yes, the camera works it out. You'll also notice that when wide open, your f/4 lens will now display as f/5.6 if the teleconverter is attached.

Edited by Luke W

But I get sea sick, chezzyr. Which is why on boat dives they have to be short trips offshore. You have reminded me now, don't forget to pack sea sickness wrist bands!

That gannett colony off the coast of Edinburgh is looking pretty good for some practise though

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered I had my teleconverter today. I had a play with it ages ago when I got it, but kind of wrote it off as not really worthwhile.

I got it out today & popped my 50mm fixed lense on to see if they would work together. They did! I may even start to use it a bit now.

2721919832_520112cabf.jpg

Edited by Vickie

Lovely doggie shot there.

Get out there and try it out. You should have gone on the pelagic out of Sydney.

They saw numerous Albatrosses!! Sounds like they had close views also.

Well looks like I will use it before the trip as I've booked in for a pelagic sea bird watching trip in a few weeks. Want to photograph the beautiful wandering albatross while there are still some around, poor bloody things have had their breeding no.s reduced dangerously on Macquarie Island :rofl: They come in so close though that the boat captain says to pack your standard lens as well.