Dog Poo: A Tasty Treat?

Hello All,

I really don't know where I should be posting this...possibly in the nutrition section ;)

I adopted a dog from a shelter a couple of weeks ago. He is very skinny and absolutely desparate for any food that he can find. I suspect that he thinks he might not be getting any more :(

The problem that we are having is that he is out in the garden eating dog poo at every available opportunity :)

I clean up the garden poo every night, and was confused as to why there was so little dog poo with two dogs. Well, now I know...

He sneaks out of the doggy door and hides behind the wheelie bin and eats it and is very concerned when I catch him and try to stop him.

Does this happen often (god I hope it's not just me...) Is this a training issue? Does he think it's food? I really don't know what to do...

I'm off to buy him a tooth brush tomorrow...

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

I must admit, while I don't know much about this particular 'problem' I know there certainly are other dogs around that eat poo. That's about the only thing I can do, is reassure you that you're not the only one! Unfortunately, I don't know why they do it or how to fix it, as I've never had to look into the issue before. Hopefully somebody else here can provide some insight!

What breed is the dog?

Good luck :)

There can be numerous reasons for copraphagia.

Rather than go through the list, I'm first thinking you need to concentrate on diet. Your dog may be trying to self-supplement for something that is missing (and this might be the reason he is thin?). It's only been a couple of weeks since you have had him and perhaps you have taken diet into account. Has he gained any weight since you have had him? What is his current weight? Has he seen a Vet? What are his stools like (the dog's .... not the Vet's)? Assume he's been wormed?

This also could be a habit developed from his prior home, but IMO we should leave off with the other possibilities until diet has been considered/discussed.

In the meantime, clean up behind your dog as quickly as is possible.

Don't lose sleep too much, at the moment, about the copraphagia behaviour. Generally it in itself is not harmful to the dog (although I know we find it disgusting - just don't be letting him lick your face!! :)) Focus on eliminating ill-health as being the cause of the behaviour, though. Once that is eliminated, there are other suggestions that can be offered, but I didn't want to confuse the issue by going into those at the moment.

Edited by Erny

I glanced out the window yesterday and saw our Bulldog eating the Rotti's poo before it even hit the ground - direct from 'the source' :)

Prolly doesn't want to have it get dirty first.

Ooh, it has a name! Thanks Erny :)

I have had him for 2 weeks, stools appear normal and he is currently 10.45 kg. He is around knee height and you can feel all of his ribs and every little bump of his spine and his stomach area is concave. I would estimate that he has gained about .5 - 1kg since I got him, but it is hard to tell as he had a very severe haircut in between his first weigh in and his second weigh in as his fur was matted!

He is of unknown parentage - the shelter told me he is a shih tzu, but he doesn't look like a Shih Tzu. Bearded Collie x ?? has been suggested.

He has been wormed and has been to the vet more times than I care to think of in the last 2 weeks. He was suffering from quite a bad case of kennel cough, had an infected abcess on his leg and had a rash on his belly - all of which are now OK. He was on antibiotics for about 1 week and also had cortisone injections.

I have been feeding him the same food that my dachshund has been eating for the past 2 years and she is very healthy - some dry food in the morning and home made food in the evenings (checked by the vet, various recipes including pasta, rice, chicken, kangaroo, mince, veggies, grains etc etc). Have been feeding him more than I normally would in an attempt to fatten him up.

if he's that thin try giving him more meals per day in smaller quantities. If he has been starved his system may not be able to handle large regular meals and the general protocol is to feed smaller more often. you can even try feeding a little bit of Hills i/d or a/d from the vets as a supplementary

Also if the dog has been starved some will eat their own faeces in an attempt to survive. Whats good for your daschund may not be right for this little dog who may need a convalescence bland diet to help his body recover.

Edited by Nekhbet

I glanced out the window yesterday and saw our Bulldog eating the Rotti's poo before it even hit the ground - direct from 'the source' :)

That is really gross but equally hilarious!

Mya occasionally eats poos too..... Not all the time, and only recently has she begun this.

Prolly doesn't want to have it get dirty first.

:cool: Yeh, 'cos that would just be too gross.

I glanced out the window yesterday and saw our Bulldog eating the Rotti's poo before it even hit the ground - direct from 'the source' :cool:

Strangely, that makes me feel a bit better about Henry ;) ;)

I've been trying to rationalise with him: "You have perfectly nice treats, much better than dog poo"

The neighbours must think I'm a lunatic :)

• 1 month later...

I got a rotty from the pound five years ago - same problem - skinny to start with and arrived with the nasty poo eating habit. I feed Science Diet mainly with bones and treats thrown in, she's wormed regularly and in perfect health except for hip dysplasia. Sorry to say that after five years the habit is still there. She got so good at it that she holds her morning poo in until I'm out of sight then if I'm not quick enough, autorecycles! Yeh, it looks gross but I've given up stressing over it and it doesn't seem to be detrimental to her health.

Hi-aren't dogs innovative ? :love:

I second the small meal, more often, regime.

I would also suggest removing the grain and vegetable component of his diet- at least temporarily.

Both of these are not well digested by dogs, and not really needed anyway, so he may thrive on food which is higher in protein/energy like meat with fat thru/on it, soft bones like lamb brisket and whole chicken wings, plus maybe a good commercial puppy food in small quantities?

The bones have the added attraction of getting him to chew, and taking his mind off other things- as well as supplying a lot of minerals etc !!!