Tammy's Behavior

Hi everyone,

I just have some questions for the animal behaviorists out there.

Tammy has been home with us for 4 days, which I know is early times for sure. There has been some behavior that was present from the beginning and some that has become known in the past couple of days.

Tammy is a 4 yo Japanese Spitz that we've adopted.

I was wondering if I ran it by you DOL'ers, you could please tell me what you think.

Firstly, she shows quite submissive behaviour - rolls on her back the minute you approach her. She does this to me, husband and kids (5yo and 3yo). When she first got here she was lowering her head as well when you approached but I haven't noticed this lately.

She freezes when you put a lead on her and won't move. I have a retractable lead on the harness. Someone suggested we use a soft lead and let her drag it for a while to get used to the weight (for starters)

Some behavior though seems to be quite stubborn and I was wondering if it's trying to establish some dominance. I don't believe she's had any training - doesnt' respond to sit, stay, down.

1. She flops down right on top of the games the kids are playing on the floor.

2. When I change my toddlers nappy (on a mat on the floor) she can't get close enough, pushes her body right up beside DS so i have difficultly with getting the nappy on.

3. When i feed baby on the chair she sniffs baby's legs and tries to nuzzle me for a pat. Sometimes I do pat her but then she puts her foot up on me or actually on the baby's legs.

4. When I say "down" she doesn't respond or move at all. If i try to move her, she goes all floppy and won't move easily.

these are some things that I've noticed over the past few days. I've never really trained a dog before, so basically I'm wondering if

1. I need to start training her from the beginning as if she was a puppy. Sit, reward etc.

2. Should i start her at a formal dog obediance class

2. Or should I seek a dog behavourist straight away for more individual attention.

Sorry for the ramble, but as I've received great advice and knowledge from DOL I reasoned I'd put my thoughts to the forum.

Regards,

Belinda

doesnt' respond to sit, stay, down.

Why would she respond if she doesnt know the meaning of the word. You havent tought her what those words mean, and obviously noone before you did. She needs to be tought what do words mean before she responds to them.

1. I need to start training her from the beginning as if she was a puppy. Sit, reward etc.

3. Or should I seek a dog behavourist straight away for more individual attention.

if yo choose 2 it will follow 1 as well as by the looks of it your dogs isnt used to the lead, nor knows comands.

if you belive she displays some unusual behaviours than go for 3. but from what you described I cant see anything drastic - just a dog that doesnt know what to do or what not to do in certain situations.

BTW - I love Jap Spitz - one of my fav small breeds, I had fostered one for a while, got on like a house on fire with my dobermann. As a result I ahve recomended the breed to some friends of mine and they are extremly happy with the the dog they have. Full of personality, loving with the family, full of drive and willingness to do things and great with kids! Good luck with yours.

Belinda,I would consult a good Trainer for both the dog and yourself.The relationship between your family and the Dog will depend on knowledge and applied knowledge.You mention that you have never really trained a Dog in your post.One could start off with little knowledge and through much time,frustraion,worry,trial and error eventually get there or you could follow a trainer's advice and take much of the trial and error and time out of establishing a mutally beneficial partnership between the dog and your Family. Tony

Congrats on your new dog- yes it is early days but best to seek advice now as you have done. Agree with tonymc- i would consider doing a one on one session before entering a group class, particularly so that the trainer can provide some advice on building the dogs confidence with the children. Perhaps if you give an approximate location, DOLers can recommend someone.

Full of personality, loving with the family, full of drive and willingness to do things and great with kids!

So far, we are very happy with her. She's been really good with the kids, seems to be a gentle soul - got a bit frisky this morning with her feet on the wet grass!!! She's been really good with a good wash - lots of brushing and loving!! Seems to crave affection.

Monelite - you're so correct, I can't assume she has any prior knowlege and then expect too much of her.

Belinda,I would consult a good Trainer for both the dog and yourself.The relationship between your family and the Dog will depend on knowledge and applied knowledge.You mention that you have never really trained a Dog in your post.One could start off with little knowledge and through much time,frustraion,worry,trial and error eventually get there or you could follow a trainer's advice and take much of the trial and error and time out of establishing a mutally beneficial partnership between the dog and your Family. Tony

Tony - yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I would benefit from the trainer as much as Tammy and then have more confidence in how I approach things with her.

The good - I suppose any dog will sit for a chicken neck :vomit:

The bad - scratching and snorting at the door to come upstairs last night when I was trying to go to sleep. Never done that before

Each day brings something new.....

