Leadout To Sit/drop Stay

Just a quick question about the sit and drop stays

i've heard that interstate judges (I'm in Vic) will ask you to do a lead out or short walk up into the stays, and also that they do not allow any touching of the dog in the ring, including the time in bewteen exercises.

Just wanted to get peoples experinces on it, I'm a little nervous as I know I will inadvetantly touch my dog in between an exercise!

Just a quick question about the sit and drop stays

i've heard that interstate judges (I'm in Vic) will ask you to do a lead out or short walk up into the stays, and also that they do not allow any touching of the dog in the ring, including the time in bewteen exercises.

Just wanted to get peoples experinces on it, I'm a little nervous as I know I will inadvetantly touch my dog in between an exercise!

Who are the judges?

Agree what judges and from what state - certainly not common practice here in SA (and in WA from the few trials I entered there). By touching here your not suppose to fiddle with there collar but you may pat, play etc. Not sure what you mean by a lead out before the stay. The procedure here seems to be you take up position behind the peg somewhere and then yep you heel your dog forward but I am pretty relaxed about it and its not formal as in if your dog doesn't sit or drop you are able to ask them a few times. Judging only commences after the judge says leave your dog.

In Vic we walk up to the peg still on lead and when in position at the peg we hand our lead to the steward and do the stay from there

Where do you hand the lead to the judge, at the position somewhere behind the peg, or once you have sit/dropped at the peg?

(Keep in mind I'm doing CCD so fairly new to it all too!)

ETA, doesnt worry me if we do take up position from behind the peg and walk up to it, just dont want to do the wrong thing! Hopefully I'm not first in line heheh

Edited by shoemonster

Ah cool, thanks Ness

Be interesting to see if there are any differences between the states, the rules are supposed to be aus wide though arent they? (with the exception of sweepstates?)

I'm really looking forward to state & nationals, and seeing all the interstate dogs, and the top dogs

Edited by shoemonster

In NSW (at most trials) in CD and higher you sit/wait with your dog approx one metre behind the stay marker (usually at the ring rope) and remove your lead and wait for the steward to take it. When the Judge asks they will say 'take up position' for the 'whatever stay' and you move to the marker with your right foot next to the stay marker and have your dog drop or sit. At no time after the lead removal are you allowed to touch your dogs collar or manually position your dog until it is exercise finished.

In CCD you are given a lot more slack. :)

Edited by PAX

Ah yeah thats it, wonder why its become different for NSW? Once the judge says exercise over can you touch them then? Or not at all til you are given the lead back? I know we cant touch the collar in the ring no matter what, but I would normally be patting my dog in between exercise over and getting the lead back

I will not put my dog in a sit or down stay until after the leads have been taken and the judge has given his talk - otherwise a minute sit stays turns into a 5 minute sit stay. :)

Most judges will not let you manhandle your dog - however they will allow you to play hand touches which usually makes the dog sit up straight. You can definitely play and touch your dog between the sit and down stay, or as soon as the judge says exercise finished.

In NSW (at most trials) in CD and higher you sit/wait with your dog approx one metre behind the stay marker (usually at the ring rope) and remove your lead and wait for the steward to take it. When the Judge asks they will say 'take up position' for the 'whatever stay' and you move to the marker with your right foot next to the stay marker and have your dog drop or sit. At no time after the lead removal are you allowed to touch your dogs collar or manually position your dog until it is exercise finished.

In CCD you are given a lot more slack. :)

Qld is the same as PAX has described, as for touching your dog between exercises (or during them for that matter), you are allowed to pat your dog etc between exercises but are at no time in the ring allowed to restrain your dog with the collar or manually put the dog into a position.

There are even a few judges up here who ask that you don't break from your position until after the judge has been along the line & given you their mark. Obviously you are allowed to pat your dog etc, but they ask that you wait until they've finished before moving your dog.

Usually the judge will give you a run down of what he/she wants you to do in relation to stays once you get in the ring anyway, especially in the lower classes, they will make sure you understand the instructions before proceeding. Don't know what its like in Vic & other states, but alot of judges up here want all the handlers to leave together & return together ie in a straight line across the ring & if you are too far in front of the other handlers you'll have points deducted. The handlers need to adapt their pace to the slowest handler ie if you have someone elderly or physically handicapped in some way all the handlers have to leave their dogs & return to them at that persons pace. It always helps to practice returning to your dog slowly, fast, normal pace etc :) .

ETA - you are allowed to tell your dog to sit or drop or stay etc as many times as you like when you take up your position, judging of the actual stay (apart from penalty for misbehaviour which is what touching the collar etc would get you) doesnt start until the judge says leave your dog.

Edited by MrsD

Procedures vary a little bit from judge to judge IME. Some prefer to do their 'spiel' with the dogs and handlers a metre or so behind the markers. Steward then takes the leads, and you just heel up into position. Personally, I like this procedure, for the reasons Ptolomy mentions.

And all judges I've trialled under allow you to touch your dog (not manually positioning, or taking collar) between exercises, and while the briefing is going on. AFAIK. the 'no touching' bit starts once you have said you are ready - which is when judging commences on that particular exercise - and continues till 'Exercise finished'/.

Manually moving the dog, by collar or otherwise, will/should incur 'penalty for misbehaviour' points. This applies the whole time you are in the ring.

The only judge I may possibly have for state trial is Mr C Giles (act), the other judge is a vic judge, so I dont know if he will be likely to do it

I've trialled under him at Albury either earlier this year or late last year (in Open obedience) and found him to be no different to any Victorian judge! Lovely man who had a good old giggle at my "oh shit" which I actually said instead of thought :D I patted my girl in between exercises.

Thanks Mrs D & Tassie, its good to know that the not patting the dog part doesnt seem to be something you guys have had to do either. I learnt the dont touch the collar one in my first trial :D I looked down while the judge was talking to the steward and saw Ed's collar was twisted so I straightened it, judge came over and I looked up and said OMG I'm not allowed to do that! Luckily he knew it was my first trial (he'd asked if I knew the procedure and I said yes but its our first time lol) and was good about it, but I was so embarrased

I've trialled under him at Albury either earlier this year or late last year (in Open obedience) and found him to be no different to any Victorian judge! Lovely man who had a good old giggle at my "oh shit" which I actually said instead of thought :) I patted my girl in between exercises.

Silvawow, thats hilarious! I have let things slip without realising, like at Croyden we had a train come past in stays, which i knew would happen, but then straight after that a plane flew over, and I accidently laughed out loud, oops

I had C Giles for open at last years Nationals and have to agree he was lovely. From memory his heel round was much nicer than the previous days judge!

And whats even better was - WE PASSED!

Ptolomy, good work! Its funny how some judges can make you nervous and some make you more relaxed yet they are all doing the same thing, I know in the show ring I am always really nervous with the judges who dont say anything but just point :D