Just make sure, as with a puppy, you ignore any behaviour that you don't want to encourage. If she's scratching and snorting to be let in and you go get her, it teaches her to keep doing it to get what she wants... It sucks in the beginning, but they learn pretty quickly what works and what doesn't.

TerraNik - thankfully she only has done in on that one night.

My sleeps are particularly precious at the moment because I'm up every 4-6 hours with the baby.

But if she does it again I'm definately going to ignore it.

Animal Aid runs an excellent dog training company called K9 Kompany.

They offer puppy class, basic obedience right through to advanced obedience trialling, agility, flyball, private one-on-one training, etc.

It is all very reasonably priced and all the profits go to Animal Aid.

Classes are run every day of the week & weekend at all different times of the day & evening.

All classes are indoors in a huge centre fully decked out with all sorts of doggy equipment - inside the Lilydale Showgrounds :happydance:

I go there, I think they're fab ;)

Hi everyone,

I just have some questions for the animal behaviorists out there.

Tammy has been home with us for 4 days, which I know is early times for sure. There has been some behavior that was present from the beginning and some that has become known in the past couple of days.

Tammy is a 4 yo Japanese Spitz that we've adopted.

I was wondering if I ran it by you DOL'ers, you could please tell me what you think.

Firstly, she shows quite submissive behaviour - rolls on her back the minute you approach her. She does this to me, husband and kids (5yo and 3yo). When she first got here she was lowering her head as well when you approached but I haven't noticed this lately.

She freezes when you put a lead on her and won't move. I have a retractable lead on the harness. Someone suggested we use a soft lead and let her drag it for a while to get used to the weight (for starters)

Some behavior though seems to be quite stubborn and I was wondering if it's trying to establish some dominance. I don't believe she's had any training - doesnt' respond to sit, stay, down.

1. She flops down right on top of the games the kids are playing on the floor.

2. When I change my toddlers nappy (on a mat on the floor) she can't get close enough, pushes her body right up beside DS so i have difficultly with getting the nappy on.

3. When i feed baby on the chair she sniffs baby's legs and tries to nuzzle me for a pat. Sometimes I do pat her but then she puts her foot up on me or actually on the baby's legs.

4. When I say "down" she doesn't respond or move at all. If i try to move her, she goes all floppy and won't move easily.

these are some things that I've noticed over the past few days. I've never really trained a dog before, so basically I'm wondering if

2. Or should I seek a dog behavourist straight away for more individual attention.

Sorry for the ramble, but as I've received great advice and knowledge from DOL I reasoned I'd put my thoughts to the forum.

Regards,

Belinda

Hi Belinda,

I'm not a behaviourist, but I have owned dogs for many years. My first advice would be this: you have acquired an adult dog whose history is not known. Separate her from your baby. Now.

By all means, begin training her; if you are not experienced in this area, obedience classes will help you both. On the domestic front, think management: baby gates, crates, set routines - whatever it takes to keep the dog part of the family, while keeping your children safe. You can choose any number of arrangements to suit your circumstances, but I can't emphasise enough that your present arrangements may be putting your children at risk. Dogs do not view children in the same way as adults.

As she's only been with you for a short time, and appears to be showing some anxiety-related behaviour, I would suggest simply allowing her to hang out with the family for a bit. Don't give her too much attention, don't reassure her when she goes belly up; simply give her a space of her own (and I'm thinking crate here) where she can observe the family without being threatened. Do not allow the children to approach her while she's in her space. When the children are in bed at night, let her out and spend some time observing what she does.

A good trainer will be able to give you lots of simple advice about positive techniques, which will help you to feel in charge of the situation (which is what the dog is asking you, by the way).

Good luck, and good for you, in giving this dog a chance.

Julie

(Tasmania)

Sam&Saki - I will have a look.

GreatBigPuppy - I agree to let her settle. Now a couple of weeks in we have noticed changes in her - she seems relaxed and comfortable.

Julieanna - I agree with you. She is never unsupervised with my children.

I have taken a bit of a step back and am watching her settle in, watching her relate to the kids and get to know us. So far I have seen really positive reactions from her - patience, approaching the kids for a pat, letting her brush them (well the 5 year old), happily laying down with the kids while watching the tv.

But you are absolutely correct that she is an adult with an unknown past - I will be vigilant.

The training side of things will happen when we all trust each other and we are taking it slowing and not rushing it. We have been working on "sit" with success.

Crate training seems ideal (i've been reading up on it) In the meantime, she has been given a bed that is her place that the kids aren't allowed to touch her on and she quite likes under the dining room table.